Thread: Replacement GPU

10+ Year Old Account

Replacement GPU

My Asus GTX 760 has died on me (I suspect due to overheating) and amazon have agreed to refund it (for £160) rather than have to wait 3 weeks for a replacement.
    I had a quick look and it seems that there is now a GTX 960 for about the same price as well as a R9 380. Question is what would be the best GPU in this price bracket right now?

I'm looking for cool quiet and powerful (who isn't huh?)
    I do have a Samsung 3D TV and a Samsung 3D Monitor which is supported by nVidia, not sure if AMD are able to do this yet... although truth be told I haven't used this feature at all. but would be nice to maintain the ability to use it.

Replacement GPUs I had in mind were:

EVGA 2 GB GTX 960 SuperSC - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TPQPI20 - £162.98
    MSI AMD R9 380 4GB - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZPOBI0M - £184.98

Ideally I need 2x DVI and 1x HDMI at least. (I haven't had much luck on this front)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2015-07-04 at 08:10 AM.

AMD 290 card had major problems driving TV and monitor at the same time. After some google-fu (and even a thread on this forum) it turned out to be a known problem if you have extended desktop using mixed outputs (DVI/DP/HDMI) some screens will have bad flickering and refresh rate issues that has been in AMD cards for many generations.

Was one of the reasons why I sold it and opted for more expensive GTX970 instead. DUnno if this is fixed for the 300 series or not but it sounds like sometihng you should know.
    Last edited by fixx; 2015-07-04 at 08:33 AM.

only playing wow go for 960, if you play other games go for 970 as stated above

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by megabeat View Post
    only playing wow go for 960, if you play other games go for 970 as stated above
    Don't only play WoW... but a 970 is rather a lot more money than the 960 for questionable value:performance gain...

To put it in perspective the: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC ACX Cooling 2.0 4 GB is £120 more than I was planning to spend on an upgrade I wasn't planning to get in the first place.

Truth be told, I'm gaming on 1 screen at 1080p, watching movies and tv shows at 1080p on the tv and browsing the web at 1050. Tasks for which the 760 I had (and even the 560Ti) performed perfectly well.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2015-07-04 at 08:57 AM.

Not suggesting 970, but rather was pointing out that R200 series and older AMD cards are known to have some serious issues with multimonitor setups if it's mixed TV and other screens. 960 is fine for basic gaming, but might not have the grunt for 3D. Oculus rift supposedly needs GTX980/R290X to run decently but 3D wasn't a requirement anyway, just something nice to have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Not suggesting 970, but rather was pointing out that R200 series and older AMD cards are known to have some serious issues with multimonitor setups if it's mixed TV and other screens. 960 is fine for basic gaming, but might not have the grunt for 3D. Oculus rift supposedly needs GTX980/R290X to run decently but 3D wasn't a requirement anyway, just something nice to have.
    Strange...

The issues you mention is something I've had happen with the GTX 500 series from nVidia and never with AMD's cards.
    If anything multi-monitor technology has ALWAYS been more advanced on AMD cards.

In general the R9 380 is the more powerful card if you want a generally focused card, the GTX 960 is overall weaker barring WoW and stuff.

To give you an example: I drive 3 screens, 2 x 27" monitors (iiyama ProLite B2712HDS) and 1 x TV (LG 47LH3000) and it's being driven by DVI, HDMI and mini-DisplayPort.
    I have got no issues whatsoever driving them all at the same time.

Considering you game in general and have no specific attachment to a brand I'd say go with the R9 380 as you main bet.
    As far as power consumption between the 2 goes, it's almost 0 difference whatsoever so temp/heat etc. is fully dependant on the cooler used.