Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Can't post about Nintendo or Japan on mmo-champ without massive backlash from users with anime avatars!

Nintendo is a complete mess of a company, exploiting their loyal fan base as much as they can. Releasing a new console this soon is another kick in the teeth.

They keep releasing bad hardware outside of the norm console release windows, and life cycles.

Please, Nintendo, do a Sega. Stop selling consoles and become a good games developer for all systems. Exclusivity is a bad thing anyway, only Fanboys will tell you otherwise.
    Lifecycle of Nintendo systems (all based on NA dates):

NES: 6 years
    GB (inlcuding the GBC): 12 years
    SNES: 5 years
    N64: 5 years
    GBA: 3 years
    GCN: 5 years
    DS: 7 years
    Wii: 6 years
    3DS: Possibly 5-6 years
    Wii U: Possibly 4-5 years

Also, the Wii and Wii U aren't bad consoles. The Wii's "everything must have motion controls" sucked except for a few games, and the Wii U suffered from Nintendo's bad decisions, such as lack of fist party support in the months after launch and lack of marketing.

And no, Nintendo does not need to leave the console market, especially when they said if they leave, their IPs are coming with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    And no, Nintendo does not need to leave the console market, especially when they said if they leave, their IPs are coming with them.
    Nintendo wouldn't say no to money

Lifecycle of Nintendo systems (all based on NA dates):

NES: 6 years
    GB (inlcuding the GBC): 12 years
    SNES: 5 years
    N64: 5 years
    GBA: 3 years
    GCN: 5 years
    DS: 7 years
    Wii: 6 years
    3DS: Possibly 5-6 years
    Wii U: Possibly 4-5 years

Also, the Wii and Wii U aren't bad consoles. The Wii's "everything must have motion controls" sucked except for a few games, and the Wii U suffered from Nintendo's bad decisions, such as lack of fist party support in the months after launch and lack of marketing.

Don't bother, facts are scary to Nintendo haters, they'd just rather irrationally claim things and then get all defensive when called out claiming everyone saying otherwise is just a fanboy.
    Maybe it's just because they realize how wrong they are on the inside and just don't want to admit it.

Can't post about Nintendo or Japan on mmo-champ without massive backlash from users with anime avatars!

Nintendo is a complete mess of a company, exploiting their loyal fan base as much as they can. Releasing a new console this soon is another kick in the teeth.

They keep releasing bad hardware outside of the norm console release windows, and life cycles.

Please, Nintendo, do a Sega. Stop selling consoles and become a good games developer for all systems. Exclusivity is a bad thing anyway, only Fanboys will tell you otherwise.
    Ya, Nintendo should totally pull a Sega.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07...-from-players/

So they should start releasing nothing but garbage outside of Japan where they release a few good games and then proceed to years later buy a more niche 3rd party who has a ton of good will and learn from them about trying to earn back consumer trust.

Ya, Nintendo should totally pull a Sega. Not.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm not even going to bother with the article

First off, we already have a megathread about the NX.

Second off, Nintendo has already flat out said that they're not just going to drop the Wii U, because they don't want to disappoint the fans.

Third off, Nintendo also said they didn't show much because they don't want to show games that aren't coming out for another year like other companies, they have Nintendo Directs to show things when they're coming up, not just E3.

And lastly, there is a Zelda game in development for the Wii U already.

Now, may I ask why you're giving such a hasty dismissal for the Wii U when most of your statements are wrong?
    Why not drop the Wii U? It has disappointed fans by being an abysmal failure and hasn't sold worth a shit. It's pretty damn obvious that once again, Nintendo got it wrong and didn't bother to actually try and get a better market share by creating a console for core gamer's. They just need to shut up and do what their competitors have done and then they will start getting support from third parties.

Also, like usual, they managed to fuck up their E3 by doing exactly what other developers did, and that is showing what is coming soon and long term projects. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo doesn't have much in the future, probably because their future in the home console business is completely in doubt.

They would also be stupid to at this point, even continue making a Legend of Zelda game for the Wii U, it is pretty fucking obvious to anyone with a brain that it needs to be a launch game for a system, since it was one of the driving forces behind the N64's success, and the release of Wind Waker two years after the Gamecube released drove console sales as well to some extent. Either way, we are 3 years in and the Wii U shows zero signs of picking up any steam because no one besides Nintendo is supporting it with games that have any kind of clout in the modern industry.

