Poll: Is weight loss surgery equal to doing it on your own?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The weight loss surgery doesn't have a good success without diet and exercise, sure they will lose weight from eating less but eventually their stomachs expand back out if i they don't change their habits

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post
    I'd like to see a 600lb man do some push ups or some sit ups. You'd be a great PT for someone who has weight issues.
    Hey pops. I thought we were talking about slightly over weight people. Consider my cousin William. He's 5'8 an got up to 260lb. After 6 months of working out in my shadow. We got'em to 208lb. Literally the first two months was just. Pushups, situps, an 20min in the sun walking.............an ALOT of water.

Now we jog, pull ups, situps, push ups, 20min walking, liberal weight lifting using 20lb dumbbells
    Last edited by Misjudged Maaanwell; 2015-07-09 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedomoazul View Post
    Hey pops. I thought we were talking about slightly over weight people. Consider my cousin William. He's 5'8 an got up to 260lb. After 6 months of working out in my shadow. We got'em to 208lb. Literally the first two months was just. Pushups, situps, an 20min in the sun.............an ALOT of water.
    The topic was for people who are so overweight they potentially need surgery. There is a huge difference between those who are able bodied and those that aren't. Congrats with your cousin though, I'd have done it differently however still an achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surgery is useless if they don't change their eating habits.

The topic was for people who are so overweight they potentially need surgery. There is a huge difference between those who are able bodied and those that aren't. Congrats with your cousin though, I'd have done it differently however still an achievement.
    Which goes back to my first post. It should NEVER of gotten to that point. Basic movement just to tune the body is all people need. but shit. televsion!

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not sure you know how to eat if you talk about butter fiends. Butter is incredibly healthy and should be eaten more. I cook pretty much everything in butter. If you're talking about margarine, or hydrogenated fats, then yes. Eating that isn't going to help you at all. Saturated fats are fine, most people are fat because they lack fat in the diet and contains upwards of 70% carbohydrates.
    Saturated fats are okay in moderation, that doesn't mean they are "fine" to eat. Mono and polyunsaturated fats are the way to go.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Which goes back to my first post. It should NEVER of gotten to that point. Basic movement just to tune the body is all people need. but shit. televsion!
    You can be doing "basic movement" while eating 5000 kcal a day, and you'll still be gaining weight. Diet's pretty important.

I don't consider myself to be fit to judge everyone in the world who tries to lose weight. I'm skeptical of anyone who does.

I read this scientific article about fasting. I'm currently on my fourth day of the recommended 5 day fast. Lots of positive benefits including weight loss.

Man am I hungry. Not all the time, the huger pangs come and go.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Saturated fats are okay in moderation, that doesn't mean they are "fine" to eat. Mono and polyunsaturated fats are the way to go.
    Ok, considering that isn't what I know can you explain what you mean? I mean, the lipohypothesis has been proven false time and time again so if it's anything to do with relation to cardio vascular disease, your knowledge is based on fraudulent science.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I read this scientific article about fasting. I'm currently on my fourth day of the recommended 5 day fast. Lots of positive benefits including weight loss.

Carb or keto? Keto and fasting wont make you as hungry apparently.

I did the seven-day chili-dog cleanse that was circulating social media.

I sure did get rid of a lot of yucky brown toxins!

Deleted
    Yes an no. People get fat because of the type of foods they eat. Ive had first hand experience with of being lean as a teen and competing in very high level sports to being overweight in my early 20s. I always thought calories in calories out was the way to go and the analagys people talked about always made me think I knew exactly what metabolism was. Roll on weeks of always being hungry, no motivation to do anything, little change in weight. I knew this wasn't working and with the personality I have, I decided to research current nutrition and human bio chemistry during the time I was meant to be studying g for my computer science degree.

Nutritional guidelines are wrong. They are flat out based on correlative connection rather than cause and effect. Even with the correlations, a man known as Ancel Keys proposed the lipohypthesis by purposefully excluded point (countries) from his correlative graphs. We are moving towards high fat diets with a w carb intake. Any person who is over weight, these diets work for. There are a plethora of other health benefits related hflc diets, however considering it accelerates fat loss to an impressive rate this thread is about weight loss specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Hargalaten View Post
    Both, ahahaha. It's a fast, you don't eat, or you eat like a cup of veggy soup.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargalaten View Post
    Ketogenic diets staves off hunger due to greater suppression of ghrelin, the hunger hormone.

Ketogenic diets staves off hunger due to greater suppression of ghrelin, the hunger hormone.
    I've heard good things about keto, Endus the forum mod is a big believer. The main problem I see with it is it's expensive to buy protein and it doesn't fit into a normal diet meaning if you sit with family you have to have special food.

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I've heard good things about keto, Endus the forum mod is a big believer. The main problem I see with it is it's expensive to buy protein and it doesn't fit into a normal diet meaning if you sit with family you have to have special food.
    A common misconception that the diet is made up of loads protein. The keto diet actually consists of less protein than a 'healthy traditional diet. You can get protein from many food sources, not just meat. A lot of people get keto mixed up with Atkins, they are quite similar but they do have a few major differences. It's mainly about restricting carbs and eating a shed load of fat with some protein on the side.

