Poll: Should mogging get a facelift?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Does transmogrification need modernizing?

I suppose the question is simple enough. It’s my contention that transmogrification is one of the most successful features Blizzard ever put into World of Warcraft, evidenced by the community that’s sprung up round about it and the percentage of players that mog their outfits into something they like.

That said, I do think that it’s in need of some reforms. There are some minor complaints tacked on with some real annoyances, and I reckon Blizzard could do worse than expanding the system into something else.

Here are some ideas.

1) Fix the rules. Some of them, quite honestly, make absolutely no sense and the decision behind some of the restrictions cannot be any more than arbitrary.

2) Create a wardrobe. Rather than having to keep every item, create a wardrobe that saves the item you’ve collected and let you browse to it.

3) Implement dyes. Tired of finding a great piece, but having it the wrong colour? Dyes solve the problem, and make more items fit together.

4) Create progression. Putting transmogrification into the achievement system could provide gear unlocks and titles for committed moggers to chase.

5) Stop locking sets behind raid walls. The new sets should be cosmetically available for players that don’t raid, but love the look of new armour. [I've been persuaded that this isn't fair.]

And that’s just a few ideas.

Personally, I dislike systems that are put into the game and then largely forgotten about because they’re “good enough”. Transmogrification is an example of a system that could easily be expanded, and open up a whole world of new customization for players that want to get involved in it.

What do you think?

Deleted
    It's a personal issue for me but how about they hurry up and remove the fist weapon/dagger restriction? If warriors can transmog staffs and polearms without this "animation issue" they gave us then I don't see why we can't have fist weapons and daggers readily available for transmog.

Deleted
    I'm kind of supportive of it, though I'm not sure how able the engine would be to deal with making those kinds of changes.

For example, the thing I'd be most concerned about is separating secondary and primary dye colors, and how they'd kind of be hard to distinguish between, simply because there are so many pieces. I'd be worried that the dyes would be more of an overlay 'tint' color than an actual dye on specific parts.

I agree though that it'd be a great avenue for some form of progression & content, I'm just unsure about the exact implementation. I know GW2 did a pretty good job simply because they built the dye system as they were building the gear sets, but if Blizz were to ever put in something like this, I'd fear for some sort of manual effort to redo textures on everything, and from one view I'd say they'd be pretty unwilling to go through all of that.

If they did something like create a cut-off point, and say, they're going to make certain sets dye-able, and start supporting dyes for any new gear, that might be an alright way to go around things.

Again, though, there doesn't seem to be much incentive on their part to implement such a system, as there was simply with basic transmog, but it'd be kind of nice to have dyes for warcraft's aesthetic - Guild Wars had some great colors and primary/secondary separation, but the actual gear was kind of overtly.. I guess overdone, in terms of graphics, to the point where it didn't really look outstanding as much as it looked like 'oh, hey, this is realistic and fashionable, I guess'.

without this "animation issue" they gave us
    Can tell you without a doubt that that's a cop-out excuse. Binding set animations to gear that is tagged as being mogged isn't rocket science.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    So much #2. Rift implemented this and it's fantastic. It works out well with Diablo, why not WoW?
    Last edited by Gegan; 2015-07-06 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    Something tells me that with these lists it's the sort of thing Blizzard will capitalise on with the next expansion. They're easy enough changes that provide a good amount of convenience and enrichment that people can get a bit excited over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    It's a personal issue for me but how about they hurry up and remove the fist weapon/dagger restriction? If warriors can transmog staffs and polearms without this "animation issue" they gave us then I don't see why we can't have fist weapons and daggers readily available for transmog.
    Agree. Especially annoying as a caster, when the dagger/mace/whatever just sits on my hip the majority of the time.

Edit to answer the OP's question more fully:
    I'm personally all for opening up transmog as much as possible.
    Absolute top of my wishlist for mogging is a wardrobe feature.

I'd love to see a dye system, but I have no clue how difficult that would be to implement (although I recall seeing comments from Blizz staff previously which make me think we're unlikely to see it. They seem to like a lot of control over the appearance of gear).
    When you look at a specific armour set, you'll usually see between 2 - 5 colours used consistently across the whole set, so it strikes me as something that might convert well to dying, if you use a system similar to GW2's.

I'd also be really happy to see cosmetic armour rewards from achievements. Aside from the occasional mount, I'm not much interested in achievements. This would give me a reason to invest more time in them.
    Last edited by Kerath; 2015-07-06 at 01:46 PM.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

They are going to implement the "wardrobe" into the system (it works in D3 as well), but there is no ETA. It was mentioned in an interview if I am correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    1) Fix the rules. Some of them, quite honestly, make absolutely no sense and the decision behind some of the restrictions cannot be any more than arbitrary.
    I know their reasoning but I don't agree with it. There are plenty of games that survive just fine with people looking like complete idiots, running around with frying pans. Let them!

2) Create a wardrobe. Rather than having to keep every item, create a wardrobe that saves the item you’ve collected and let you browse to it.
    This too, would be good. I'm never going to actually equip that iLvl 200 sword or that Cata PvP gear again.