Nintendo's out of touch management has been their downfall, meanwhile Sony and Microsoft have continued to cater towards the types of gamer's with systems that at least have serious tech in them and core games regardless of platform.

Deleted
    I just bought a wii u from ebay second hand - by far the best console out there atm

Yea, Rennadrel. Nintendo would be "stupid" to finish a game mostly done on the Wii U and release it with probably a guaranteed 3 mil+ sales at full price. Stupid indeed.

Generally anytime I hear you say what Nintendo "should" do it actually sounds stupid and like you want Nintendo to go belly up, no offense. Like your whole they need their next console to be a mid range pc specs? ROFL.

Also it has been reconfirmed as a 2016 release on Wii U by Reggie and Iwata at/since e3.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

A lot of their problems can be pinned on their management, a bunch of old farts who spent too much time around their predecessor, Hiroshi Yamauchi, who in my mind was every bit as toxic for the company later in his career with the company then he was in the early days of Nintendo making video games. A quote from Wikipedia about the NES:

The Famicom was created and Yamauchi was so confident with this device that he promised an electronics company one million unit orders within two years. The Famicom easily reached that goal, and, after selling several million units, Yamauchi realized the importance of the software that ran on the game systems and made sure the system was easy to program.
    The last sentence is what I feel is the most important factor, and something Nintendo has been missing the last couple of console generations. New controller interfaces have made creating games more of an effort than traditional gamepads, and opting to continue with their IBM PowerPC CPU hardware really didn't help things when the next generation was going to go with x86 technology.

While I agree that they should be releasing systems in the same cycles as their competitors, I don't think it would matter at this point. They would pretty much have to keep propping up the Wii U for another 4 or 5 years before we will start to see another generation of consoles. Portables are irrelevant since they have been very successful, and I doubt the New Nintendo 3DS is going to be around for long because like the DSi, developers don't really care about slightly better technology for portable games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea, Rennadrel. Nintendo would be "stupid" to finish a game mostly done on the Wii U and release it with probably a guaranteed 3 mil+ sales at full price. Stupid indeed.

Generally anytime I hear you say what Nintendo "should" do it actually sounds stupid and like you want Nintendo to go belly up, no offense. Like your whole they need their next console to be a mid range pc specs? ROFL.

Also it has been reconfirmed as a 2016 release on Wii U by Reggie and Iwata at/since e3.
    "Mostly done"? You seem to be pulling that assumption out of your rear end. If it was mostly done, they would have it done for early next year, it was being delayed for a year. Why the hell would anyone release a game after 3 years of development on a platform with only 10 million owners? They sure as hell aren't going to make their money back, especially on a system that won't sell another 10 million more in the next 12-18 months before the game comes out since once again, it has no future and no big games. They fucked up Star Fox Zero and rushed it, but it won't be a system seller because every Nintendo fan worth their salt who loves that franchise can tell that it is going to be mediocre because they haven't put an effort into it.

And as far as I am concerned, the Wii U should be destroyed and made into a miserable memory, almost as bad as the Virtual Boy sales wise, but even it had some games to play. Every few months I have to clean the layers of dust off my Wii U because it is just sitting on my desk doing absolutely nothing because Nintendo can't get any support for it. Meanwhile the 3DS gets regular use, and even it has a bleak future right now with few big titles coming up in the next 12 months, despite the fact that Nintendo can't seem to be bothered to get with Square Enix to localize some of the fucking games that have been out in Japan for 2-3 years like the Dragon Quest 7 remake. These guys seem to be afraid of making money by doing things properly. Trying to go out on their own clearly hasn't worked for Nintendo, which is why they need a change of direction if they expect to continue making consoles and actually getting sales.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Wow would the Wii U be an absolute dismal failure to have NO Zelda games on the entirety of the systems life. What a con for so many who bought one thinking ahead for the classic titles they thought would come out for it.

Sure, you got Super Smash Bros. .... What a system.

