Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I'm not asking to make everyone legal, I'm asking for people to stop being raging cunts to immigrants.
    Hardly anyone is being a raging cunt to immigrants. Immigrants integrate relatively well into the US, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be critical of illegal immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't much care if they're offended by things that relate to their status as illegal aliens. There was a Halloween costume years ago that got some attention because it was an "illegal alien" costume that had groups like Voces De La Frontera upset...

... I personally didn't care what illegals thought of it. Mostly because they shouldn't be here to see it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Have to ask iv seen uproar the past few days about illegals being offended by this and that. How they want the right to vote, they want government assistance, i even remember somthing a few years ago about a bill that was up that said that the official language of america is english and the illegals got mad that it wasnt spanish.

SO my question is why do they have the right to demand someone or somthing in the government change? THey are not citizens, they have no legal right to vote or for government assistance. They are here illegally and should worry about becoming a citizen if they want to stay
    . So why is it so bad to offend them?

Keep in mind i know there is a portion that are becoming legal but i also know there is a good amount that dont plan to ever do that.
    You raise valid points but asking "Whats wrong with offending illegal immigrants?" is another topic altogether.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This OP sounds like something Fox or The Blaze would say. The whole discussion in the past week has been about Trump's insulting comments, not about illegals wanting government assistance. All of the discussion in the last week has been about Trump, not about them wanting benefits and that it's ok to be against that. It's just flipping the argument into blaming the victim. Between that and racists supporting the confederate flag with their Dukes of Hazzard posts, the last week has been a study in shifting blame and either playing the victim and blaming the victim.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Honestly, I think I've read only one or two articles on this forum about people saying we shouldn't offend illegals. The only one I can remember at all recently, was something about the flag in a college, that they wanted to take down, and I honestly can't remember if it was an article claim, or the claim of someone reading the article that said, it could be construed as oppressive to illegal immigrants to see the flag... which didn't make much sense on its own.
    But even among some of the more sword drawn liberal types it isn't something I've personally seen or heard people bring up, outside of some woman who once told us, talking about illegal immigrants and the effects on Appalachian manual labor jobs we experienced in our childhoods, was offensive because she couldn't possibly beleive that poor white people lost their jobs to cheaper labor.
    But this really isn't much of a thing in general in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

@ Felya: In all honesty if our current leading party (or the other major political party for that matter) could guarantee the media wouldn't film it our policy for immigration wouldn't be 'Stop the boats', it would be 'Sink the boats'.

We are governed by popularist politics in Australia with both major parties as bad as each other. We'll continue to be governed this way for at least another generation or two.

there's a difference between voicing your opinion on immigration law and calling them all rapists and murderers

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyndallis View Post
    We are governed by populist politics in Australia with both major parties as bad as each other. We'll continue to be governed this way for at least another generation or two.
    What happens in Australia after a generation or two?
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-07-14 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Well... Australia has a unique history...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations
    Dunno what that has to do with illegal immigration.

Incidentally the number of people in the "stolen generation" are a topic of debate among historians. People being "stolen" for reasons relating to miscegenation are often conflated with children being taken away from abusive families for their own safety. The latter continues today in great numbers in impoverished aboriginal communities which are rife with physical, sexual and drug abuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    What happens after a generation or two?
    All the old farts in Parliament finally die? They'll just be replaced with new assholes though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    OP, I'll make a wild guess and say that you are an American, probably born there. You had the good fortune to be born in one of the richest countries in the world, with many admirable institutions that make it a desirable country to live in.

Most illegal immigrants were not so fortunate. They tend not to be born in other rich countries comparable to the US (say, Canada, Japan or in Europe). They often lack the education that would give them the desirable skills that might allow them to migrate legally. They live in places that pay peanuts for hard work and often even that work is not to be found. Many live in countries torn apart by gang violence and horrific murder rates that their countries seem unable to control. What is worse, those conditions are what are likely to exist for their children too.

So suppose the roles were reversed. You were unemployed, uneducated and in a crime ridden country. But you had a chance to cross a border fence or sail a sea, to find work and build a better life for you and your family in the US or Europe.

However, the people in the rich countries don't want you. They fear you will take their jobs, that you will bring the troubles of your country to theirs. So they make it illegal for you to come.

Yes, OP, you can insult illegal immigrants. But most of the world just shrugs and don't see what the people you insult are doing wrong. They are trying to make a better life for themselves.

As an economist, I would say that open borders would vastly increase the world's output - letting labour move to where it is more productive. But as someone with sympathy for the disadvantaged, perhaps more important is that it would help the world's poorest. The irony of it is, that it probably wouldn't even hurt you - the people who want to insult the illegals - as cheap labour is better than expensive labour.

I know the politics make open borders a pipe dream, but even if it's a pipe dream, I find it admirable. Rather like those hard working illegal immigrants toiling in the US and Europe.
    Last edited by mmoced226c0d6b; 2015-07-14 at 03:09 AM.

Deleted
    As an economist you think open borders wouldn't drastically disturb social order so far that economys would collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Most illegal immigrants were not so fortunate. They tend not to be born in other rich countries comparable to the US (say, Canada, Japan or in Europe). They often lack the education that would give them the desirable skills that might allow them to migrate legally. They live in places that pay peanuts for hard work and often even that work is not to be found. Many live in countries torn apart by gang violence and horrific murder rates that their countries seem unable to control. What is worse, those conditions are what are likely to exist for their children too.
    Uh...... Canada and Japan are both very wealthy countries, as are many countries in Europe.

Regardless, your point still stands.
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    That is up to the government, it has the power. People like Bush and Obama don't give a shit about the law and coming to America legally. Hence amnesty.
    Neither did your Righteous Godlord Reagan. In fact, there hasn't been a president in recent American history who actually gave a damn. Because exactly as Endus points out, many of our laws and industries encourage illegal immigration.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Neither did your Righteous Godlord Reagan. In fact, there hasn't been a president in recent American history who actually gave a damn. Because exactly as Endus points out, many of our laws and industries encourage illegal immigration.
    god forbid we hold businesses to accountable for anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's risky to get caught with people working under the table or god forgive illegals in one of those unannounced construction site raids here.

The social insurance costs you have to pay retroactive and so forth and fines on top then possible further fines for violations of safety standards make it extremly risky to do it on a larger scale.

We still got eastern european people on the construction sites and on the fields but they don't work under the table or are illegal here mostly.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2015-07-14 at 03:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its nothing a double fence and minefield cant generally resolve....

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    god forbid we hold businesses to accountable for anything.
    who will fund politicians then?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Its nothing a double fence and minefield cant generally resolve....
    Landmines are morally dubious at best even during war.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    This OP sounds like something Fox or The Blaze would say. The whole discussion in the past week has been about Trump's insulting comments, not about illegals wanting government assistance. All of the discussion in the last week has been about Trump, not about them wanting benefits and that it's ok to be against that. It's just flipping the argument into blaming the victim. Between that and racists supporting the confederate flag with their Dukes of Hazzard posts, the last week has been a study in shifting blame and either playing the victim and blaming the victim.
    Spot on evaluation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Landmines are morally dubious at best even during war.
    Hence why they are between the fences, plus the Advertencia! Minas terrestres! signs.