Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well the UK didn't win anything so they're not champions. Additionally, since men's football is actually a big thing here unlike the US, the women's game doesn't have anywhere near as much spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Considering the possibility it could be considered sexist is ridiculous? Sounds like someone prefers not thinking past their first opinion.
    It gets old hearing it in virtually every goddamn thread regardless of the subject matter, yes. Feels like alot of people just LOOK for any way to interpret something as sexist these days.

Our champions? I don't get it. So what, their good at sports and get over paid to play games all day. Sounds like a typical pro athlete to me. That doesn't mean they need to be put on such pedestals or considered for being put on the money. Not like they changed the US / World at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Is @england all of England? If I left a message would that one cute girl I saw at the store when I was there on vacation be able to get back to me?
    Yeah man its a Hive Mind, she'd get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    You're the one who clearly needs attention, trying to rant and rave about this.

But maybe I'm wrong. So let's dissect the statement. "Our #Lionesses go back to being mothers, partners, and daughters today...." Right there, we can see the problem.

Don't see it? It's the phrase "go back to" which presents the problem. To go back to something means to return to it; you do not go back to something you already are, or that you never left in the first place. You only go back to something if you left it at some point.

So the tweet is saying that they were NOT mothers, partners, and daughters while they were busy being Lionesses. Giving them the title "hero", while nice, doesn't change that inherent assumption.

I'm ignoring the inclusion of "mothers, partners" in the phrase, because while it is true that not all women are mothers or partners (assuming the word "partner" here is used in the marital or romantic sense), it is true that all women are daughters by definition, so that part isn't problematic. What is problematic is the reason it's assumed that these "Lionesses" couldn't carry such designations while playing a sport.

We don't know the reason, but the first reason that comes to mind is the belief that such sports are the province of men, so while men can do these things while being fathers/partners/sons, women must leave such titles behind. This reason is, of couse, speculation, and I will not judge the Tweet based on that inherently.

But on the fact that there is an assumption for some reason that women are not capable of simultaneously being football players and mothers/partners/daughters? Yes, I'm going to judge them for that.

Keep in mind that this judgement isn't based on interpretation, or speculation, or assumption. It's based on the exact meaning of their words. You cannot go back to something you never left. There is no misinterpretation, twisting of words, or leaps of faith or logic involved here, just a simple explanation of the exact meaning of their words. If that is not what they meant, they misspoke so horribly that they have no business making such tweets in the first place.
    Again...calling people Mother's and daughters is sexist? Calling them heroes is sexist?

You're attributing a lot of shit not being said to something that actually was. This is what is generally known as assumptions...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    fucking christ Themus we aren't even talking about male "football" players here. calling them mothers and daughters is what, untrue?
    If they said about men "go back to being fathers and sons" I would also say it's a little patronizing... What the topic is about is whether saying they're going back to that is sexism or not, the topic question is. Did they say these comments because they're women or because they don't think much of their athleticism, or being cheesy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    Well the UK didn't win anything so they're not champions. Additionally, since men's football is actually a big thing here unlike the US, the women's game doesn't have anywhere near as much spotlight.

It gets old hearing it in virtually every goddamn thread regardless of the subject matter, yes. Feels like alot of people just LOOK for any way to interpret something as sexist these days.
    The subject matter is about sexism though, are we not suppose to talk about the fucking sexism possibility?

If they said about men "go back to being fathers and sons" I would also say it's a little patronizing... What the topic is about is whether saying they're going back to that is sexism or not, the topic question is. Did they say these comments because they're women or because they don't think much of their athleticism, or being cheesy?
    the last one.

What's patronizing or sexist about pointing out that athletes have families?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    the last one.
    In the end the topic is about the possible sexism in the comment, so getting pissy at me because I'm talking about the topic doesn't make a lot of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    What's patronizing or sexist about pointing out that athletes have families?
    It feels patronizing to me, because it doesn't play up their profession.

The subject matter is about sexism though, are we not suppose to talk about the fucking sexism possibility?
    No it's not, it's about how female football players were greeted after being at the World Cup O.o

Any "sexism" in it has been interpreted by you. I r truly confuzz.

It feels patronizing to me, because it doesn't play up their profession.
    Well truthfully nobody cares how it feels to you. Because you're not the one being referenced. Unless we missed something and you're a member of the England Women's World Cup team...?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    No it's not, it's about how female football players were greeted after being at the World Cup O.o

Any "sexism" in it has been interpreted by you. I r truly confuzz.
    By me? Did you even bother to read the link in the damn OP before making this foolish comment?

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Not a chance in hell that a Soccer player gets put on our money.
    I would be rather annoyed if the "only" thing she did was play "footy".
    Kind of see face on a bill as more of a president/cure for cancer/Nobel prize thing.
    As celeb obsessed as we are in the states , I would hope we still have a line.

Maybe bring back the 100k bill and put kim K's ass on it?
    Sorry, couldn't pass the joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Holy shit. What is this thread?! All I see is people looking for insult/sexism where there is literally none...
    Well victimhood goes to waste if you don't remind people frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Well truthfully nobody cares how it feels to you. Because you're not the one being referenced. Unless we missed something and you're a member of the England Women's World Cup team...?
    Is this suppose to mean something? You seem to waste your time a lot just trying to annoy versus being honest.

By me? Did you even bother to read the link in the damn OP before making this foolish comment?
    Lol, the Uk's comment seems a bit sexist here and patronizing. Unless they say the same about men.
    Are you just writing things for fun at this point?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this suppose to mean something? You seem to waste your time a lot just trying to annoy versus being honest.
    I thought it was pretty clear. Give it another try.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The English one is much more respectful and sensible.

Before they got in the world cup no one even gave a fuck about Soccer in America. so to go from nothing to LOL LETS GO PUT THEM ON DA MONEY seems stupid.

Er, yes, I did - the link is just a conjectural article written by someone also interpreting the words of the tweet lol. It's an opinion. So because THEY say it's sexism that's somehow evidence it is?

I'm looking at the actual tweet (ie. the only thing that matters) and forming my own opinion of it rather than parroting the article. And all I'm seeing from the tweet is a statement of fact lol.

Holy shit society has a fucking chip on its shoulder over this stuff these days. It's like walking in a minefield. I think I'm going to avoid using the pronoun "she" from now on just in case I get accused of sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    Well victimhood goes to waste if you don't remind people frequently.
    It's like a drug. They want to be a victim or express some sort of butthurt over nothing in the hopes that someone else latches on to it. Then they can talk about how this thing hurt their feelings so badly, despite it usually having nothing to do with them, or built entirely upon baseless assumptions (like this). By sharing those feelings they gain some sense of catharsis or that they've somehow made the world a better place despite affecting nothing aside from annoying everyone around them. But eventually, those feelings fade and they set off in search of another thing to get offended at to repeat the cycle.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they say the same about men, yes.
    Considering in UK and Australia they refer to most of their players as things like "Our favoured sons return" and such, how could calling them Mothers and daughters be in ANY WAY sexist.

Every Woman ever born is someones daughter..

Oh..just realised its Themius. the comment makes sense now.

Facts are patronizing now.

Oh what the hell