Deleted

Shadow for casual pvp?

Thinking of starting a shadow priest for pvp and pve. Not doing arenas, well maybe 2s for cap, so I'm going to be focusing mainly on pve and 1v1, wpvp and randoms.

Is shadow priest a good choice for this? Tried other ranged classes and they're all boring but shadow seems fun. I just wish I don't waste time leveling to 100 only to find out rogues, dks and ferals totally "outplay" me in 1v1 situations.

- - - Updated - - -

140 views and no answer. Nobody knows, astonishing.

Deleted
    Try different speccs and choose what you like.

I play as Shadow, its a simple specc and if you know what to do its a lot of fun.
    btw, im a casual player too.

If you're wanting a good duel spec it probably isn't the best choice, you'll get shut down by pretty much any melee, but it's excellent in randoms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banomatic View Post
    Thinking of starting a shadow priest for pvp and pve. Not doing arenas, well maybe 2s for cap, so I'm going to be focusing mainly on pve and 1v1, wpvp and randoms.

Is shadow priest a good choice for this? Tried other ranged classes and they're all boring but shadow seems fun. I just wish I don't waste time leveling to 100 only to find out rogues, dks and ferals totally "outplay" me in 1v1 situations.

- - - Updated - - -

140 views and no answer. Nobody knows, astonishing.
    For random bgs/rbgs/wpvp they are amazing.

With regards to duels, as a casual player you will get your ass handed to you by most classes due to lack of defensives, especially by rogues/dks/ferals.

2s for cap, unless you playing with a holy pala/rest druid or really good mage/rogue you may end up smashing your keyboard as you will get trained to death in 99% of the games!!

If you want to play a caster but keep it casual i'd say go warlock atm, they have a ton of survivability, 2 specs to choose from that are not that complicated to learn, you'll have far more fun doing the stuff you listed above than with shadow.

Shadow is really great atm in BGs and Ashran. Cascade does ludicrous pad damage and mind blast/spike hit hard. The damage is very upfront and reliable, you don't have to rely on cooldowns like most other specs in the game. Dots are pretty meh. You can also snipe kbs very easily with SWD.

So damage is great, but as usual survivability is average at best. If you have 1 melee on you that knows what he is doing your glorious damage shuts down and you have to fight for your life. If it is 2 forget it, just bend over or pray a healer is actually watching their raid frames.

Point being that if you plan on soloing mostly spriest is definitely not a good pick, if you plan on playing with premades a lot you can just hide behind them and fire away. Something like mage, hunter and moonking is much better at soloing casual pvp if you want ranged. If you don't mind melee rogue is absolute king of solo pvp of course, nothing even comes close to the immortality and freedom of a rogue.

Deleted
    I enjoy playing my Shadow priest alt in guild random BGs/Ashran as it really shines when you're able to play. You have so much fun utility available as a Shadow priest, shields, feathers, lifegrip, offheals, free offensive dispel, mass dispel and a mini stealth, it's great fun. The problem is that you can't really do much in strictly 1v1 because you are a serious glass cannon that takes a bit of time to start firing. In BGs though you're fine if you can stick relatively close to a healer or have orbs saved from a different encounter.

You're going to kneel to a lot of Rogues, DKs and ferals because they have answers to pretty much everything you can do and you don't have answers for them. A rogue will open from stunlock into silence and then DfA to try and bait you into fearing into it. They'll also cloak as soon as the chain ends to soak your fear out of the opener, and f you do that, you're 100% dead. You won't have any room to breathe at all and landing the fear means they'll have to decide if they want to let you build pressure or if they want to deal with sitting a horror later. DKs are pretty much the same as rogues except they have two kicks and other annoying things like 20sec "cloak" with glyph. Ferals are just ferals, blow you up through disperse because incarn lasts 30 and berserk 15 to your measly 6s disperse.

Cascade got nerfed today by 20% in PvP but it'll still hurt like hell; it's a smart ability that dishes out serious pressure in mass PvP situations. It's one of the main reasons why scoreboards like these are common:

Dissapointed with the cascade nerf, but cant say im surprised really, alot of rbg teams were taking 3 SP along with an affy lock and boomy, which create insane burst aoe preassure with cascade, it will still be good since its a smart damage ability but should reduce the propensity to stack them.

I find 1v1's in bgs really dependant on the cooldowns available to myself and my opponent, for instance i have found good success with rogues as long as i have my trinket with sitting the opener and waiting for the DFA then immediatley trinketing and spec guising since the animation creates a decent window if you are quick and expecting it. The evenom/eviscerate then hits your reflection giving you enough time to shield up(reflective shield is sick for this btw) fear>vamp touch>MB if at this point the rogue trinkets the fear (which a lot do) you basically have to soak the damage until you have 5 orbs if his cloak is down you've won or he will bug out, since Horror>MB>DP>MF/MS/Dispel>MB>DP>MF>SWDx2 will drop him all whilst healing your for around 100k from DP.

Ferals are not that bad without incarn, you just have to keep dispelling rejuv and PS to prevent the heals, keep shielding yourself, fear on cd, keep up dots and build 5 orbs, if they have no trinket you can repeat the burst sequence above, if they have incarn/zerk however dont even bother lol.

Basically i have found far more success playing really really aggressive since we just dont have the tool kit to play defensively 1v1 in most cases, so utilising the healing component of DP is what i game around, so you have to expect and not panic when your sat at around 20% hp waiting to burst as with the above combo quite often i end up dropping my target whilst ending up back up at around 60% hp due to dp and stuff like VE.

That all being said, if your opponent is equally skilled your still fighting an uphill battle, but for me it makes those victory so much sweeter, since you know that most melee are sat behind their keyboards going " lol sp free hk's" then suddenly "er what just happened" ;D