Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So if you owned a business, hell we'll even make it more specific: if you were making a movie with the kind of budget Star Wars was getting, you would cater to the small sect of people so that your movie bombs?

And you really didn't answer my point. You just blamed Disney again, for some crazy reason. Was it too good of a point that you decided to just sidestep it? Because that's what it looks like to me.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    And thats where i lose faith in disney, Catering to the uninformed rather than the fan. But hey $$$$$$$$

yet no ones tried to counter this point so it still stands.

I have personally read the Lost tribe of the Sith, All 6 "movie" books, The Bounty Hunter Wars, The X-wing Series, Courtship of Princess Leia, Thrawn Trilogy, The Jedi Academy Trilogy, I, Jedi(Corran Horn is my favorite character btw. Even with how they had to recton him in at the temple.), The New Jedi Order Series, Dark Nest Trilogy and The Legacy of the Force series.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I have personally read the Lost tribe of the Sith, All 6 "movie" books, The Bounty Hunter Wars, The X-wing Series, Courtship of Princess Leia, Thrawn Trilogy, The Jedi Academy Trilogy, I, Jedi(Corran Horn is my favorite character btw. Even with how they had to recton him in at the temple.), The New Jedi Order Series, Dark Nest Trilogy and The Legacy of the Force series.
    now how many of the other people here posting that the eu is shit can say that, im sure very few.

- - - Updated - - -

So if you owned a business, hell we'll even make it more specific: if you were making a movie with the kind of budget Star Wars was getting, you would cater to the small sect of people so that your movie bombs?
    You mean i would pay more attention to the details that hardcore fans would notice? How would changing the tie fighter to the interceptor or even the defender make the movie bomb? How would including the updated xwing or even ewing make the movie bomb? How would showing that the rebel alliance has evolved not once but twice from the rebels to the new republic to the galatic alliance [which included the imperials] make the movie bomb? Most of the stuff i see is stuff that hardcore fans will notice but its not somthing thats going to piss off casual fans. just because you pay attention to your most dedicated fans doesnt mean somthings going to bomb. Look at WoW they catered to the casuals and its in a nosedive.

yet no ones tried to counter this point so it still stands.
    What point? You've read a lot of Star Wars books? That makes you a truer fan? That's hilarious. You are hilarious. Enjoy your bitterness the rest of us enjoy this new era of Star Wars.

I've read everything from Tales of the Jedi to Betrayal. At which point I "Noped!" out because the old EU went from being to grimdark to being god awful.
    Look at WoW they catered to the casuals and its in a nosedive.
    Oh. My. God. This is your actual argument. Fuck it. Onto the ignore list you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A little preemptive don't you think? I can't recall Disney actually ruining anything that badly so far. And the books will remain intact after.
    You aren't up to date on things, huh? Disney did announce that the lore as everyone has known for what, almost 40 years, was replaced by the new cartoon series version of things. Yeah they haven't ruined anything.

Quote Originally Posted by helldozer919 View Post
    You aren't up to date on things, huh? Disney did announce that the lore as everyone has known for what, almost 40 years, was replaced by the new cartoon series version of things. Yeah they haven't ruined anything.
    You're absolutely right, they haven't ruined a single thing.

Glad we cleared that up.

Seriously people, something like half those books are written by Keven J (the J stands for Hack. Don't ask me how, but it does) Anderson. The EU wasn't that great, and it went off the rails some time ago.

Let it goooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post

Glad we cleared that up.

Seriously people, something like half those books are written by Keven J (the J stands for Hack. Don't ask me how, but it does) Anderson. The EU wasn't that great, and it went off the rails some time ago.

Let it goooo.
    over exageration ftw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_...universe_books

he wrote the jedi academy trilogy and darksaber. I guess if youv only read 8 books that would be half. The others were children books.

. Look at WoW they catered to the casuals and its in a nosedive.
    lol, wow catered to casuals and became tne most profitable game of all time out of a genre that was around a max of 500k players, right around the max most of those star wars eu books were able to sell to :P
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    lol, wow catered to casuals and became tne most profitable game of all time out of a genre that was around a max of 500k players, right around the max most of those star wars eu books were able to sell to :P
    wow catered to casuals after it peaked now its down to its sub base that it had before its first expansion and only going lower. L2 subscription timeline dude.

wow catered to casuals after it peaked now its down to its sub base that it had before its first expansion and only going lower. L2 subscription timeline dude.
    lrn2play everquest casual scum.

wow was always the most casual mmo on the market, thats how it got popular by being easy as fuck for babies.

if you dont know that its probably because your a casual fake mmo fan, come back after youve played some mmos from before wow and then come back and try to talk
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

lrn2play everquest casual scum.

wow was always the most casual mmo on the market, thats how it got popular by being easy as fuck for babies.

if you dont know that its probably because your a casual fake mmo fan, come back after youve played some mmos from before wow and then come back and try to talk
    Come and play Eve and we can see how hardcore you are.

yeh cus antman isnt a cash grab or somthing, totally relevant and much asked for superhero.
    Antman should have been an Avenger in time for Age of Ultron, as (the successor to) one of the founding members he's very much been asked for by Marvel fans.

A better example would have been Guardians of the Galaxy, although I'm not sure what definition of "cash-grab" applies to their riskiest film since Iron Man 1.

I don't get the hostility against Disney at all. They are notoriously fantastic at making movies...

what? lol lucas had no part in anything eu related, the only thing he ever said was "dont do anythingx years before episode 4 and after episode 6" because he didnt want anybody writing stories that took place during his movies even if they were non canon.
    someone needs to learn what fan fiction means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction

Fail to see how the new movies dont fall under that same umbrella, they seem even more fan fiction due to lucas having no part in them when he had a hand molding most of the EU's storylines.
    I'm going to repeat this here and I wish somehow this could be stickied for any discussions related to Star Wars canon on MMO-C. We've been having debates around canon for 30 years now in other more Star Wars centric forums. There has always been a lot of misunderstanding as to how canon works wrt the Star Wars universe.

There is a good explanation of all of this that is summarized here. Please absolutely read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

The really important part to understand is this:

"S-canon is Secondary canon: covering the same medium as C-canon, it is immediately superseded by anything in higher levels of canon in any place where two elements contradict each other. The non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes all C-canon material released prior to April 25, 2014, video games such as the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post

Glad we cleared that up.

Let it goooo.
    Amen. There are a few gems in the morass (with that much, it would be hard for their not to be), but the vast, vast majority of the EU ranges from mediocre stuff that lacks the Stars Wars je ne sais quoi (which to be fair, so did the prequel trilogy) to truly awful crap, much of it written by Kevin "Hack" Anderson who never saw a fictional universe he wasn't willing to pour flat mass-produced beer all over for a paycheck. (And to be fair to Mr. Anderson, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's contracted to deliver - the blame rests more with whoever decides to go with him as a writer, than with him for writing what he does.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)