[Prot] Getting the most out of your Worldbreaker's Resolve Trinket (Discussion)

With 22% magic damage taken reduced while using Shield Block, and 22% Armor increase while using Shield Barrier, how should we go about using our main active mitigation abilities while tanking a boss?

Do we try to do a 1:1 ratio per 120 rage to get the most out of our barriers and the active armor increase it gives us? It feels like with 120 rage, we'll be able to soak one full hard hit that would've crippled us such as: Mannoroth's Glaive Combo, Archimonde's Death Brand, Socrethar's second Reverberating Blow, Iron Reaver's Artillery, and the like. With our Last Stand and 4 piece, we'll probably be prioritizing shield barrier during the entirety of those 15 seconds too. So what is everyone's thoughts here? How do you get the most out of your tanking trinket? How do you think you will?

I'm thinking for most other fights that don't involve some major tank cds or mitigation towards a magic/physical attack, we'll be using Eye and Anzu. Or stamina stick and Anzu.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing changes. If the boss deals heavy physical damage, pump your rage into Shieldblocks and bleed of exess rage into Barrier. Pooling rage always to cap will most likely hurt your Shieldblock uptime. Also, even a full 60 rage shieldbarrier will barely soak a full hit of any mythic encounter (outside 4p last stand, that is). So your 22% increased armor will hold for one hit - no matter how much rage you spent on it.
    Regarding high damage/ high mixed damage abilities like the Glaivecombo, nothing has changed as well. You pool for those particular attacks and get a full barrier going.

With 4p, barriers will make you pretty unkillable during ls. Especially if the situation is dire and you recived a few hard knocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Nothing changes. If the boss deals heavy physical damage, pump your rage into Shieldblocks and bleed of exess rage into Barrier. Pooling rage always to cap will most likely hurt your Shieldblock uptime. Also, even a full 60 rage shieldbarrier will barely soak a full hit of any mythic encounter (outside 4p last stand, that is). So your 22% increased armor will hold for one hit - no matter how much rage you spent on it.
    Regarding high damage/ high mixed damage abilities like the Glaivecombo, nothing has changed as well. You pool for those particular attacks and get a full barrier going.

With 4p, barriers will make you pretty unkillable during ls. Especially if the situation is dire and you recived a few hard knocks.
    I'll add that on something like Artillery, Death Brand, etc... you'll pool 120 Rage and pop both SB and SBar to avoid the need of any additional CD. This wasn't the case previously, when you'd pop SBar+CD.

NB: SB will now have a use very similar to what it used to have in Dragon Soul for those who still remember.
    Last edited by mmocd210ee9388; 2015-07-15 at 02:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by L Kebess View Post
    I'll add that on something like Artillery, Death Brand, etc... you'll pool 120 Rage and pop both SB and SBar to avoid the need of any additional CD. This wasn't the case previously, when you'd pop SBar+CD.
    I am not sure, but wouldn't you run out of Shield Block charges for when you actually are at the Boss this way?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebbl89 View Post
    I am not sure, but wouldn't you run out of Shield Block charges for when you actually are at the Boss this way?
    Not if you time it properly.

I'm already doing something similar for Mannoroth and Kil'rogg.
    The idea is to keep a Shield Block charge unused at all time, and use it a couple seconds before the X ability. This allows to not sit on any 2 SB charges and loose SB uptime in the process, but also allows you to have that 1 necessary charge up when you need it for the X ability.

If things get complicated at any time because of an unexpected burst, you can always use a Shield Barrier and/or pop a Demo Shout or an on-use trinket - that is if you're saving your other CDs for a later time.

Deleted
    The idea is to keep a Shield Block charge unused at all time
    This just doesn't sound right. Since you are Tank swapping, you'll want to use SB as much as you can while you are up. I mean there's a good chance for Mannoroth that it's up anyway, but for Iron Reaver you really need those 2 Charges, since he hits you in the face, so you use it once, then he uses Barrage for 4 seconds and thereafter you want to use your 2nd Charge and then Artillery will happen for ~15 secs.

SB has 12 sec recharge time, so I'd think it's a close one and might depend a bit, but it might just work out.

For reaver you don't really have the spare SB charges for every artillery it's better of just to plan for an exerternal in the place of personal CD if you need and pop a Sbarr especially on mythic when she swings north of 250k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebbl89 View Post
    This just doesn't sound right.
    Why doesn't it sound right? You are aware you only recharge one SB charge at any given time? And not both at once. So what's the point to have them both on cooldown?

The only reason why 2 Charges is helpful is because you can manage to chain SB for 18 straight sec before having to wait 6 more seconds for a 4th charge. Like this :

ROTATION 1 -

SB-1 = sec-0 till sec-6.

