Thread: Why is brew OP?

Deleted

Why is brew OP?

Hey guys, I hear everyone saying brew monks are OP, yes even after the patch.

But what makes them so good? What I make out of it, monks have no passive overall damage reduction, "only" for magic damage taken, but no physical.
    I have a 92 brew monk and it's good fun to play, but I feel kinda squishy for a tank :/

Enlighten me, please

Because resolve scaling is broken.

You get millions upon millions of guard absorption.With the new 4pc,you can outheal pretty much any healer on many fights.

A tank that doesn't need external healing is pretty much op...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramini View Post
    Because resolve scaling is broken.

You get millions upon millions of guard absorption.With the new 4pc,you can outheal pretty much any healer on many fights.

A tank that doesn't need external healing is pretty much op...

Every tank needs a lot of external healing. Thinking 50k damage taken per second is cancelled off by 50k tank hps is completely wrong when you're talking about absorbs. If that's your logic (which it seems it is) you'd be counting guards healing twice. It's the same with any tank absorb in the game btw you're double dipping with your maths.

Example to make it clear
    If you had a 500k guard up and took a 800k hit. Recount/Skada would show 300k damage taken & 500k healing done. So you healed yourself for more damage than you actually took in that situation?? Hows that possible? It isnt. In reality theres 300k of your health gone that a healer now needs to deal with. But on the meters you look like tanking/healing jesus as a brewmaster.

DK's/Brewmasters get numbers on skada that make it look like they're self sufficient because they're absorb based. In reality most of the tanks in the game need about the same amount of external healing (ish). It's because they rely more on absorbs instead of flat damage reduction. If blocks & defensive stance were shown as healing warriors would be up on the healing meters. Likewise when a bear dodges an attack with savage defence. The dodged damage doesnt count as healing done.

Best way to check is to just look at your healers healed targets. A DK could take 40k damage per second, have 50k hps done on himself. And still have taken millions of healing from healers.

I don't know why I care to be honest. It just always irritated me as a prot warrior when people talked about DK/BrM healing & they were being completely moronic
    Last edited by mmoc028a8df6da; 2015-07-11 at 04:26 AM.

Deleted
    Brewmaster monks are not OP though. Guardian druids are.

Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    Every tank needs a lot of external healing. Thinking 50k damage taken per second is cancelled off by 50k tank hps is completely wrong when you're talking about absorbs. If that's your logic (which it seems it is) you'd be counting guards healing twice. It's the same with any tank absorb in the game btw you're double dipping with your maths.

Example to make it clear
    If you had a 500k guard up and took a 800k hit. Recount/Skada would show 300k damage taken & 500k healing done. So you healed yourself for more damage than you actually took in that situation?? Hows that possible? It isnt. In reality theres 300k of your health gone that a healer now needs to deal with. But on the meters you look like tanking/healing jesus as a brewmaster.

DK's/Brewmasters get numbers on skada that make it look like they're self sufficient because they're absorb based. In reality most of the tanks in the game need about the same amount of external healing (ish). It's because they rely more on absorbs instead of flat damage reduction. If blocks & defensive stance were shown as healing warriors would be up on the healing meters. Likewise when a bear dodges an attack with savage defence. The dodged damage doesnt count as healing done.

Best way to check is to just look at your healers healed targets. A DK could take 40k damage per second, have 50k hps done on himself. And still have taken millions of healing from healers.

I don't know why I care to be honest. It just always irritated me as a prot warrior when people talked about DK/BrM healing & they were being completely moronic
    The difference is, on a boss you have to taunt swap, Brewmasters can charge up their Guard and EB charges while they're not being hit, no other tank can charge up their active mitigation while they're not being hit to anywhere near of an extent. Sure the other tanks can max out rage/holy power/blood shield while they're not tanking but that effect is small and will get blown through very quickly once they're taking hits again.