The second part is true, my family hated it to begin until they realised I could eat pretty much the same as long as I supplemented myself and didn't eat the carbs. We always eat fresh so its easy to cut the potatoes or rice out of a meal. I tend to have a portion of meat with butter fried spinach, shallots, bacon and loads of cheese. Takes 10m to make and could be a meal in itself for most. It fills you up.
    Last edited by mmocd42035da1b; 2015-07-09 at 08:48 PM.

I think in the end the biggest thing we will glean from Weight Loss Surgery are other causes for obesity and diabetes. One thing that has been known with weight loss surgery is that when someone gets their stomach shrunk, after a few weeks, their diabetes starts to get reversed and they start to lose the weight. Many are speculating that this isn't just about their knocking out carbs because someone could go on a carb zero diet and still not see the same effects as someone who has surgery and that stuff like diabetes and some weight gain can be the result of bad bacteria flourishing in the stomach and body that can't sustain itself when someone has surgery.

Are they equal and are people taking the lazy way out?

As for as equality, no, I don't think they are equal. I think it's a great option for some people who need immediate results but have struggled to lose weight their entire life. There are other complications that come post-surgery that a person needs to deal with (Mainly the fact their nutrition is screwed and they can never rid themselves of loose skin except with surgery). I wouldn't sit there and call it a lazy way out because not everyone gets fat because their lazy. (and if you think that's the case, well you're just a fucking prick piece of shit)

Diet and Exercise is best for those who don't need immediate change but it needs to be medically supervised and followed or it's not worth it and will most likely fail. There is too much misinformation out there and it only seeks to harm people and make them fatter in the end so that people who peddle shitty books on paleo diets or gluten-free diets etc can just make more money off fighting a disease that is already killing someone.

Deleted
    Well if your family cooks chicken with veggies and potatoes, you'd not eat the potatoes. my ex gf did a keto diet it costed her around 20-25$ a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Until you're overweight I don't think it's fair to make judgements about the thoughts, decisions and live of those that are.

I'm about 10 kilos overweight myself, not much, but man it's hard deal with and to keep myself from getting bigger. Why? I take several medications for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, panic attacks and depression. Some days I can barely get out of my apartment thanks to this damned anxiety.
    Along with anxiety and depression comes overeating and I can with certainty say that I've got a problem with sugar. It's a kind of , a feeling of goodness and a kick and the urge to feel it is ridiculously hard to resist that urge.
    I did manage to really pull through and I lost about 3 kilo's over 6 months or so. But FUCK, it's hard to maintain.

I definetly understand someone that feels the need for surgery to reduce their weight. It's one thing to maintain and keep ones weight, but another one entirely to lose weight, some times as much as tens of kilos. It also depends on your age. If you're below 30 your ability to lose weight is a lot better, but if you're 40-50 it suddenly gets a lot harder and you might even have lost the will to try because you feel like you're gonna die soon anyway.
    I hear ya. Back in the day I was fat because of an undiagnosed sleep disorder. Once I got proper treatment* it was life changing. I ate less, I slept more, I felt more rested, I did more.

*I initially went to the doctor and complained of being tired all the time. First thing my doctor did was send me to the lab for an A1C and then he diagnosed me with diabetes. He prescribed me medication and I only got bigger and it didn't fix my tiredness. It wasn't until 3 years later when I learned about my sleep disorder and demand I be tested for it that it was caught. It was hell losing weight while on diabetes medication but I could drop weight ridiculously fast while off medication but by that time, was dealing with other issues whenever my bloodsugar got too high.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I know you are supposed to "respect" people who lose a lot of weight, but they lost twice that respect from me when they gained that weight in the first place.

I mean..there's gotta be a moment when you are short of breath, look shit, can't climb that flight of stairs, blood pressure goes up where you should be like.."Oh wait..warning sugnals" - and then people still put on an extra 50 or 100 pounds?

No...actually no respect. And I say that not least because I have been in a situation where I gained more weight than I should have. Not critical, I was at 220 pounds at 6'2 - now down to 180....but when people congratulate me on the weight loss I am more like "Well, why the fuck was I such a pig to gain it in the first place?"
    Oh man, fuck right off.

I was in and out of incompetent medical care trying to figure out what was wrong with me for almost 15 years. My GP diagnosed me with diabetes and put me on insulin stimulating medications which caused me to only gain more weight. My hunger was a bottomless pit. It wasn't until I found out I had a sleep disorder in my mid-20s that I was finally able to do something about my weight.

I was sleeping close to 12 hours a night average and my doctor kept blaming it on high blood sugar. Now I can't sleep more than 7-8 and have never felt more rested in my entire life. And yes, my sleep disorder can be traced back all the way to my childhood when I was a small kid wearing toddler close in kindergarten/first grade.

My hunger? Almost completely gone now that my sleep disorder is treated. I remember back in the day when Wendy's had a dollar menu and you could get like double stacks. I would order 3 double stacks and 2 chicken nuggets for $5 and could put it away and be left wanting a desert. Today, I can't even eat a whole double stack. It's too greasy and too big.

Not everyone just eats and eats to get fat and makes a choice out of it.
    Last edited by fwc577; 2015-07-09 at 09:02 PM.