Page 1 of 34
... LastLast

Windows 10 concern...

Now, I've signed up for windows 10 with the little tray icon, and am looking forward to it. Only I'm a be it concerned about gaming, and the fact that I've never changed operating systems like this. Is there any tips, or things I should be aware of before the change? Also should I be worried about gaming, and just stick to good ol' windows 7?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I switched to 8.1 from 7 and didn't look back. While, yes, 7 is a fantastic OS, 8.1 is a super underrated BETTER OS, in many peoples' opinions, you know, people who tried looking at it and experiencing it objectively. -.-

I'm pretty sure Microsoft took what they learned from the transition from 7 to 8, and then updating to 8.1, to make 10 a seriously impressive OS. I don't think you need to be too worried. Drivers will likely be live when Windows 10 is ready!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I switched to 8.1 from 7 and didn't look back. While, yes, 7 is a fantastic OS, 8.1 is a super underrated BETTER OS, in many peoples' opinions, you know, people who tried looking at it and experiencing it objectively. -.-

I'm pretty sure Microsoft took what they learned from the transition from 7 to 8, and then updating to 8.1, to make 10 a seriously impressive OS. I don't think you need to be too worried. Drivers will likely be live when Windows 10 is ready!
    Thanks, should I backup my files? Or is ok just to upgrade?

Windows 10 can be downloaded at any time during the first year, providing you have Windows 7 SP1/8/8.1.
    You signed up, but you don't need to download it right away nor shall everyone get it right away; MS has stated it would come in waves post July 29th.
    Even then, you can install it at any other time after downloading. So, if you want to wait until drivers and applications have been made compatible with W10.
    Back up your system even if you're not upgrading. Make an image of your computer or create recovery media.
    Once upgraded the old OS shall be in the "Windows.old" folder if you need to do some manual stuff like rolling back or moving around files from the previous version.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Not sure about Windows 10, but I hate Windows 8. It is very inefficient on a desktop to me, to go to certain settings you have to navigate through not only the windows 7 control panel, but it sends you back through desktop>metro>desktop to change some settings. Is this very necessary? I really don't feel like it was made for desktop.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

everything you heard about windows 8 sucking was a lie, it's a great OS runs smooth never had any problems and all games run just fine.

and I'm sure windows 10 will be the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Now, I've signed up for windows 10 with the little tray icon, and am looking forward to it. Only I'm a be it concerned about gaming, and the fact that I've never changed operating systems like this. Is there any tips, or things I should be aware of before the change? Also should I be worried about gaming, and just stick to good ol' windows 7?
    I'm still using 7, and I don't plan on updating until I find out how many of my games and such actually support 10. No way in hell am I ever switching to 8.

Just stick to 7 until you do your research, simple as that. You know what games you play. Just peruse the internet when the time comes and see if anyone is having any issues with compatibility. If so, either upgrade and look for work-arounds, or just wait for them to get fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Not sure about Windows 10, but I hate Windows 8. It is very inefficient on a desktop to me, to go to certain settings you have to navigate through not only the windows 7 control panel, but it sends you back through desktop>metro>desktop to change some settings. Is this very necessary? I really don't feel like it was made for desktop.
    ?? what I've never had those problems the metro ui is just a full screen start button but everything is the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    everything you heard about windows 8 sucking was a lie, it's a great OS runs smooth never had any problems and all games run just fine.

and I'm sure windows 10 will be the same
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. A simple google search will prove you wrong. And as far as that is concerned, I'm still using 7, I haven't had any issues, so why would I want to upgrade? Why fix what ain't broke, as the saying goes? I bet you're one of those people who upgrades their apple devices every time a new one comes out just because there's a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I've been on Windows 10 for about 6 months. It's nice. It crashed a fair amount in the beginning, obviously, but it's very stable now. Haven't had any issues in 2 or 3 months. I did have one snafu with the WoW character loading screen, and they said, we don't support beta versions of an OS.....and then they told me how to fix it anyway.

Bottom line: Don't worry, be happy. Cortana is kinda fun. Edge browser is kinda stupid. Everything is going to work just fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is that a joke? Windows 8.1 is leagues more efficient than 7. Do you even understand that you don't need to or have to see the metro menu AT ALL? I've had t for a year and not seen it once. It boots directly to desktop. I swear people's complaints about win8 get more and more outlandish and far fetched every month.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Is that a joke? Windows 8.1 is leagues more efficient than 7. Do you even understand that you don't need to or have to see the metro menu AT ALL? I've had t for a year and not seen it once. It boots directly to desktop. I swear people's complaints about win8 get more and more outlandish and far fetched every month.
    I would like Windows 8(.1) more if it wasn't forcing me to have a password
    I use 7 on my desktop so I can boot directly to desktop. I guess i've messed something up.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can always just dual boot Windows 10 until you're ready to switch over. And for gaming purposes that's going to happen eventually (DirectX 12).

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Yes, settings are a mess in WIndows 8, but how often you need to touch those, honestly?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Thanks, should I backup my files? Or is ok just to upgrade?
    You should ALWAYS have external backups of the files you can't afford to lose. ALWAYS. A hardware failure, virus, fire or burglary can otherwise make them irrecoverable.

I expect the windows upgrade won't delete your files, but to be safe, have a backup. But more importantly: ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP, even when you're not upgrading. Not on the same hard drive, not in the same computer, and preferably do not store it in the same house. Cloud backup solutions can also be considered. Backup that which is irreplacable to you (personal photos, videos, documents, creative stuff).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    I use 7 on my desktop so I can boot directly to desktop. I guess i've messed something up.
    Some of us LOVE the password requirement so our roomates can't see our hidden stashes of sick ass...gaming stuff.
    You're a towel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    ?? what I've never had those problems the metro ui is just a full screen start button but everything is the same.
    I remember having to fix someones laptop and the ui was just horrible. So hard to change settings. Control Panel was super hard to get to in the none windows ui, usually it is right in the windows orb selection option. Honestly many people bitched about Vista, but I never had a probelm with it and going to vista>windows 7 the change was pretty much nothing. Windows 8 seems to built for laptops/tablets/phones and not for desktops. Maybe they fixed it a little in windows 8.1 or whatever, but that fact still remains. Windows hoped the platform would grow big for tablets/mobile market and it really didn't and while try tried to do that they kinda ignored their original base. I will give 10 a chance(on another computer, or might try to vm it), but I don't have too much faith that it will make me want to change. Probably the DX change is the most important thing that could force me too.

Also I have a UI that I have worked my ass off on, not really worth it to change it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Some of us LOVE the password requirement so our roomates can't see our hidden stashes of sick ass...gaming stuff.
    I have to have a password to be able to connect my phone through my lan to look up files or copy them because attaching a cord to a phone is so a first world probelm.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Sounds like you've messed something up :P. Mine doesn't have a password.

You can turn that off in like 30 seconds.

So how does the upgrade work? Is it just like a fresh OS install (i.e. I will have to re-install my programs)?

I have all my data in a separate HD, and I use my SSD only for OS and the most used programs.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."