Deleted

Is there any consistent story in leveling?

Hello mates,

i recently started GW2 and am currently 38 in Harathi Hinterlands.

Thus far, i haven't found any consistent storyline in the zones i have been. I do all the heart quests and much of the dynamic events, but it all feels disconnected and somewhat directionless. Except for the personal story acts, but they have been too few and far between.

Am i missing something? I come from WoW, where every zone has some sort of local storyline, most quests are lined up in a bigger story with culmination. Many of them have some very good writing and lore attach to it. I find that to be very good way to build the leveling experience for it provides the player a motivation to push forward.

In GW2 so far... i just do some random stuff helping farmers and local militia, killing the bad guys because they are bad and such.

I get that there is a general situation with teh centaurs and the war against the humans. Third zone already with the same theme starts to feel a little awkward though. But my efforts doesn't seem to drive all this anywhere.

Can i expect that this will change and there will be more involving events going forward, or the entire game is build in this fashion?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is indeed. But it's not linear like WoW's questing system where you read a bunch of quest text, the stories unfold through the events and chatter of the NPCs, leading and branching through event chains with most zones culminating with a world boss event.

Think of hearts like bread crumb quests, they are just there to point you to an area where events unfold. Talk to the scouts (telescope icon), they give a bit of story of what's going on in the area. Listen to the chatter of NPCs and follow event chains! There's something like 3000 events in the game, with various stages of fail or success, leading across the zone in some really amazing epic battles

For instance in the zone you're currently in, Harathi Hinterlands, is all about this battle between the Seraph Lieutenants and the Great Modnir Overlord.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Harathi_Hinterlands

Of course this all ties into the current Living Story with the Ventari, the more you progress (keep your eyes and ears open!) the more you'll see how it all comes together.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2015-07-07 at 09:19 PM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a story, hearts aren't quest though. Many zones do have an overarching story and hearts tend to be connected by proximity. The "story" story is told through the personal story and the two "living story seasons (a continuation of the personal story). The first season of the living story is unavailable for playthrough but you can catch up via the gw2 wiki or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    There is a story, hearts aren't quest though. Many zones do have an overarching story and hearts tend to be connected by proximity. The "story" story is told through the personal story and the two "living story seasons (a continuation of the personal story). The first season of the living story is unavailable for playthrough but you can catch up via the gw2 wiki or YouTube.
    He meant dynamic events in zones. If zones themselves have a story.

Each dynamic event is like a quest, a mini story of the events happening around the area on a common basis. It isn't something in depth. Most DE chain into others though.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I would say that each racial area does have a overarching story that often are linked to the dynamic events in that zone. In the human areas it is the Centaur war that culminates in you fighting the same centaur shaman that you fought in the level one tutorial instance.

If by consistent, you mean linear than no. Most of the story telling is local. The overarching narratives of The Living Story and main story (forgot name) are not consistent with leveling progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    Hello mates,

i recently started GW2 and am currently 38 in Harathi Hinterlands.

Thus far, i haven't found any consistent storyline in the zones i have been. I do all the heart quests and much of the dynamic events, but it all feels disconnected and somewhat directionless. Except for the personal story acts, but they have been too few and far between.

Am i missing something? I come from WoW, where every zone has some sort of local storyline, most quests are lined up in a bigger story with culmination. Many of them have some very good writing and lore attach to it. I find that to be very good way to build the leveling experience for it provides the player a motivation to push forward.

In GW2 so far... i just do some random stuff helping farmers and local militia, killing the bad guys because they are bad and such.

I get that there is a general situation with teh centaurs and the war against the humans. Third zone already with the same theme starts to feel a little awkward though. But my efforts doesn't seem to drive all this anywhere.

Can i expect that this will change and there will be more involving events going forward, or the entire game is build in this fashion?
    In my experience with GW2, which was awhile ago, there was basically no real story for me to follow. I remember choosing one of 3 "schools" or something like that. Chose the assassins one cause I was a rogue, it was kinda meh but I never finished the game so maybe it gets better at the end, I don't know. Either way, I'm a story guy, so swtor was for me.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    If you want to experience the overarcing story of a zone, I would keep an eye out for the meta event chains.
    These are the somewhat longer event chains that actually tell what is happening in a certain zone/ are of a certain zone.
    Most meta event chains culminate in a world boss, although some of them just have a story of their own without a large final boss.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Meta_event

I think the only story which fits what you describe is the personal storyline. The Story in the zones is there but as it has previously been pointed out it isn't linear and is more set-up for players to find if they go looking for it (often by talking to NPCs). There's some storyline with events which chain into other events, but that's more of an exception than anything else.

The zones themselves don't really have a strict linear storyline like you're used in most other MMOs. There is more of a "general storyline" that encompasses what happens in most zones.
    For example the humans in Kryta are at war with the centaurs, because they founded a lot of their settlements on centaur grounds (I think, though correct me if I'm wrong). So a lot of the interaction in mainly Kessex and Arathi are about holding back the centaur. Because if they push through, not only would human settlements be lost, but also the trade route between Lion's Arch and Divinity's Reach would be in danger.
    Other factions (like bandits) try to take advantage of the war with the centaurs by attacking settlements and stuff, because they know that the humans are short on resources to fight it. On top of all that you also have the undead trying to get a foothold.

There is actually a lot of story going on in this game, but it can be hard to really read into it.
    Normally in most MMOs you get this told through quests, cutscenes or interactions. In GW2 a lot of it is told by simply observing the world, and listening to gossip. Its more realistic in a sense, because Private Jackson over there simply wants you to help him set some traps and kill some centaurs. He's not a field marshal that knows what the hell is happening throughout the zone. He's just stationed there and is having a hard time.
    In the end you're just a strong person, with special power, wondering around the world trying to help those that need it.

There is in the general world not really a direct story you follow. Most of that happens throughout the personal storyline. The personal story line itself isn't bad, but it's not top quality RPG storyline telling. SWTOR has that down better; but in the other extreme, where you feel less freedom and feel slightly more stuck on a roller coaster ride.