SB-2 = sec-6 till sec-12.

SB-1 = sec-12 till sec-18.

Nothing = sec-18 till sec-24.

SB-2 = sec-24 till sec-30.

Nothing = sec-30 till sec-36.

SB-1 = sec-36 till sec-42.

etc...

If you decide to hold one charge for whatever ability, you get this:

ROTATION 2 -

SB-1 = sec-0 till sec-6.

SB-2 = sec-6 till sec-12.

Nothing = sec-12 till sec-18. (SB-1 is up, but you delay it until SB-2 has reached 6sec remaining CD).

SB-1 = sec-18 till sec-24.

Nothing = sec-24 till sec-30. (SB-2 is up at sec-24, but you delay it until SB-1 has reached 6sec remaining CD).

SB-2 = sec-30 till sec-36.

etc...

Like I said, all you did here is delay one charge, which means you don't "loose" it, it's there to be used whenever you need, and this won't change anything to your SB uptime.

Sure instead of having a straight 18 sec SB, you only get 12 sec in rotation 2, which isn't a deal at all if you know what you're doing.
    Pop a SBar at the right time during that period, after an unavoided hit for example (not blocked or parried/dodged/missed), to soak the next hit and allow healers to bring you back up, and you should do fine. I mean nothing new here right? We all know how to manage a hit during SB downtime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by koss View Post
    For reaver you don't really have the spare SB charges for every artillery it's better of just to plan for an exerternal in the place of personal CD if you need and pop a Sbarr especially on mythic when she swings north of 250k
    Yes, if you don't want the extra hustle, you can indeed just ask for an external.
    However, you can also ask for that same external during your tanking phase instead, and keep your SB for the soaking. So it's all the same.
    Also, don't forget you have tones of other personal CDs available to manage this whole fight without externals.

My point is, Shield Block will always be up for the ability you want to soak, provided you use a similar delay rotation as described above.
    And this will allow you to have your CDs up for the tanking phase, which wouldn't be the case if you were to use them to soak the Artillery or whatever magical ability. IMO, the benefit is pretty clear - let me know what I'm missing.
    Last edited by mmocd210ee9388; 2015-07-16 at 01:53 AM.

Deleted
    Why doesn't it sound right? You are aware you only recharge one SB charge at any given time?
    Oh wow, little Einstein thinks he just developed the Relativity Theory by pointing out something completely obvious.
    So what's the point to have them both on cooldown?
    How about not getting your face smashed in by the Boss, because your "saving" your Mitigation for your next life. Is that how you play in Arena? "Yea I died, but at least I saved my cooldowns for the next game". It's not about "losing out" on SB overall, it's about using it, when you actually need it.

Apart from all of this hostile nonsense you spat out, how long are the gaps at Iron Reaver? I just went like this: 4 sec tanking, 4 sec barrage, 4 sec tanking -> run away for artillery and come back within 17 secs and this way you will only have that extra SB the 1st time round, because you start the Fight with 2 Charges. Meaning that it's not worth using it for Artillery when you then get hit into your face without SB rdy.

However it's quite tight, so if you instead spend 5 seconds at the Boss rather than 4 and also if he applies Artillery 1 sec later (he places it pretty damn soon though) then you can use SB 2 times for Artillery before running out of Charges.

Overall in the hectic of the Fight it's maybe a tad too close for my taste. Would need to test and see, I just don't think it's worth using when you then get back to the Boss and receive enormous damage, because you used SB for Artillery.

Now this is all about thinking for Mythic, since nhc and hc it doesn't really matter that much what you do as long as everyone plays goodish overall.
    Artillery on Mythic is 625k vs 463k from Heroic, so you will survive it with SB + Barrier.
    How much of that 625k comes through though by default? Is their any magic dmg reduction or none at all, except Def stance, which is... 25%?
    Well, if there's only Def stance, 625k*0,75= 469k and with my shitty brf hc gear I almost survive that with nothing used (no stam trinket), given I am topped ofc.

Barrier is like what after losing the Boss incoming dmg for resolve for almost ~10secs? Isn't your resolve already gone by then? Since it' about dmg taken in the last 10 secs and then a 60 rage Barrier is Joke, like 30k maybe without any resolve.

And this is specifically for L Kebess again, I just want to find the best way of doing this, if you haven't noticed I have not attacked your person before this post. I merely raised a concern and it is a valid one. If we could use SB for every Artillery, that'd be great, I obviously want that. It just sounds a bit very good to be true, not needing any outside CD or even just self-CD's.

Deleted
    @Bebbl89:

I'm not gonna argue further. I pointed out a clear way of handling your issue. Clearly, you ignored everything I said so no point in arguing, do as you wish.

Deleted
    No, you merely showed number examples without Boss context.