Your opinions?
    I don't regret anything. There are plenty awesome games. Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Donkey Kong. If I take a look at PS4/XBone I wouldn't even know what to play, maybe Bloodborne and that's it until FFXV and FFVII get released. And I don't even trust Square to make good Final Fantasy games anymore, even if they are "remakes".

10+ Year Old Account

Says the Wii and Wii U weren't bad consoles... proceeds to only provide negatives about them. The Wii U had potential that they squandered. The Wii was going to be bad no matter what, but admittedly they were pioneering motion controls so they couldn't really know how hard it would be to get motion controls to just not be annoying.

There are plenty of excuses why the Wii and Wii U are bad consoles, but they're still pretty bad. Both consoles felt like I was just basically buying a 300 dollar ticket to get to play Nintendo games for the generation. There aren't really any positives to buying a Wii and Wii U except Nintendo's games and like I've said a million times, I'd much rather just play Nintendo developed games on a Sony or Microsoft console.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    "Mostly done"? You seem to be pulling that assumption out of your rear end. If it was mostly done, they would have it done for early next year, it was being delayed for a year. Why the hell would anyone release a game after 3 years of development on a platform with only 10 million owners? They sure as hell aren't going to make their money back.
    Oh man this shit is so classic.

So do you honestly think Smash 4, MK8, SM3DW didn't make Nintendo their money back selling millions at full price? You seem to be using the console install base as barometers for making their money back on game development. Nintendo would love for the install base to be higher but their heavy hitter games on the Wii U have done anything but "lose" them money on their development.

If anything them NOT releasing it on Wii U is lost money. Because you know Sony not holding off The Last of Us for PS4 sure was stupid... oh wait it wasn't and they ended up selling a shit load of the game a 2nd time.

And yes, seeing as it has be reconfirmed for 2016 release on Wii U multiple times it is MOSTLY DONE, in the last 4th or less of it's development and probably entering QA phases(this may be shocking to you in today's gaming but nintendo actually has a LONG QA phase) in the next 6-8 months. If you knew how game development worked this would be obvious to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    people talking about the wii like it's a failure, yet it sold like fucking hotcakes, same as the ds-3ds... nintendo totes fuked up bois.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    people talking about the wii like it's a failure, yet it sold like fucking hotcakes, same as the ds-3ds... nintendo totes fuked up bois.
    It failed gamers. A lot of people felt burned by Nintendo since they bought a system that didn't have as impressive a library as the PS3 and Xbox 360 and had mandatory motion controls which were a hassle except in games like Just Dance and Wii Sports. But I don't know why anyone would say the DS or 3DS were failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It failed gamers. A lot of people felt burned by Nintendo since they bought a system that didn't have as impressive a library as the PS3 and Xbox 360 and had mandatory motion controls which were a hassle except in games like Just Dance and Wii Sports. But I don't know why anyone would say the DS or 3DS were failures.
    Speaking as a gamer, and not someone looking at sales numbers the 3DS failed me a lot harder then the Wii U did.

My library of worthwhile games on Wii U easily doubles that of 3DS.

The 3DS is flat out the worst piece of Nintendo hardware I have ever owned. Persona Q, SMT4, OOT3D, MM3D, M&L Dream Team, and New Leaf(2 of those aren't even Nintendo games). That's about it, the rest of the library was hodge podge trial versions of Wii U games(MK7, Smash, 3DL) or games that are terribly overrated(BD, MH).

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as a gamer, and not someone looking at sales numbers the 3DS failed me a lot harder then the Wii U did.

The 3DS is flat out the worst piece of Nintendo hardware I have ever owned. Persona Q, SMT4, OOT3D, MM3D, M&L Dream Team, and New Leaf(2 of those aren't even Nintendo games). That's about it, the rest of the library was hodge podge trial versions of Wii U games(MK7, Smash, 3DL) or games that are terribly overrated(BD, MH).
    I can understand that but I honestly don't have as high standards for the 3DS. With the Wii U I constantly feel like I'd rather just have my games on my PS4, whereas with the 3DS the only other alternative is the Vita which is in a worse position.

Although I am a Pokemon fanboy so as long as I can play my Pokemon games then I am happy. But yeah, the 3DS definitely has had some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Why not drop the Wii U?
    Because dropping the Wii U would do more harm than good. It would actually hurt the fans who were loyal and bought it. That's not even including the fact that Nintendo is still making a profit off of it.

