Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    No one mentioned Star Trek Online...

lotro.com and ddo.com

Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons Online. DDO is supposed to have really in depth mechanics, the kind you used to see on pencil and paper D&D games. Its a bit lacking on eye and ear candy though. LOTRO is ok, but not great...its also like Star Trek Online where you can buy store currency with real money OR spend time in game farming it up. One thing that i dislike about lotro though is you have two level 1-5 zones, three level 5-15 zones, one level 15-22 zone, one level 22-31 zone all available to you for free. But anything else you will have to buy with turbine points the currency you can buy with real money or farm for in game.

I only mention those two because they havent been mentioned yet. I would recommend SWTOR or STOR over them. SWTOR is ok if you spend a bit of money just to unlock a few things. STO you can play completely for free if you just spend a lot of time farming for currency. I've played Rift and Age of Wushu but not long enough to say if they are good/bad games.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeAndVengeance View Post
    I have to agree (although I LOVE being a SW:ToR subscriber) that it is a F2P option if you're patient... but it is far too restrictive on F2P for serious commitment.

-Justice
    Yeah I agree SWTORs f2p restrictions seem excessive. I support giving subscribers boosted exp, but why do they punish non-subscribers with diminished exp past level 20? Why restrict things as simple as being able to hide your helm?

You can't raid or anything without subscribing anyway, so little things like this are kind of a slap in the face at times.

I've been playing eq 2 recently, and on the side some eq 1 for the sake of it.

eq 2, lots of depth mostly free, both eqs probably have one of the worst f2p models which is, paywall paywall paywall, but you can ignore it for a decent amount of leveling. I have to admit i kinda like eq 1 a little more over eq 2 when it comes down to the overall complexity, the both games feel more like muds or actual role playing games as opposed to theme park linear rides which is what i've gotten bored of. one thing eq 2 had going for it, a lot of the early game can be duo'd quite easily, me and the bro have been clearing dungeons with just the pair of us, not all mmos are that lenient in the grouping at least while leveling its usually all or nothing.

rift has a pretty good f2p system, quite possibly the best.

eq 1 is too clunky for me to entice the bro to play so i'm just levelling a character up for the exploration/curiosity factor. a;so stops me from powering ahead when hes asleep lol.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-07-09 at 02:33 AM.

Vindictus has some really fun combat. I still hop on every now and then to beat shit up.

I got most experience with TERA and Rift so I'll drop my two cents on them:

Pros

Rift
    Closest you will come to WoW and still be good. The talent system is just amazing. Pretty much anything is viable. Wanna be a mage that heals the more you nuke? Np, ppl will gladly take you. Wanna tank like the old druids with dodge? Try Rogue tank (<3)!
    In Rift you still have the holy trinity (Healer, Tank, DPS) but with the added bonus of supports, i.e. DPS/Healers classes that primary buff/off-heal.

TERA
    The most engaging combat I've ever played. Even grinding can be a fun challenge to see how much you can actually take and handle to your abilities (rather than having a cap because mobs just hit you anyway 30 yards away somehow (WoW) ). TERA's combat is action-oriented meaning skills hit where you aim or swing and you have freedom to cast them whenever (for the most part, there're 2-3 exceptions per class that are targeted). Also, you have the ability to actually dodge or just outrun even basic attacks from mobs. Can be abit hard to learn or transition to but absolutely enjoyable.

Cons

Rift
    Still has some tedious repgrinds like the old days of WoW and having the same combat system it can be abit of a bore.

TERA
    Known for it's grindy nature. To get gear you run normal dungeons, then you run heroics, then progress through the raids others mostly have already done. There is a catch-up mechanic for new lvl 65 players with gear but few groups actually accepts that gear since it can't be upgraded making the old one better in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: Don't go for Neverwinter. The company got soooo greedy as of a few years back. Avoid like the plague, or Elves. I'd recommend 10 ft.

Deleted
    Yeah swtor as subscriber is great, if the 12x bonus for the stories is still on I'd invest they are so damn good.

But alas, you need free. For something different t try tera the combat is fun and the combo systems make it fun even on a controller. Rift is more like wow and your talent trees can be mixed and matched to make fun gameplay. Like shorter ranged archer with flame lthrower type abilities or create dot speccs.

Don't know if dungeons and dragons is still about but, that was fun when I played it with the story dungeons or group dungeons felt more open and combat is a little. Although I might be getting mixed up with some other mmo there lol.

I'll toss in Firefall to the list. Great if you're looking for a fast pace action MMO with a decent amount of depth.

As many others have mentioned, Rift seems the most polished out of the f2p tab-target MMOs. Probably the best WoW alternative IMO.

Other than WoW, the only one I play is Lineage 1. It's very Diablo-ish, except it's a true MMO. The graphics might be ancient, but the gameplay is still some of my favorite ever. There's a new server launching on July 31. I'm looking forward to starting on a fresh server:

http://www.KingdomsofDeception.com

As others have said, Swtor , Tera and Rift are up there. Though Skyforge is coming out soon, which i found to be awesome for a free to play model with it's graphics and action combat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NvrCryWolf View Post
    Looking for some good MMORPG's that are out there. Unfortunately i'm a little low on cash so i'm looking for free MMO's to play for the time being. Any suggestions?
    Tera is really good