half new comp. Need help with OS

So upgrading my comp with a new mobo, graphics card, cpu and such. Well im going to use my old hard drive, and I need to know if there is anything I need to know about this whole thing. I know you need to get a new OS or use an old boot disk which I don't have. I made a bootable USB from a guide I found online and downloaded Win 7 ISO and now I have that ready.

Now im wondering if I can just put my old hard drive in there and install that OS like normal with that new mobo and not run into any problems since this OS in on this hard drive. I don't know to much and this is my first time building a new gaming comp.

TLDR; Will I run into problems installing new OS on a new motherboard with my current hard drive that has an OS on it already?
    I don't age I level up...

It depends on the OS, also make sure you got he installation key b4 you install (if you have an OEM version of windows you may have a problem reinstalling with a new mobo, if you have a regular edition you can just reinstall, may need to call a free number to get a new key with your old key)

Assuming everything is compatible you should be good to go. The only thing I would recommend is using a CD backup for the bootable USB because I was having some problems installing from it. Not saying you will, but having a backup never hurts.

I have encountered such problem, You'd better copy data in your old drive and format makes it a new one.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming you backed up any data you wanted to save from the old hard drive, you should be good to go when installing the OS fresh on the old hard drive.

If you want to be sure you are clearing the old drive before installing the new OS, you can do a 'custom' install, and delete/format the old drive before the OS is installed (options for this are given when running the OS install/setup).

Followed by:

Your setup will probably look something like this ^^^ For a truly clean OS install, delete each of the partitions on Drive 0. The install process will create them again as needed. If you have more than one hard drive installed, they will be referred to by numbers. 0 is the first, 1 is the 2nd, etc. If you do have more than one hard drive installed, I'd recommend disconnecting all except the drive you are installing the new OS on, until after you have completed installing the new OS. Then you can reconnect the other drives and go from there.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-07-16 at 04:25 PM.