Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Myth: Lemmings commit mass suicide.

It's not an important myth to debunk, I just don't like that metaphor.

Not sure which is which,
    Jesus wasn't born during winter.
    The human "soul" is not eternal.

Running through the rain does not yield you getting less wet.

The USA had lots of gun laws and restrictions.

Gender reassignment does not make you go from male to female.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Not sure which is which,
    Jesus wasn't born during winter.
    The human "soul" is not eternal.

The USA had lots of gun laws and restrictions.

But the U.S. does have a lot of guns...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    If anyone has some myths and misconceptions to clear up about anything even remotely interesting, I'm keen on reading on it.

I'll start with one: "Fans cool a room."

It should be rather obvious that a fan does not cool a room. It may have a chilling effect on a person, but room temperature does not change. However, it can help distribute air around in case there is a window open, for instance, and that way help with the cooling process. Moreover, because of the motor inside, it can actually generate heat, although it would probably not be felt.
    In most cases the energy loss in the fan will actually further heat the room..

The fucking thing with worms and them being split in half means the other half keeps on living ... bogus.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends entirely on how you define "male" and "female". It is decidedly more complicated than you would think.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Wrong.. The amount of rain that hits you on top is proportional to the time you spend in it, the rain that hits you from the front is proportional to the distance you travel. Since you likely can't change the second, you want to minimize the first.

Deleted
    The whole shit in movies in which the ECG shows activity and as soon as the patient (the character) dies it is a flat line.

It really doesnt work that way. At all.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    The whole shit in movies in which the ECG shows activity and as soon as the patient (the character) dies it is a flat line.
    Also CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation - aka mouth-to-mouth resuscitation). The odds of a patient being resuscitated in this way are very, very low. We're talking lower than 5%.

What CPR can do is keep a patient alive until a defibrilator arrives to restart the heart, which has maybe around a 50% chance of success. In movies people do CPR and after 30 seconds the patient wakes up and is good to go. In reality you do CPR for 15-30 minutes and if you're lucky, once the ambulance arrives with the defibrilator, the heart starts beating and they can get the still unconscious patient to hospital where several more weeks of recovery will be needed for the patient to be back on their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Also CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation - aka mouth-to-mouth resuscitation). The odds of a patient being resuscitated in this way are very, very low. We're talking lower than 5%.

What CPR can do is keep a patient alive until a defibrilator arrives to restart the heart, which has maybe around a 50% chance of success. In movies people do CPR and after 30 seconds the patient wakes up and is good to go. In reality you do CPR for 15-30 minutes and if you're lucky, once the ambulance arrives with the defibrilator, the heart starts beating and they can get the still unconscious patient to hospital where several more weeks of recovery will be needed for the patient to be back on their feet.
    Equally, knife and gun shot wounds are radically different in real life, especially knife wounds. In movies people get slashes and they walk sound lightly clinching the wound for an hour or worse some how continue to have a fist fight for 10 minutes. In real life you go into shock involuntarily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post

Not 100% sure about those stats but yes, CPR is just a means to an end until the patient can be properly taken care of. And I have had CPRs that took us over an hour. And yes, I had to change my uniform after that. It was not fun.