Thread: LG or Sony TV?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

LG or Sony TV?

Hey guys,

I was looking for a simple bedroom TV and was about to get the Sony Bravia KDL-50W805B for €718, which gets excellent reviews accross the board. Then I came accross the LG 55UB820V which has a 4K ips panel and only costs €879!

The problem is I can barely find trustworthy reviews about this TV. What do you guys think?

I've always been a fan of Vizio TVs , http://www.vizio.com/tvs/m50c1.html Give that one a look over. =)

well i feel like both of these choices will be good. my parents own a sony flat screen and i own an lg flat screen, both are around 10 years old. while not the best visuals still, there is nothing about them that makes us want to replace them and they still work flawlessly.

thats all i can add besides my next tv will probably be an LG or samsung i think.

I don't get why there's so little information available though. Is this TV that old? Or very new? I'm baffled!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I don't get why there's so little information available though. Is this TV that old? Or very new? I'm baffled!
    Most LED TVs are very generic and not worthy being reviewed one by one since the results are pretty much the same across all the line.
    Sure, some models are slightly special and will have more information about them in reviewing sites forums.

Sony one
    Not exactly the same LG model but should be close.

I'm not exactly familiar with any of them so I'll restrain myself from pointing one. But generally speaking I'd say Sony's LCD higher end models are better than LG's, but that's not the case here since the 805B seems to be a mid range model.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-07-07 at 09:03 PM.

I think the 850v is older though. I'm not sure

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to be an EU only model, I don't know anything about it =(

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/

Very good resource for TVs. I would recommend the Vizo quite a lot. Very good value in terms of picture quality per dollar

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't tell you on the specific choices, but my experiences with LG have been like... amazing. From monitors, to phones, TVs etc... They make really top notch quality products at a great value.

My Sony experience is limited only the the PlayStation. So I got nothing.

What about the Sony KDL50W809C. Android TV and only 850 euro.

Cant find anything on hdtvtest though >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    About Sony, the W905 is a freaking awesome local dimming LCD TV. The W900B and W850B are also solid models.
    Not exactly sure if it's much more expensive or not though.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-07-08 at 02:33 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone that used to work in the Returns and Warranties department of an Electronics retailer.

Sony had far less faults/repairs than LG.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Hey guys,

I was looking for a simple bedroom TV and was about to get the Sony Bravia KDL-50W805B for €718, which gets excellent reviews accross the board. Then I came accross the LG 55UB820V which has a 4K ips panel and only costs €879!

The problem is I can barely find trustworthy reviews about this TV. What do you guys think?
    I think TVs are redundant.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Sony costs more and has better quality components, probably better audio too. No idea about those specific models but LG probably has better support for playing back files from USB/network.

4k isn't really a selling point because 4k broadcasts arent that common today or any day soon. Available yes, common no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    As someone that used to work in the Returns and Warranties department of an Electronics retailer.

Sony had far less faults/repairs than LG.
    Yes, generally speaking Sony is better than LG for LCD TVs. But even LG's flagship models which are all OLED now tend to have problems with burn-ins, stuck pixels and discoloration.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    They aren't, the difference between an entry level model and a flagship is ground-breaking to say the least...
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-07-08 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    About Sony, the W905 is a freaking awesome local dimming LCD TV. The W900B and W850B are also solid models.
    Not exactly sure if it's much more expensive or not though.
    Thanks Arto, the Sony KDL50W809C is merely a week old, so there aren't any real reviews about it. But statistically, it's better than the 805b on every front (1000hz, wifi, smartphone app, (android), etc.). We'll have to see how good Android OS works, because from what I've gathered it's pretty buggy on other models. Nevertheless, the TV should be great and OS bugs can be rectified with updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Thanks for that bit of information

Ya if you want top of the line TV you do not want Sony.
    Sony has gone downhill since flatscreens became daily drivers.
    Vizio is the samsung of the TV market.
    Ironically, even the Samsung TVs are better than Sony now.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Ya if you want top of the line TV you do not want Sony.
    Sony has gone downhill since flatscreens became daily drivers.
    Vizio is the samsung of the TV market.
    Ironically, even the Samsung TVs are better than Sony now.
    You realize that Samsung has the best LED TV model so far and best Plasma one too, right?

And they haven't even gotten serious about OLED TVs yet, seeing that they have the best OLED phone panels in the market by far.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-07-08 at 03:20 PM.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    according to the person responsible for one of the biggest electronics chains in my country. Sony has by far the worst quality of the big name brands. they have 3x to 4x times more complaints. if i want quality buy Panasonic if u like a mix between quality and price buy Samsung.

Neither. Samsung has a much better quality v price. All my flat screens are Samsung - some many years old and couldn't be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.