Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Comcast and Wi-Fi troubles

I need some advice on what's going on with my wireless connection. I've been asking around some tech friends in real life and wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Essentially, I pay for 105mpbs connection speed. It's only me and fiance that live in the house. However, I noticed it was being sluggish so I ran some speed tests and I'm only getting 28-32 mbps but I pay for 105! Pretty ridiculous. Yes, I understand that you will get a drop-off when going wireless, but I feel like 80 mbps is just ridiculous. If she wants to stream netflix, I can't do anything gaming related because my MS will be like 500-600. I feel this shouldn't happen for what I'm paying

In terms of a router\modem I only use the one that comcast provides to me. Is it possible that I pay for 105, but the router they provide caps out at like 30-40? Also, the router is located on the first floor, probably about 20-30 feet way from my laptop. I even moved my laptop directly next to the modem and got the same shitty results. The only thing left to test is a wired connection, which I haven't done yet.

Is my only option to go out a buy a linksys router? Will that greatly improve my results? I have a comcast technician coming tomorrow, but I feel like it's just going to be a waste of time.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,
    Aucy

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    First, plug in directly to the router with a network cable to test speed. This will tell you if are being restricted. High speed via cable is very picky about length of cable to their network box (might be in your yard, might be a few houses down) and any quality issues with the coax.

If you are restricted in speed testing via network cable, call them up and get someone out there to fix it. This will cost you nothing (except dealing with Tier 1 and probably Tier 2 support, so figure on spending 30+ minutes on the phone to get to a non-idiot that will send someone out).

If you are not restricted (i.e. only wireless is that slow), you can either go down the path of tweaking the router (you should be able to find guides online based on the specific router model) or pick up a good wireless router.

Does anyone have any good router recommnedations if I were to buy a new one? I heard the Linksys - AC1600 802.11ac Smart Wi-Fi Router is good

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.cnet.com/topics/networkin...rking-devices/ this is a good place to start for router comparison. i have Comcast 105 as well, have never gotten over 48, usually runs about 28-32 and i have had techs from Comcast and my company come out and check the lines. im hard-wired into the router and my machine is over-the-top beast, my hardware config is solid and i'm using the right protocols so i know it isn't me. I'm 99% sure you will maybe only once in your life see 105, at 4:26 AM on a Tuesday...and that is all they need to justify selling it as advertised, to you and me.

you're not paying for 105 mbps. You're paying for up to 105 mbps.

10+ Year Old Account
    What model Modem and Router is it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your speed via wireless will be somewhat less than expected, unless your computer is right next to the router.

Test your WIRED speed to see if it's actually an issue with your Internet Provider.

Otherwise it's just a matter of your router, where it's located, and where your computer is located.

I'd say you're getting pretty good speeds considering the placement you described.

The routers provided by ISP's are typically sub par for wireless. Best to turn off that function (assuming it's a combo modem/router) and buy your own router for wireless. Just set it up as an access point and you're all set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't use Comcast's equipment. Among other things, they will use it to create public wifi hotspots that will run traffic through your line (you aren't billed for it but do you really want it there?).

We had a Comcast modem/router for about two months and it was awful. The DHCP service was terribly broken and the wifi would cut out constantly, the only way to get either service running properly again was to power cycle the thing.

Spend a few bucks on your own modem/router. Get a good Motorola or somesuch. It'll cost you about the same as 1 month's service, but you can then turn in the Comcast equipment and stop paying their rental fee (about $10/mo.). Take the equipment to their local office and get a receipt, because you will have to prove later that you turned it in when they "forget" to stop charging the rental fee on your account. And prove it again when you cancel your account someday, that you have no equipment of theirs to turn in. So be sure to save the receipt.

If you are are comfortable doing so, replace the modem's firmware with something like dd-wrt, and you can see exactly what bandwidth is being consumed and which devices are doing the consuming, among a lot of other good stuff.
    Last edited by goblingirl; 2015-07-13 at 08:13 PM.

Don't rely on the Wireless gateways that Comcast provides. I subscribe to the 105mb and I get full speed as long as I use my own router or are hardwired. If I use theirs and connect on a clear channel I cannot achieve higher than 40mbps due to only connecting at 54mbps. Even when I do get connected higher I just don't get the speeds out of their box. Connecting via hard wire gives me expected speeds.

I would recommend what unbound recommended and hard wire. If that runs smooth then I would get a newer 802.11ac router (the new Linksys or Asus ones are nice). Then call Comcast and ask to have their router put into Bridge mode. Bridge mode changes the routing from their device being a router to instead a DOCIS "transceiver" or what was commonly called a "cable modem". This allows your router to receive the public IP addresses from their network removing a layer of NAT.

