Thread: PC Bottleneck

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

PC Bottleneck

I would like to know what upgrade would give the biggest benefit when playing WoW. I have around £200 in the budget.

My system is:
    Gtx 260 896mb
    Intel core i5 750 2.66ghz 8mb 4.8gt/s
    8gb ddr3
    Asus p7p55d

I am not techie at all. Any help is greatly received.

Cheers!

You should probably look up what PSU you are running, so recommending an upgrade won't run flat on the PSU not delivering enough power.

But your graphics card is quite weak in todays standards, but can't say myself if it will run WoW proper. What I can tell you is about I5 750 and it won't bottleneck that card. It is some bit weaker than current CPUs, but I still have it on my 2nd comp and it's doing fine, though I have it overclocked to 4 GHz(on P7P55D board).. But as you aren't techy I wouldn't recommend OC. Although if you have an aftermarket cooler on it, boosting the bus speed to something 166 MHz from 133 MHz is really easy and only requires a few tweaks on the bios.

In the end to get a meaningful upgrade from I5 750, you need almost all of that 200 Pounds and are still left with a pretty weak graphics card. On what graphics card you should be looking is up to the games you play. For Blizzard games(and MMOs) for example you should probably look at GTX 960 and for everything else R9 380 is pretty sweet.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    My psu is cooler master 700w modular silent. Is that ok for the gtx 960?

I have akasa nero am-967 silent. Is overclocking (that is not too complex) the i5 750 safe with that? Can I just Google how to do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    A game like WoW doesn't care what GPU you use, so it's not something you need to spend money on. A 750 Ti would be an upgrade, but so would a 960 and R9 380. If you play other games and want this setup to last then go for a 960 or even the 380. If not and need a cheap solution the 750 Ti will do the job excellently.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    The only game I play on the pc is WoW and at the moment if I run on ultra I get about 25fps, and that is just questing (so is unplayable in raids). If wow will not benifit from upgrading the gpu, how am I best spending my cash? Or do I need a bigger budget to run on ultra?

Quote Originally Posted by nickchar View Post
    The only game I play on the pc is WoW and at the moment if I run on ultra I get about 25fps, and that is just questing (so is unplayable in raids). If wow will not benifit from upgrading the gpu, how am I best spending my cash? Or do I need a bigger budget to run on ultra?
    It's hard to say as I haven't raided other than early LFR in WoD. And did that with i5 750(normal clocks), and it was more than playable, although I didn't have all settings on max.. so can't really say.

10+ Year Old Account
    On Ultra 1080P yea a faster GPU would help, cause at that point the GPU is the limiting factor. But maybe a good idea to upgrade that CPU. For WoW a G3258 is more than enough. Overclocking maybe above your head but if you're debating buying a new CPU+GPU anyway then try your hand at overclocking the i5 750. What do you plan to do with it anyway if you buy new board+CPU+GPU? Might as well crank up the clock and see what happens. But yea on Ultra get a new GPU.

I would like to know what upgrade would give the biggest benefit when playing WoW. I have around £200 in the budget.

My system is:
    Gtx 260 896mb
    Intel core i5 750 2.66ghz 8mb 4.8gt/s
    8gb ddr3
    Asus p7p55d

I am not techie at all. Any help is greatly received.

Cheers!
    Having run your exact setup before, overclock the i5 and upgrade the video card. A 700W PSU is good enough for any single video card out there, and most SLI/Crossfire setups. The i5 750 is still a very good processor, especially for its age; should probably start thinking about an upgrade about the time Skylake matures, or when its successor is released.
    Super casual.

Motherboard+processor is in most dire need for WoW, but graphics card isn't really up to par either. Unfortunately you'll need pretty much new everything except case and PSU and can probably keep the RAM too for a while at least. You'd need £300-400 to get the computer up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    The i5 750 is still a very good processor, especially for its age
    Not really. At stock clock speeds (OP's is not overclocked) current i5-4690k runs WoW (raids) at double speed compared to i5-750.