Thread: weird noise

7+ Year Old Account

weird noise

Hi guys

I have a weird problem coming from my PC. All i know is, if i tilt the PC slightly the noise goes away. I put something under it so it stays tilted and if i bring it back to its original position the sound comes back. I searched google but it came up with many possible solutions but i was wondering is there a way to test the problem without having to open the PC?

Oh and 1 more thing if it helps, the bottom of my PC has those little stubbs i believe to keep the case off the floor but it only has 3 the other one fell off sometime ago. I think by putting an object under it the case balances back up and i think thats whats making the noise stop.
    Last edited by Skylarking; 2015-07-14 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    I searched google but it came up with many possible solutions but i was wondering is there a way to test the problem without having to open the PC?
    Short answer: No
    Long answer: Nope

I'm putting 10 cents on it being the bearings in one of your fans that has decided it's time is up.

edit: if you abosulutely don't want to open the chassis you can always test with a pen or something small to stop the fans that you can reach (not recommended tho as you might end up destroying something that wasnt even broken to begin with)

Might be a wire that gets close to a fan ?

Or ..... giant mutant spiders trying to get out.

anyway you need to open the chase and have a look, have some tape ready and a shotgun and remember .. tape for wire ... shotgun for spiders.

U could keep the pc on a slope and live happily ever after.

Dont put pencils into the fan, this is prone to hitting it so hard, that one of the fans elements will deform (and make more noise), it could dmg the bearing of the fan (and make noise + heat), or it could just break out one of the elements of the fan, which does result in more noise, less airflow, and shorter lifetime of the fan as the bearing gets dmged too from eggy (dictionary tells i should use the world wobbly instead of eggy) running.

otherwise check out whats making the noise (probably something that is interacting with a moving part, aka fan) and make sure the interaction doesnt happen any more.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2015-07-14 at 09:02 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh well thanks guys

Guess ill have to open it lol