Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Very general question.

For a PC sitting on a desk with the user no more than a few feet away, wired IMO. No need to hassle with recharging batteries and enjoy the quickest response possible.

For an HTPC or living room console, wireless. Enjoy the freedom of being unrestricted by cable length. Unless you enjoy tripping over your family members the choice here is obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning- View Post
    200$ in batteries? I bought a pack of 10 batteries for 2$ a year ago, still haven't finished all. You should probably buy a wired TV remote too.
    where did i say 200$ in batteries?

- - - Updated - - -

You all complain about that like if it happens every day. It's once every three months ...
    wrong. it depends on length of use. a casual user will get more use out of the batteries than a heavy gamer since they have a limited life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Rechargeable batteries.

DS3/DS4 doesn't /shrug.
    rechargeable batteries eventually die too. your still ending up paying 20-40$ for a pack of rechargeable batteries at least thats what they cost here. bottom line is wired is cheaper than wireless in the long run your paying more for the fact that there isn't a cord.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Wired. I have no issues with cables and only really needed thing is a comfy chair to recline on while playing.

I have no issues with batteries, but still i find relying on them annyoning; i'd just plug a cable and have no issues at all.

Also cheaper.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I use wirless xbox controllers, there is nog lagg and it's looks and feels much cleaner.

You all complain about that like if it happens every day. It's once every three months ...
    It's annoying when it does happen, and wired controllers reduce the frequency of it to zero. So yeah, when cord length isn't an issue for me, that's a plus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    It's annoying when it does happen, and wired controllers reduce the frequency of it to zero. So yeah, when cord length isn't an issue for me, that's a plus.
    It's really not that annoying. For consoles they give you ample warning when it's about to die. I simply pause the game, put in the charger cable, and keep playing. The wireless mouse I use works exactly the same way. It'll beep when it's getting low, so I'll just put in the cable and keep going. The warning they give you too is usually a good 30 minutes to an hour of playing so if I'm not in a good spot to stop I'll keep going until I can.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The receiver on the wireless Xbox360 PC Controller is amazing and I don't recommend any other controller. I usually swear by hardware focused companies, like Logitech, but I just can't recommend anything better in the controller sphere. It also has extremely long battery life in my personal experience.

The only reason I have a PC controller is to play games on the couch. Sometimes I use it at my desk, but it seems a little pointless. If I'm playing a controller supported game then I may as well have it on the largest screen possible. Fwiw, steam also has a nice, cheap app called Controller Companion that eliminates the need to have a wireless mouse and keyboard to operate your computer normally.
    BAD WOLF

I prefer wireless 110% more than wired. The wires just constantly get in the way and annoy me. Plus I am super klutzy so it's less stuff for me to trip over. I know some people have horror stories about wireless things dying on them at key moments, but I haven't personally had this issue. Plus they all seem to have indicators to let you know before they completely run out of juice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    The receiver on the wireless Xbox360 PC Controller is amazing and I don't recommend any other controller. I usually swear by hardware focused companies, like Logitech, but I just can't recommend anything better in the controller sphere. It also has extremely long battery life in my personal experience.
    For PC I personally prefer the Logitech Gamepad F710, but it is mostly due to the sizing being about what the PS controllers are which is by far more comfortable on my hands. I do use it while sitting at my desk, but most of the reason I use a controller with my PC in the first place is often the keyboard controls for PC games are set-up in such a way it aggravates pain in my hands and wrists. Using the controller relieves a lot of this issue for me.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    For PC I personally prefer the Logitech Gamepad F710, but it is mostly due to the sizing being about what the PS controllers are which is by far more comfortable on my hands. I do use it while sitting at my desk, but most of the reason I use a controller with my PC in the first place is often the keyboard controls for PC games are set-up in such a way it aggravates pain in my hands and wrists. Using the controller relieves a lot of this issue for me.
    All of that is understandable. I used to prefer the PS layout and size as I have always had that console, but my hands are larger and I don't have too much pain unless CT flares up from work. The 360 controller also has a small, though real benefit of supporting more games natively. Some devs are lazy and people have issues with non microsoft controllers.

In any case, I think either of those two controllers are the best in the product line and it would be personal preference as long as it functioned in your play space. I have the 360 receiver on top of my tower, tucked inside of a desk partition and my controller has no connection issues regardless of where I am throughout my living room or kitchen.

Even if you are chained to a desk, wired controllers limit you just like a m+kb....want to lean back in your chair? Nope. Want some distance to reduce eye strain? Nope. Wireless allows you freedom, wired chains you down.
    BAD WOLF

If on PC I prefer wired but wireless should be fine for any game that supports a controller. PS4 controllers don't need batteries and still work great with over a year of heavy use. My PS3 controllers also all hold charges well and they are 4+ years old but they are not anywhere near as nice as the new controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    rechargeable batteries eventually die too. your still ending up paying 20-40$ for a pack of rechargeable batteries at least thats what they cost here. bottom line is wired is cheaper than wireless in the long run your paying more for the fact that there isn't a cord.
    Except in the case of the PS4/PS3/Wii U, you can just basically revert back to using a wired controller in that case if the internal battery somehow dies. Wired controllers though, that core breaks, it's done for. Wireless you can just go buy another wire.

10+ Year Old Account
    where did i say 200$ in batteries?
    Right here.
    so you end up paying 100-200$ more for a wireless when you add the cost of batteries in.
    Batteries take a LONG time to properly die. The biggest factor to modern Lithium batteries is heat, this is why smartphones' heat management needs to be properly done. Unless your room is an oven then the normal degradation is going to be of non concern.
    And the fun part about a properly made controller though is, the battery is even less of a concern. A DS3/DS4/Wii U controller has both wireless and wired functionality.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Prefer wired for a few reasons.

- More responsive
    - No recharging / replacing batteries (so no sudden stop in responsiveness mid-game)
    - Cheaper than comparable wireless versions / features

10+ Year Old Account
    How much do you game? I go through about 2 double a's every week or two on my xbox one controller. You must barely even game to have batteries last 3 months jeez!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer54 View Post
    How much do you game? I go through about 2 double a's every week or two on my xbox one controller. You must barely even game to have batteries last 3 months jeez!
    So Xbox One still uses AA batteries? Oh boy.

So.. i don't like changing the batteries out regardless of how often it is. 3 months? Lol ok... more like few weeks but still
    I have no issues with the wire. I've had issues with wireless in the past, so it's left a bad taste in my mouth.
    If they fix the issues with wireless I still wouldn't use it. Who likes causing a wipe because your healers mouse is dead? It's happened many times. one for me and others in the raid and that shit gets old..
    Last edited by flyspyro; 2015-07-08 at 07:35 PM.

I have four PS4 controllers that get use between the PS4 and the PC, all used wirelessly.

With two charging cradles each able to hold two controllers all of them can charge together and are always returned to the cradles after every session.

So this way you always start a session with a fully charged controller and always have 3 backups ready to go if you get that low battery warning.
    And if you're doing co-op? Well then you both have a fully charged controller ready to go with 1 backup ready for each of you.

Wired. Even on the best comps, wireless has the potential to lag out. I recommend a Logitech F310.
    Final Fantasy XIV info= Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table
    WoW info= Gareth- Uldum Horde

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer54 View Post
    How much do you game? o.O I average between 30 hours and 40 hours a week and I haven't gone through batteries like that at all.