Even in Mythic I doubt there are bosses that can deal 2.5m damage to you in 30 seconds when you start with 15 EB charges, which is how much Guard you will have assuming you taunt swap the boss every 30.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xequecal View Post
    The difference is, on a boss you have to taunt swap, Brewmasters can charge up their Guard and EB charges while they're not being hit, no other tank can charge up their active mitigation while they're not being hit to anywhere near of an extent. Sure the other tanks can max out rage/holy power/blood shield while they're not tanking but that effect is small and will get blown through very quickly once they're taking hits again.

Even in Mythic I doubt there are bosses that can deal 2.5m damage to you in 30 seconds when you start with 15 EB charges, which is how much Guard you will have assuming you taunt swap the boss every 30.
    Where do you get 2,5million guards from? Largest I've seen after looking at some logs are 800k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Guardian druids are.
    Really? Why is that? All I hear about guardian is that they are weak xO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flichenstein View Post
    Really? Why is that? All I hear about guardian is that they are weak xO
    This was in 6.1 the case. In 6.2 they are so strong because
    - They have a much larger HP pool than any other tanking class
    - They have active avoidance AND active mitigation in one spell
    - They have 3 Walls, when specced into bristling fur they have 4, with barkskin on a 1min CD
    - They have solid Selfheal Spells

I think these are the core aspects why guardians are so strong this tier. @ Tyrant Phase 2 they have about the same HP with the aura than any other tank without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Where do you get 2,5million guards from? Largest I've seen after looking at some logs are 800k.
    I hit some million guards in MBRF with Tablet+Potion+Ring+BFD going at the same time. Not much higher than 1 mil though.

Highest I've seen is around 1.18mil when I pop guard early in to the Socrethar fight with on use trinket, prepot, and proc trinket all up. Still pretty crazy though.

1.2mil is the highest I've ever had at max resolve.

Double trinket proc and potion.

You can get a pretty regular 1milish with ring proc and trinkets.

He was referring to the 3-4 Guards you should get if you're tanking for 30 seconds every 1 minute. At 600-800k per Guard, yeah that's around 2.5 million damage bosses have to chew through.

Really though the biggest thing that makes BrM appear not quite as strong as DKs or Druids right now is just that you have a limited number of Guards and Expels and have to use them at the right time to be truly godlike. Without T18 4p this is impossible and BrM is pretty trash, but with it and proper Guard usage dying shouldn't really be something that ever happens.

Trash without 4p is probably going a bit far - first five mythic bosses down and compared to the warrior co-tank I typically require 15-20% less healing required. I could imagine this ballooning out with the 4p though. MY ilvl is also significantly lower than the warrior (707 2p vs 712 4p).

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    He was referring to the 3-4 Guards you should get if you're tanking for 30 seconds every 1 minute. At 600-800k per Guard, yeah that's around 2.5 million damage bosses have to chew through.

Really though the biggest thing that makes BrM appear not quite as strong as DKs or Druids right now is just that you have a limited number of Guards and Expels and have to use them at the right time to be truly godlike. Without T18 4p this is impossible and BrM is pretty trash, but with it and proper Guard usage dying shouldn't really be something that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliansfist View Post
    Trash without 4p is probably going a bit far - first five mythic bosses down and compared to the warrior co-tank I typically require 15-20% less healing required. I could imagine this ballooning out with the 4p though. MY ilvl is also significantly lower than the warrior (707 2p vs 712 4p).
    Well considering Warriors are also trash compared to Druids and DKs that's not really a great comparison. All tanks can do the content of course, it's just a matter of which ones require healer attention and which don't.

Brm has been and will likely continue to be by far the worst and the best tank and I am pretty sure Blizzard is doing it on purpose. Brewmaster is one of the most skill based class/builds of any game I have ever played. You point out exactly why that is..." monks have no passive overall damage reduction".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    monks have no passive overall damage reduction".

Except for stance + stagger? lol. Even in 6.1 I wouldnt have called stagger active..... lets be real. The hardest tank to play is whichever one is weakest in that particular tier. Since it requires more management of externals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, bet my guild misses me now lol.

Whats the ideal way to roll with guard? Use it only when needed? Plan to have one for big dmg and then also build up the resolve when you have 2 available, wait for weapon proc and then use? and expell back up?