Deleted

HC Archimonde or Mythic Hellfire Assault?

What are your thoughts on which is easiest do down, and why do you think that?

Heroic archimonde was far harder to down in the first week for my guild than the first 3 mythic bosses. Obviously we had more gear with the mythic bosses, but it was never really a gear issue for us anyhow, just an execution issue. Sub 25% archimonde is pretty dang difficult compared to any of the phases in mythic that I've seen so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure it'll vary between guilds, but mine definitely found Assault easier. It took us multiple nights to get Archimonde HC down, and only one for Mythic Hellfire Assault - we also only used one for Mythic Iron Reaver, oddly enough. They're pretty easy fights once you've got the basics down.

The key to Assault is to have DPS with strong burst damage who are capable of switching targets fast, whilst knowing the optimal kill order. Or, y'know, have a raid leader who knows that kill order call it out - as long as the DPS react quickly and can do a fair amount of damage really quick, it's fine. Assault can be quite chaotic at first when you haven't worked out the best times to use your CDs and Hero/Lust, but what my guild did was take it bit by bit. We memorised which adds spawned when, DPS learned where their minor and major CDs were required, and saved them for those moments, and the healers worked out where the worst of the damage would come in so we could prepare our own CDs for that. Once you get the mini-bosses down, it's pretty much a guaranteed kill unless you manage to leave a Terror up for too long.

Archimonde was... a bit of an issue at first, because our raid team was relatively undergeared for the content - we waited until the next reset and heroic clear, and once some of our core team had more gear and could pull out more DPS, things like the nether phase and such just went so fast. A big problem with Archimonde is not just memorising the tactics, but also things like the optimal pattern of movement for Phase 1; on a lot of tries, our movement was pretty much the same, but then sometimes you'd get really weird pillar positions and that'd mess things up and you'd have people going for a little while without an orb buff up, so there was higher raid damage when that happened. There were also issues with stacking/spreading, that caused a fair amount of wipes to Shadowfel Burst, as well as problems in later phases with people breaking chains too fast, too slow, or at the wrong moments. There were minimal fails to the nether, but we did have a few wipes to that. For the last phase, chains breaking at bad times was also a cause of wipes - people not managing to get into the nether and the boss healing, etc. etc.

Archimonde is more complicated tactics-wise; it requires good DPS and good healing, but the focus is really just on executing the tactics perfectly. Mythic Assault, on the other hand... doesn't really have many tactics - it's just, essentially, hard-hitting trash pack with specific kill orders, and you sometimes also have to pick up a box and run to a place with it. That's about it. It's all about your DPS there, and not standing in bad stuff.

So, yeah.

Archimonde is all about perfecting the execution of tactics, Assault is all about perfecting the execution of enemies. :-)

15ish wipes on archimonde and we one shot hellfire assult so I would go for assult. Both are a gear check I guess and I think archimonde is the higher gear check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hellfire Assault, progressing on Mythic will give you much more gear and power for your guild faster, than wiping on Archimonde all day long. Yes, trinkets are good there, but getting a ton of mythic gear and progress is more important.

In time it will take you to confidently down Archimonde, you can already have a couple of mythic encounters on farm.

Also, don't underestimate WoWProgress - ranking there results in having more and better guild applicants, so that too is a nice source of added power.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Hellfire Assault, progressing on Mythic will give you much more gear and power for your guild faster, than wiping on Archimonde all day long. Yes, trinkets are good there, but getting a ton of mythic gear and progress is more important.

In time it will take you to confidently down Archimonde, you can already have a couple of mythic encounters on farm.

Also, don't underestimate WoWProgress - ranking there results in having more and better guild applicants, so that too is a nice source of added power.
    First wing drops the same item level as Archimonde. But Archimonde's trinkets are literally gamebreaking.
    To put it in perspective, this is one of our boomkin's on Iron Reaver with the heroic archi trinket's spell cast breakdown:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...casts&source=4

Zero starfalls.
    This is his damage breakdown:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=4

Starfall at 20.5%.

Yea. That's how wicked these trinkets can be.

If your applicants can't see through that they are not worth your time anyway. A good applicant knows what's harder and if you have a few 'easy' mythic bosses on farm but can't kill the last boss on heroic they know what's up.
    'Fooling' them doesn't help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    If your applicants can't see through that they are not worth your time anyway. A good applicant knows what's harder and if you have a few 'easy' mythic bosses on farm but can't kill the last boss on heroic they know what's up.
    Indeed. While I can't say I like the whole "gear progression"-thing they've done with everything increasing in ilvl every few bosses, I *do* like how they managed to first off tune Archimonde so brutally that he's a challenge comparable to mythics, and secondly that he's relevant to mythic guilds for the foreseeable future.

Trinkets for a lot of classes are THE single biggest DPS gain in HFC. Skipping it to go mythic HFA is really not a good idea.
    Not to mention the weapons he drops and other loot that is generally BiS for many class/specs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    Easier to go down. Probably Hellfire Assault. What should you be spending time on? Heroic Archimonde.

Archimonde increases raid power with it's loot. Hellfire Assault (Mythic) just increases your wowprogress ranking.
    +1, loot from archimonde much more useful than first 2 mythic bosses. And archimonde requires wipes to perform properly last phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trinkets are sure nice, but having half a raid decked in 720 gear is much nicer, which is my point. By the time you kill Archimonde once, you probably score 3-4 Mythic kills already and actually progress, instead of being stuck on that one cockblock encounter.

Then you will take that Mythic loot and two-shot Archimonde, as simple as that.

If you say so... in my experience people who jump ship (or getting a boot) rarely do THAT kind of extensive research.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Archimonde is probably a better use of time honestly. The first two bosses on mythic don't really drop great trinkets, and the weapon selection is agility daggers, ranged weapon and a strength one hander. Archimonde drops a staff, two handed weapon and a one handed spell mace. The trinkets are hit or miss, but are pretty game breaking depending on the class you put them on.

We haven't killed either, but only spent less than a couple hours on Mythic Hellfire Assault and nearly got a kill. Archimonde on the other hand has been a few days of progression with a few sub 5% wipes.

I don't think there really is a point to delaying Archimonde, as you're going to be farming him on heroic for awhile anyway.

Hellfire assault is way easier; actually I would say the first 3 bosses are probably easier than Archimonde.

Archimonde has way better loot though that will give your raid some big boosts. So it's more about do you care about rankings or actual progression? I would say missing out on Archimonde probably hurts you later on in mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know about Komrok, but Mythic Assault and Fel Reaver are definitely easier than H Archimonde. Archimonde drops better gear though. Has your guild killed N Archimonde? How cleanly did you do it? That will give you an idea of how well you execute the mechanics, which are of course much harder on Heroic. How much time do you have for progression?