Deleted

Necromancer: Death | Plague | Blood - [quick concept]

Would you like to see a Necromancer class kinda like this?

armor: cloth (or mail?)

Specs:
    Death -> range DPS: direct powerful shadow spells, curses and temporary spectral summons.
    Plague -> melee DPS: physical dots (bleeds, infections, curses), uses two daggers or scythe (new weapon anyone?)
    Blood -> HEALER: blood shield, can transfuse self heal, buffs through insane vials. Mana pool is a secondary health pool

Short intro:
    Like DKs, they will have its own starting area, with the boss Kel'Thuzad. You will be a tortured citizen that had to join KT service. Your quests will be brutal and merciless (like DK ones). At the end, you will have to flee and you will join Horde/Alliance without revealing that you're a necromancer. Your NPC faction will think you're just an homeless guy escaped from the scourge.

Concept art:

Death:

Plague:

Blood:

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem is the whole necromantic angle is covered by Death Knights and a lot of what was in the Necromancer class in WC3 has been dismantled and shoved into the Warlock, who cover the 'evil' lord of dark powers with pets trope in this game.

I really don't think there is enough of a distinct base left for Necromancers. Lore taken by DKs...mechanics by Warlocks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Problem is the whole necromantic angle is covered by Death Knights and a lot of what was in the Necromancer class in WC3 has been dismantled and shoved into the Warlock, who cover the 'evil' lord of dark powers with pets trope in this game.

I really don't think there is enough of a distinct base left for Necromancers. Lore taken by DKs...mechanics by Warlocks.
    True ...I wish DKs will have somehow a switchable stance that basically turn them into spellcasters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    True ...I wish DKs will have somehow a switchable stance that basically turn them into spellcasters
    And why you don't just play Affliction? Except for undead minions, it has pretty much all of the generic necromancer tools and concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    And why you don't just play Affliction? Except for undead minions, it has pretty much all of the generic necromancer tools and concept.
    But what's the number one thing that necromancers have?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I would LOVE to be able to play a necromancer. I don't think it would ever happen. But, yeah ... that was my class in EQ and I have been attached to it since. Don't think it will ever happen though, for the reasons listed and because I'm not sure if it could fit into any expansion (until MAYBE if they revisit the scourge).

I personally don't think there needs to be a "differentiating" quality other than flavor, though. As long as there is enough difference, flavor-wise, then I think it can work. Not all classes need to fill a singular niche/archetype and then nothing else can live in that space. Elemental shaman are like boomkin are like mages which are like hunters which are like warlocks ... they all mostly do direct damage from range. They each have slight differences but a necromancer, if done cleverly, can have room to live. I think a cool resource other than mana is one way ... like what if they only had a health pool? And that was their mana. Managing doing damage and self-healing could be neat! I am just riffing.

Your NPC faction will think you're just an homeless guy escaped from the scourge.
    I for one welcome our death-hobo overlords.

Deleted
    Mounted spellcasters* Gibe.