If you also get phone service with them then this may not be possible with all Comcast provided routers. This is due to the routing protocols used to separate the voice and data networks. This may require a new router from Comcast. While their voice service is VoIP, the voice is actually on a different network. Think of this like having a Data and Voice vlan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    you're not paying for 105 mbps. You're paying for up to 105 mbps.
    wellllllll, he is and he isnt.

he is paying for the "up to" speed, however, it seems that while comcast doesnt discriminate between wired and wireless, their routers suck for wireless transfer speeds. if he went hardwired, he would be getting closer to the 105 at most times. however wirelessly their devices suck and dont give you those same kind of speeds.

i also have Comcast, and suffer from the same issue. cannot get decent speed via wireless means using their supplied router. even had multiple router's delivered to swap out with.

if i connect via hardwire im getting over 125mbps down.

i suppose the only option is to buy a router from another manufacturer and use the comcast router as a paperweight?
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to buy my own. These friggen internet service providers should be put in jail for their bullshit.

For a router, i highly recommend the Netgear Nighthawk.

There are several models, but the 'original' Nighthawk R7000 - http://www.netgear.com/home/products...ers/R7000.aspx

is more than enough for the average home user. Great speeds, separate Wirless SSIDs for fast and slow traffic (so someone with a slow-ass Wireless B legacy device doesn't slow down your whole network), you can set up a guest network as well that is bandwidth and website limited, etc.

Very easy to set up and use, has print server and HDD connectivity via USB ports (run your printer on the network, or attach a USB hard drive for a cheap NAS functionality) - and it has great range. Also supports MiMo for Gigabit WiFi.

I can be at my son's bus stop 60+ feet from the house and still get enough signal to stream 1080p YouTube on my iPad.

And its usually available for the 179$ range or a little cheaper.

I use a TP Link C9 AC1900. Awesome router. Highly recommended. Also, is your modem able to handle DOCSIS 3.0? If not, you won't near 105 mbps.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This and did you plug your computer into your router and test speeds? Wifi connection speeds are hugely slower than most internet connections. You are trying to pump a LOT of data through a medium that doesn't handle that much data well. Your speeds actually look very regular for a wireless connection.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

hey, i dont know how savvy you are, but i thought i would chime in before you throw money away, since i have some experience in the matter. are any of your devices capable of using the 5ghz wireless band?

i work for comcast

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    This and did you plug your computer into your router and test speeds? Wifi connection speeds are hugely slower than most internet connections. You are trying to pump a LOT of data through a medium that doesn't handle that much data well. Your speeds actually look very regular for a wireless connection.
    ahh.. wut?

Even the slowest wireless format (802.11B), which hasnt been used on new devices in literally years, is 11Mbps. Around here, on Comcast, you have to move up to the third tier of packages to get past 10Mbps services.

The next step up, 802.11G, which is also largely no longer used (but a lot of devices that are still in use still have it, so its relevant) - is 54Mbps. That's faster than the 50Mbps down i get from my 129$ package with Comcast.

802.11N, which is the "standard" these days - is between 54Mbps and 600Mbps (with MiMo), and 802.11AC is 430Mbps - 1300Mbps (dependent on the Router and MiMo support).

In aggregate, WiFi speeds are faster than the average "broadband" download speed in the US by a pretty significant margin (which is an abysmal 12Mbps). Same would go for Canada as well, which has a similarly non-robust Internet infrastructure because of lack of competition (like the US).

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    Don't use Comcast's equipment. Among other things, they will use it to create public wifi hotspots that will run traffic through your line (you aren't billed for it but do you really want it there?).

We had a Comcast modem/router for about two months and it was awful. The DHCP service was terribly broken and the wifi would cut out constantly, the only way to get either service running properly again was to power cycle the thing.

Spend a few bucks on your own modem/router. Get a good Motorola or somesuch. It'll cost you about the same as 1 month's service, but you can then turn in the Comcast equipment and stop paying their rental fee (about $10/mo.). Take the equipment to their local office and get a receipt, because you will have to prove later that you turned it in when they "forget" to stop charging the rental fee on your account. And prove it again when you cancel your account someday, that you have no equipment of theirs to turn in. So be sure to save the receipt.

If you are are comfortable doing so, replace the modem's firmware with something like dd-wrt, and you can see exactly what bandwidth is being consumed and which devices are doing the consuming, among a lot of other good stuff.
    i tried the buying my own modem route and they "couldn't find" my modem to register it or something, then asked if i was using an approved comcast modem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    i tried the buying my own modem route and they "couldn't find" my modem to register it or something, then asked if i was using an approved comcast modem.
    What did you buy? Did you make sure it was compatible with comcasts servers? Was it used?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What did you buy? Did you make sure it was compatible with comcasts servers? Was it used?
    a brand new motorola sb6120, which google says is compatible and on their approval list, but at a 1 star rating, the lowest.