3) Implement dyes. Tired of finding a great piece, but having it the wrong colour? Dyes solve the problem, and make more items fit together.
    Would love to see dyes

4) Create progression. Putting transmogrification into the achievement system could provide gear unlocks and titles for committed moggers to chase.
    Yeah that would be pretty awesome to see

5) Stop locking sets behind raid walls. The new sets should be cosmetically available for players that don’t raid, but love the look of new armour.
    No, I actually disagree with this. I want the raid sets to remain where they are. While the expansion is relevant, I can feel good I am wearing my tier set (if I like it) without thinking that everyone is wearing it. It feels more of an achievement when I finish collecting it than if I could just mog into it the moment the patch drops. As it is, older tier sets can be freely gotten by all up to MoP's sets. Even MoP's sets can be easily 5 or 10-manned to get the best ones.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes to the first 3. Also, make it to where if you have a Mythic item, you can transmog the Heroic and Normal versions of that item as well.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I would like to see it made possible to xmog plate to mail (or at least <40 mail). It's quite depressing that not only can warriors/palas not wear our low level sets but we have to watch hunters/shamen waltzing around in them lol.

Need to be more specific, most of the rules make sense to keep the game remotely coherent. Could loosen then up a bit by letting you xmog 1 armor type down but other than that they said they don't want Warriors tanking in cloth robes or 200 pairs of Warglaives running around in main cities and i can understand why.

Would love that and if i remember they said it was a work in progress.

Would love that but they said the game engine doesn't support it at all.

That could be nice.

5) Stop locking sets behind raid walls. The new sets should be cosmetically available for players that don’t raid, but love the look of new armour.
    No, raiding is unrewarding as it is, i don't do it much either anymore but i don't see any reasons to remove the bonus eye-candy they get for putting the time and efforts into it.

If not dyes, at least let us align the colors of our set, similar to SWTORs match to chest option. Don't want people running around with neon pink gear? Fine, let us at least make the colors of whatever we're wearing match the color scheme of one of our existing pieces of gear.

Deleted
    They should allow any gear be mogged into any other gear, provided it's the same slot ofcourse. We already have lore charactes wearing an assortment of cloth-leather-mail-plate in the imagery, why not make it so for players as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Seem to have missed this the first time around.
    I actually disagree with this. I think it's fine to have raid sets only available to raiders while the content is in the current expansion.
    It's easy enough to go back and clear old raids solo or with a small group when the content is not current and pick up item sets. We have a lot to choose from even when you disregard current raiding gear.

Something else I thought of: I would like to see more of the old PVP gear available for gold. I don't like to pvp. At all. I used to be able to convert excess justice points to honour points and pick up some old PVP gear, it wasn't the most time-efficient method, but allowed me to pick up what was essentially cosmetic gear without having to PVP.
    As they've gotten rid of justice points, I don't have this option anymore.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want full artistic freedom.

Deleted
    Would love an account wide wardrobe, including tabards preferably. It's rather annoying to have gear I love on characters I will never play, and be completely unable to make use of them on the characters that I do play... I would also like them to allow transmogging your weapon into weapons your class can't use, Shaman's for example can not use swords (even if there's no real reason for them not to be able to), but why restrict them from transmogging their weapon into one?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be all for this stuff.

The argument against legendaries is completely arbitrary. People run around town with them ANYWAY. On top of that, how many people do you REALLY think are going to transmog legendaries? After the first month or so, the coolness will wear off, people will realize the weapons don't match their chosen sets at all, and go back to whatever they were using before. And the other solid argument against this is, people can already transmog Sulfuras, as the made an identical (or close enough, anyway) epic version from Firelands. I've seen maybe two people in the entire time transmog has been available that actually use it.

If dyes won't work with the current engine, that is just YET ANOTHER reason they need to upgrade this game to a new engine.

The wardrobe...oh good lord I can't wait for this to be implemented. My void storage is completely full of weapons and armor sets that I MIGHT use at some point.

Raid sets - maybe after the expansion. And put them behind some sort of pay wall. Gold, currency of some kind, w/e. But I definitely agree they need to make them available, as we currently have no access to LFR tiers of gear from prior expansions, because we can't queue up for it.

Fist and daggers - their animations are different, plain and simple. Though I agree, I can't really see a reason why that is relevant - the model and animations are based on what weapons you have equipped, so just tell the system that you have one or the other equipped based on transmog.

I was commenting in another thread about the whole armor color mismatch thing. It drives me crazy that we have so many shades of every color, and none of them (between expansions, at least) match most of the time. You might get extremely lucky and find ones that do, but for the most part, they don't. But this sort of goes hand in hand with updating the older textures as well, to bring them closer to what we have today. It would be nice to get model revamps, but isn't necessary, just the textures.

As for achievements and such, meh, I could totally see a purpose behind it, but it is so far down my list of wants at the moment that I don't really care. I'd imagine it would be fairly simple to implement especially when they give us our wardrobes. The sheer amount of rewards they could give us is crazy to think about.

I also want a tabard container, and the ability to swap them out from our character sheet wherever we are. Most tabards old and new serve no purpose, there are only a handful that actually grant you anything, and most of them are situational, that it shouldn't matter if we can swap them out on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Agree with all points but 5. I think they could do a better job making off-set items more available (Often it's just one particular drop from one particular boss on a loot table of 14+ things) but otherwise it's fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wardrobe is coming at least. They talked about it for WoD and then said early on it'll like be in the following expansion... would expect it to come as part of the new tabard system they've been talking about for the past couple of years. I won't be surprised if it's one of the big features of the next expansion.

Relaxing the rules is something I'm fine with. Might as well give people freedom. Gear appearances and prestige are a thing of the past and I'm fine with relaxing most of the rules and allowing invisible item slots. It works in other games.

I'm against Dyes though. Dye systems nearly always look like crap in other games, and colour of items is important in WoW. I wouldn't like to see them get lazy and stop handpainting items so you can blanket them with flat ugly dye colours.

Yes. There are a lot of unique white items (pandaren starter robes, for example) that look fantastic but you cannot use. And allow invisible things too.

Then the system should work like a "collection" rather than the single items in your bags. Like heirlooms.