View Poll Results: Do you support this Deal with Iran or Any Deal?

Voters
59. This poll is closed
  • Yes. It's a place to start.

43 72.88%
  • No. Hell No, Iran is not to be trusted and a long ways away from being so.

10 16.95%
  • No, on this deal, but I would be open to another deal (State Below)

6 10.17%

Thread: Iran deal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    So what you think happens in this scenario is Israel gets nuked but I mean really who cares b/c I mean come on Israel right guys?!?!!?!?!?! lmao got us good. But then Israel nukes an Islamic nation in retaliation. And then all sides just go home and no one has any further opinions on the matter.
    THen Israel will nuke Iran. And that'll likely be the end of it from a military perspective. There will be as larger international political / relief response and probably a resultant push for international nuclear disarmament. But Russia will not nuclearly shield Iran and the US will not nuclearly shield Israel.

But let me state this again: Israel is another country, not ours. We're partners, but we're not one country. We cooperate when our interests dovetail. We should not when they do not. That includes, you know, nuclear war.

Wow, where the fuck were you when the Cuban Missile Crisis seemed so risky? You could have hammered that shit out before lunch at Camp David.
    The Cuban Missile Crisis was due to the fact that it was a faceoff between two nuclear peers - the US and USSR - who had similar weapons and with similar capabilities. And it a large number of weapons at issue specifically. Many thousands.

Today the US has roughly 5000 nuclear weapons (if you count the hedge). Iran could never amass a stockpile remotely that large. It's taken India, which vastly outstrips Iran in resources, technology, infrastructure and wealth, fourty years to assemble an arsenal of more than 100.

edit: You should stream yourself playing tic-tac-toe against that supercomputer from War Games. You're the goddamn Gary Kasparov of nuclear war
    No. I just don't think you're doing the United States any service by pretending Iran is some great threat. It's not. It's not even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    GG got you me, you can take it from here bud.. I can't type well with one hand always on my forehead. I honestly don't even know where i'd even start. Night folks.
    Thread's better off without someone who actually thinks ISIS and Iran are on the same side. That's... so fanciful it's hard to understate.

Goodnight. =)

I hope this is just the start. I don't get the point of harboring shit and ill will over events from 40 or more years ago. I would love to travel there someday (safely, where I wouldn't have to worry about my safety because over in the states GOP Rep. Dudley Douchebag decides to make threats toward the country on tv to secure reelection).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Secondly, our ports have been fited with radiological detectors since shortly after 9/11.
    Nuclear detection at ports is, and has been, security theatre. While it is possible to do it properly and there certainly is an effort made to scan for nuclear bombs, I find it unlikely that the US security bureaucracies are capable of properly utilizing new and more effective detection technologies - but even if they can do it in the future, current technology is (and has been) inadequate.

"Inadequate Communication and Oversight Hampered DHS Efforts to Develop an Advanced Radiography System to Detect Nuclear Materials" (Sept 15, 2010)

"Nuclear-Detection Effort Is Halted as Ineffective" (July 29, 2011)
    The Obama administration has quietly canceled a much-criticized billion-dollar program to equip ports across the United States with detectors to pick out radioactive material and nuclear weapons being shipped into the country, after acknowledging that the devices did not work.
    From Nature (April 11, 2015)
    Interest from governments in screening cargo for nuclear material increased dramatically after the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks. At present, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) uses passive-radiation detectors to scan all cargo containers entering the country by land and sea; similar systems are used in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. But passive detectors are prone to producing false positives caused by benign, but slightly radioactive materials such as cat litter and stoneware. More problematically, a terrorist can shield material such as uranium so that a passive system cannot detect it.

In the past few decades, active-screening technologies have become available. These devices produce images of cargo containers using high-energy γ-radiation, similar to medical X-rays. Technology currently used in the United States and United Kingdom generates this radiation through a process known as 'bremsstrahlung', in which decelerating charged particles emit γ-rays at a range of energies. The γ-rays travel through cargo and strike a detector on the other side, creating an image.

These images can alert inspectors to dense material hidden inside lighter cargo — a chunk of uranium inside a shipment of wheat, for example. But they cannot distinguish metals and other dense materials from one another, so shielding nuclear material is not that difficult. “If you take a nuclear weapon and you throw it into scrap metal or into some random cargo, it won’t look like anything,” says physicist Areg Danagoulian of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, who led the latest research.
    For that matter, even if it worked and was used properly (which, lets be clear, it doesn't and isn't), scanning cargo containers on entry is like the security checks for airline passengers; a would be nuclear attacker can either detonate the bomb when it enters the port (which is what they'd want to do in any case for maximum economic damage), or deliver it via another method, such as business jet. Security - like all too much else in the US, is run as Theater.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I hope the Iranian civilian government can control the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the Mullahs. If so it will be worth it.
    I wish our civilians, here in the U.S., can control all the war War Hawks (cough) so invading and bombing a nation is not the first, second and last option.