Lightbulb Building / upgrading a new computer in stages, eventual goal of 4k gaming.

It is time for me to build a new computer, unfortunately I am rather bad at saving money in my "fun money" account (keep spending it all on my grandkids ) . I currently have around $800 with an eventual goal of around $1500 - $1700 and am considering buying the parts over the next two months. I do not want to run the risk of parts being doa and missing out on the return period. What I am considering doing is buying the "key" components needed for a fresh windows install, putting my old parts into it and then just swapping around those parts. I have a nice 1200w power supply, it is a few years old, but doesn't appear to have any problems. I also have a large case which I am mostly happy with, all peripherals, an optical drive (which I use extremely rarely), and a 1tb HD that is nearly full so will need another at some point. I do not need an OS. I live in the U.S.A. The goal is to do 4k gaming. The computer will be used for very minor video editing and work, but nothing that should require high specs. For the Initial purchase, I am thinking of something like this

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    SSD: Crucial bx100 250gb , ($90 @ amazon)

This should allow me to install a fresh OS onto the SSD, use my old video card (a NVIDIA GeForce gtx 750 Ti, yes I know this will be a major bottleneck) and my current Hard Drive for other stuff, and run everything until I get another $700 to buy a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card and then in a few more weeks buy another. And finally pick up another regular Hard Drive (minimum 2 TB). My wife has already let me know I will be getting a new 4k monitor for my birthday so, that covered.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about it differently or concerns about the build.

Deleted
    My suggestion is to wait until next month before buying, as the new architecture should be coming out early-mid August. The above is a nice enough starting point, though.

Deleted
    Yeah i am with tenangrychickens on this. I know you mentioned it can be hard to save without spending but you are doing it during the wrong time. The current cpu line has ended and awaiting for the new ones in a couple months. Considering also that you are going to wait for a couple months to finish it then just wait

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prioritise getting a computer that could run high FPS rather than 4K. If you focus on getting a PC that can work well with 144hz 1440p monitor, you will - in gaming - get a better experience than 4k 30 fps. If you need it for other work than gaming (Like you wrote, you would be doing minor work outside of gaming)