Thread: New GPU or no?

New GPU or no?

Recently snagged the Corsair AXi760 for a great price (under $100.00) and was thinking i might upgrade my GPU. Here's what i'm currently running

AMD FX-6300
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
    8gb DDR3 1600
    Radeon HD 7770 1gb

Mainly i generally only play WoW and D3 and a little Skyrim i found 2 GPU's under 200 bucks i was thinking of getting.
    SAPPHIRE 100364-4GL Radeon R9 270X 4GB 256-Bit

or

MSI R7 370 GAMING 4G Radeon R7 370 4GB 256-Bit

I guess in general would i see a big improvement over my current GPU or would it be a minor improvement considering the games i play?

I can't post links but both are on newegg. Thanks for any advice.

7770 is somewhat running to the end of it's life.. at least if you want to play modern games. WoW/D3/Skyrim still play fine on it though.

If you do want a new graphics card though GTX960 and R9 380(4 gig) are barely above 200 Dollars.

Thank you for the input. Just so i'm understanding you correctly you don't believe i'd see a significant increase in performance over the 7770? If this is the case i'm simply going to put a new GPU on the back burner.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the games aren't slowing down than why upgrade? But between the two choices they're exactly the same cards. But the 370 is cheaper so go with that.

Deleted
    As been said already your GPU is still fine for the games you play. Unless you intend to play newer games at higher graphic settings then I would indeed put GPU on the back burner for now. Around this time next year we will likely see somewhat of a leap in terms of GPU performance with the release of Pascal and DX12. I'd say it's wise to wait until then to upgrade, or even start saving up for an entirely new rig and a high resolution monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to buying anything, always wait. You never lose by waiting. The Radeon HD 7770 is actually equivalent to a PS4 in graphics. By next year AMD will have the ZEN CPU out and I'm sure more graphic cards with HBM memory will be released. So you could upgrade your entire machine then. Plus DX12 and Vulkan will help.

Thanks for all your input guys. Saving me from wasting money always makes me happy. I just wasn't sure if a 4gb card would be a big diff over my 1gb card. Waiting till next year does indeed sound like the wise choice as i'm not seeing any slowing down in the games i play. Thanks again guys and Happy Hunting!

Deleted
    Did you tried to find second hand or refurbished gtx 970? It should be slightly above 250 bucks? I know it is not in planned budged but you will notice drastic performance gain!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trick2 View Post
    Thanks for all your input guys. Saving me from wasting money always makes me happy. I just wasn't sure if a 4gb card would be a big diff over my 1gb card. Waiting till next year does indeed sound like the wise choice as i'm not seeing any slowing down in the games i play. Thanks again guys and Happy Hunting!
    Until you're unhappy with the performance, don't spend money. Remember skylake comes out later this year as well, so you never know. I have a Radeon HD 6850 1GB on my HTPC and it runs Shadow of Mordor just fine with high settings. Was shocked. Not that I game on my HTPC but year a 7770 1GB will play games just fine. There's also the possibility that something may break eventually, so when that happens would be a good time to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Until you're unhappy with the performance, don't spend money. Remember skylake comes out later this year as well, so you never know. I have a Radeon HD 6850 1GB on my HTPC and it runs Shadow of Mordor just fine with high settings. Was shocked. Not that I game on my HTPC but year a 7770 1GB will play games just fine. There's also the possibility that something may break eventually, so when that happens would be a good time to upgrade.
    Indeed, though I just recently reached the point of jumping away from my HD5850, because well, it started to lag behind quite a bit and was unable to run modern games at acceptable frame rate anymore.