Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Probably it was some kind of weird fetish. Who knows.

Explosiosexual? Nah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    "His brother Cody Staples, 25, told the Daily News he was standing five feet away from Devon in a backyard in Calais, Maine. He said his brother was holding a lighter and it accidentally caused the firework to go off."
    Why was a firework on his head whilst holding a lighter?

10+ Year Old Account
    He was drinking. Even the smartest of people do dumb shit when they drink.
    Exactly. That's why I don't drink.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    So according to the brother, who was standing right nearby, the explosion blew the guy up like...completely...there wasn't much left.

It says it was a mortar tube style firework...which confuses me... had it been in the tube then it should have launched and the only injury would be from taking the (significant ) recoil of the tube. It seems as though it went off right there on the ground which means this guy used a round from a mortar cannon and set it off on his head.......has he never seen war movies?? Does he not know that in war we use similar small rounds to effectively kill groups of people at a time?

I don't care how much you had to drink there was something wrong with this guy. His brother says 'he wasn't the kind of guy to do dangerous things like this, he was the kind of guy who would pretend to do it to make people laugh'. Really? 'Hey look guys, I'm an inch from committing suicide, isn't this just HILARIOUS!?!?' How much of an attention whore does one need to be?
    I'd expect that a mortar tube wouldn't work well when it's off the ground. That whole equal and opposite reaction thing means that without the earth under a mortar tube, the projectile might not fly out far enough or at all. It probably blew up in the tube with his head right next to it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think that things like this happen every 4th of July because many people don't consider fireworks to be dangerous. Any amount of explosive material can be dangerous under the right circumstances.

I'm also a little puzzled that it appears to have blown the guy's head off. I'm not familiar with reloadable firework mortars, but maybe the firework simply exploded rather than launching and then exploding.

Deleted
    Cause he was playing around, being stupid (cause he was drunk).
    You don't really believe that scenario?

Deleted
    Cause he was playing around, being stupid (cause he was drunk).
    That doesn't excuse his stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    You don't really believe that scenario?
    It's actually far more believable than the alternative.

Deleted
    Being drunk can excuse a lot of things. You don't think correctly. You do and say things you wouldn't normally say or do.
    Getting drunk knowing you're operating fireworks isn't excusable

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being drunk can excuse a lot of things. You don't think correctly. You do and say things you wouldn't normally say or do.
    Whilst I can attest to doing stupid shit whilst drunk, I've still always had at least a shred of sense not to use something that could blow my head off.

Deleted
    Wow, the Darwin Award competition is tight this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The guy who taunted the alligator tops him.
    Most gators carry either a gat or a crucifix. Can't trust them people from Gainsville.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ what kind of firework was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post
    Jesus christ what kind of firework was it?
    Possibly this

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

And the Darwin award goes to...

He was drinking. Even the smartest of people do dumb shit when they drink.
    Smart people don't drink that much.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know that some fireworks have the bang to relocate one's head, but I wasn't sure how this particular arrangement of head and firework managed to result in a missing head. It would have been interesting if the reporter had investigated a bit further to see if the firework didn't work as intended and why.

It could be that:

1. The firework was working as it was supposed to, but the improper handling of the mortar yielded an unexpected result

2. The firework simply malfunctioned. Anyone who has lit off a hundred bottle rockets has seen that a couple just explode instead of launching and then exploding.

3. The guy put the wrong kind of firework in the mortar. Some fireworks launch and then go boom, and some just go boom. If he put the "just go boom" kind in a mortar, that could have been what caused the problem.

Fireworks aren't dangerous by themselves - idiots with fireworks are. The majority of firework related injuries are 15yr olds and younger and the majority of those are from illegal explosive devices that were banned in the 60s like M80s and 1/4 sticks.

YouTube is full of idiots playing games with Roman candles and the like. Every firework comes with a label saying it isn't a toy yet kids account for 65%+ of the injuries.

On topic: An artillery shell is very powerful - the shockwave and initial flash alone can cause serious damage. If loaded upside down the result can be devastating especially if launched from PVC which is a big no no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Um...drinking whilst using fireworks is requisite for any fourth of July party.

dunno how you guys do it but here the two come hand in hand, they even sell them in the same isle at some stores.
    No legitimate consumer fireworks store sells alcohol and only idiots mix the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Deleted
    At least he went out with, you know, a bang.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Getting drunk knowing you're operating fireworks isn't excusable
    Again you don't get it.

I'm not just saying this to say it.

There is literally a standardized Fourth of July party scenario here.

You cook a big ass lunch/diner, most likely outside on the grill, this is when the drinking starts. Pregaming begins when the grill gets lit. you spend the afternoon outside drinking and eating, then as it gets later you start out with the sparklers and little fireworks, let the kids have some fun. As it gets dark you bring out the big guns and starting making some real noise. At this point you've been drinking for about half the day so you've probably gotten drunk and sobered up two or three times.

There are variations on this theme but in general this is how it works.

As for myself, this year was the first in a long time when I did not get any of my own fireworks, just ran out of time to deal with it on my own. Instead there is a field about 4 blocks from my house where the neighborhood association fires off a professional show and then about 15 houses around the field spend three house taking turns firing off the biggest legal rounds you can buy. It was pretty awesome, three solid ours of fireworks coming from every direction and popping right above you...the perfect end to the perfect day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    No legitimate consumer fireworks store sells alcohol and only idiots mix the two.

Who said 'fireworks store' There are stores all over the place that sell fireworks just for the fourth. Hell even grocery stores sell fireworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof