Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    give me tomb raider and I'll jump puzzle all day - but in WoW? No, its awful, it feels like your character is drunk and weighs a tonne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Amen to that! If I wanted to play a jump game Id play on my kids nes....
    Why does your kid have an NES?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

I found the jumping puzzles in GW2 to be annoying. The ones I found were quite long and if you fell off there was stupidly long runs back to the start. Both GW2 and WoW suffer from being mouse+keyboard 3rd-person games which tend to be pretty naff for jumping around, but the ones in WoW seem to need a lot less precision, it's mostly a matter of finding the right points to jump from and maybe a couple of mis-jumps to nail it or, failing that, cheat with things like Eye of Kilrogg, gliders and a Swapblaster.

That said, I was in the pirate cave with a guildy this week and she could not make the jump at all, ended up drowning herself so someone could ress her on the platform. Later that same day I used my glider to cheat and got stuck behind some crates, had to make a summoning portal so my party could get me out again. That was the day I realised I should make a Swapblaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jumping puzzles are for games like super mario brothers and smash bandicoot, not world of warcraft. If i wanted jump puzzles I'd do them in a game that does them well. How much art and development time is being wasted on these? Probably a lot, maybe that's why we only got 1 patch this horrible expansion.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Maplestory's jump puzzles sucked though
    Those are probably intentionally designed to waste your time (and piss you off). LOL.

It is a grindfest of a game.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2015-07-06 at 02:43 PM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Ugh, the people in here.
    "I don't like this so screw other people, how dare they enjoy different things, Blizzard don't even think spending development time on that anymore".
    Seriously? Well I don't participate in PvP at all, should Blizzard stop making PvP content too?

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    They're amazingly fun and intuitive in GW2. .
    Different strokes, I guess. Jumping puzzles was one of the reasons I stopped playing GW2 and have yet to pick it up again.

I'm really not thrilled about them being in WoW either.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballrug View Post
    Jumping puzzles in WoW, which require some client-server communication, will make you want to set fire to your computer if your latency is 200+ msec.
    It's not as big a problem as you think.

WoW handles movement client-side, i.e. it lets the client decide were the player is, thus latency won't be a factor.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

The new caves in Tanaan are freaking awesome, they finally built some new ones instead of constantly reusing them. I actually haven't seen the one from the second picture yet, but the first one was great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    Different strokes, I guess. Jumping puzzles was one of the reasons I stopped playing GW2 and have yet to pick it up again.

I'm really not thrilled about them being in WoW either.
    Well I had some fun with jumping puzzles in GW2 and to some extent also in LOTRO (drunken rope-walking with jumping around...), but in WoW it's like the necessary evil for me, not a fun element. The game mechanics are just too clunky for that, and I just hate the low responsiveness of the game in regards to jumping. I got my 100 treasures for the flying achievement, but I will surely not bother with the rest (except maybe some pets and toys which I don't have already). Tanaan treasures at least contribute to the daily...

Anyway, the only platforming I recall from Classic is the one Blackfathom Deeps passage which could be avoided on an alternative path. That was OK. Current implementation is not OK for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    The new caves in Tanaan are freaking awesome, they finally built some new ones instead of constantly reusing them. I actually haven't seen the one from the second picture yet, but the first one was great.
    I know what you mean, I've been leveling a gnome warrior for a bit and must have been through two or three identical caves before I left Dun Morog. At least it's not as bad as the cave they clone for nelfs.

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    In WoW, though, the camera, jumping, and everything conspire to make you feel like you should just not bother. And I LOVE jumping puzzles. What I don't love about them in WoW is how easy it is to overshoot or misjudge jumping distance because Blizz put the platforms just a weeeee bit too close together, or too close to an object that's blocking the camera. And then you're jumping blind and gently tapping the space bar and... nope, overshot again, fuck this, I'm out!
    Ugh, I still remember that weekly Timeless Isle treasure you could only reach by jumping on those pillars. I always failed at the last one >_<

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's fun in other games where engines are designed to handle that sort of motion. It's bad in WoW. Story, end of.
    BAD WOLF

If this OP isn't trolling that I am just sad.

Deleted
    Look, someone found the jumping puzzles.

They were a reason to remove flying. So enjoy them with having that in mind.

Jumping puzzles are pretty great.

GW2 has amazing ones. Not only are they fun because they're fun and feel like exploration, but a bunch of times it would start conversation like 'hey are you stuck? try over here ' with some random guy you see doing it or someone would be like 'omg how do you do this' in zone chat or guild chat and you could jump over and show them and start a little socialization, and it's awesome to have stuff like that out in the world.

More stuff like that would be great.
    Last edited by lazorexplosion; 2015-07-06 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck jumping puzzles in MMORPGs. If I wanted to play Uncharted, I'd fucking play Uncharted.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else hate it when you go to jump & you just walk/run off the edge instead. Even though you hit the space bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Ugh, the people in here.
    "I don't like this so screw other people, how dare they enjoy different things, Blizzard don't even think spending development time on that anymore".
    Seriously? Well I don't participate in PvP at all, should Blizzard stop making PvP content too?
    The difference is, PvP has always been an integral part of the MMO experience. Jumping puzzles are a cheap gimmick in the box of lazy development gimmicks right there next to "Cover-based shooting" and "When In Doubt, Color It Brown." Further, WoW's engine is not at all optimized for platforming. Platforming in WoW is like trying to platform in Mirror's Edge with the bonus of crappy physics and a character that handles like the Mako in Mass Effect on a good day.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I love it when you hit spacebar to jump then the character decided it would just rather fall off than jump. Nothing is more frustrating than that.