How can you say that name as a good title and then say Monster Hunter as a overrated game, and not mention Fire Emblem.

The 3DS has a huge amount of good games itself, and claiming Mario Kart 7 as a trial version of a Wii U game is a little out there in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    How can you say that name as a good title and then say Monster Hunter as a overrated game, and not mention Fire Emblem.

The 3DS has a huge amount of good games itself, and claiming Mario Kart 7 as a trial version of a Wii U game is a little out there in my opinion.
    MH is garbage, not overrated. Sorry corrected it for you.

Mario Kart 7 is basically a reskinned mario kart wii with shit graphics that came out a few years before the definitive mario kart game in 8. Trial version of 8 might actually be too good of a title for it.

I'm also not a fan of FE Awakening tbh but to go into that would be way too long of a post. It's an ok game but it took away a lot of shit that makes FE good and added a ton of casual shit along with cringe worthy dialogue that almost no one but weaboos would like in most situations. It's an k game but the bad parts of it are REALLY BAD and overshadow the good for me.

Dream Team has everything that I like about Mario rpgs, yea it has annoying tutorials but that is the only fault I have with the game. It plays exactly how a M&L game should play and they also didn't make it full blown casual mode like most RPGs are going these days.

3DS just doesn't do it for me. It has a terribly overrated game library IMO. The Vita and Wii U both dwarf it and get my bed room play time 3DS collects dust until once in a blue moon when the stars align and it gets a good game.

We may have some similar taste in games, but if you like Monster Hunter we also have vastly different taste in other games. That's all there is to it. I find MH to be the biggest piece of recycled low budget garbage to come out of Japan. I have more respect for the devs of CoD and AC then those of MH.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-07-10 at 06:40 AM.

MH is garbage
    THANK YOU

Someone understands me :<
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    MH is garbage, not overrated. Sorry corrected it for you.

Mario Kart 7 is basically a reskinned mario kart wii with shit graphics that came out a few years before the definitive mario kart game in 8. Trial version of 8 might actually be too good of a title for it.

I'm also not a fan of FE Awakening tbh but to go into that would be way too long of a post. It's an ok game but it took away a lot of shit that makes FE good and added a ton of casual shit along with cringe worthy dialogue that almost no one but weaboos would like in most situations. It's an k game but the bad parts of it are REALLY BAD and overshadow the good for me.

Dream Team has everything that I like about Mario rpgs, yea it has annoying tutorials but that is the only fault I have with the game. It plays exactly how a M&L game should play and they also didn't make it full blown casual mode like most RPGs are going these days.

3DS just doesn't do it for me. It has a terribly overrated game library IMO. The Vita and Wii U both dwarf it and get my bed room play time 3DS collects dust until once in a blue moon when the stars align and it gets a good game.

We may have some similar taste in games, but if you like Monster Hunter we also have vastly different taste in other games. That's all there is to it. I find MH to be the biggest piece of recycled low budget garbage to come out of Japan. I have more respect for the devs of CoD and AC then those of MH.
    How the hell can you say the two systems with significantly smaller libraries (especially in NA) are better than the 3DS? Seems more like an issue in your taste in games more than anything. Bravely Default and Fire Emblem alone make the system worth owning, but I really think that the library is pretty deep. Etrian Odyssey Untold which are two side stories to the DS games are some of the higher quality RPG games on the system. I have been playing Etrian Mystery Dungeon lately and that game is pretty good.

I still think Nintendo really dropped the ball by making Metroid Prime Federation Force a 3D game when fans have been clamouring for a side scrolling game since Hunters, which was a pretty terrible game in its own right. Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil were both solid releases earlier on as well. Either way, the 3DS has a lot of great games on it, but it certainly could use some diversity.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2015-07-10 at 10:06 AM.

For me (personally) the Wii U failed with the horrible tablet gimmick. Some games use it wisely (Mario kart), while other games used it to enforce gimmicky motion controls.

But wait the fanboys rage! You have a classic controller rabble rabble. But that only works for a few games.

Nintendo needs to stop trying to shove new gimmicks down everyone's throat and go back to what they do best. Make damn good first party games.