Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekal View Post

Also I found this, i can put my screen cord into it and into graphics card, right? http://m.imgur.com/RQwLVUF,wCpnHnS
    Yes.

Still get an hdmi cable though since your monitor supports it but that will hold you over. HDMI/DVI will give you a slightly better image is why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm inches away from considering this a troll post...buuut...
    It could be.

Or it could just be someone that just bought a new pc and didn't understand the difference in the ports?(most likely)

Don't really see the need for that comment...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yes.

Still get an hdmi cable though since your monitor supports it but that will hold you over. HDMI/DVI will give you a slightly better image is why.
    Alright, thanks for the help! I'll be using this until monday which will be when I'm going to the town.

I'm inches away from considering this a troll post...buuut...

First of all;
    - You simply need to get a DVI cable, or if your monitor doesn't support it, a VGA to DVI, or a converter between them.
    - Check your monitor, see if it has a similar port as the ones on your GFX card.
    - If yes; Go to a local dealer and ask for a DVI cable. If they ask, it's female to female.

Yup, that's the one:
    http://m.imgur.com/RQwLVUF,wCpnHnS

- If no; Still go to your local shop and ask for a 'VGA to DVI' converter. The converter needs to be VGA(male) to DVI(Female).

Second:
    - Go to NVIDIA.com and download new drivers for your GFX card. That's only going to work if the GFX card is recognized by the system and properly connected. Or functional at all. If downloading drivers and rebooting your pc does not work (of course AFTER connecting the right cable), I advice you to bring your PC to someone that knows what he's doing.

Edited: to respond to OP after his latest post.
    bold text is probably why when I tried to run nvidia it said it required an nvidia blabla thingy right? Then it's all good, won't have to deal with annoying drivers and all that (again)?

Also: People have mentioned both VGA/DVI and HDMI. Like, get VGA to DVI, or get HDMI, or is the thing I found a VGA to DVI converter? :P
    im cool pls respodn

Or it could just be someone that just bought a new pc and didn't understand the difference in the ports?(most likely)

Don't really see the need for that comment...
    But unlike you, I put in the effort to STILL come up with an answer regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: People have mentioned both VGA/DVI and HDMI. Like, get VGA to DVI, or get HDMI, or is the thing I found a VGA to DVI converter? :P
    That's the converter yes, I updated my earlier post.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be.

Only technical thing I've done before this would be changing batteries in my phone

That's the converter yes, I updated my earlier post.
    Will try it, thanks.
    im cool pls respodn

Except you missed the part where I guessed exactly what his problem was in the very first reply to this thread and have continued to help without snarky comments?

Only technical thing I've done before this would be changing batteries in my phone
    Question; Did you build it yourself (or a friend) or is it a factory default?

Except you missed the part where I guessed exactly what his problem was in the very first reply to this thread and have continued to help without snarky comments?
    I'm more of a get all the info kind of guy, so I can't say I'm impressed

10+ Year Old Account

Ssh both helped, peace and love, friends.

Question; Did you build it yourself (or a friend) or is it a factory default?
    Uhhhhh, it was a samsung S2 so a factory one, just in and out with a new, kind of lol.

- - - Updated - - -

1 more question the graphics card has got 2 sockets, does it matter which I use or is it if I'm going to be using 2 screens?
    im cool pls respodn

Uhhhhh, it was a samsung S2 so a factory one, just in and out with a new, kind of lol.
    The PC I mean, unless a Samsung S2 is a PC. (heads to google).

1 more question the graphics card has got 2 sockets, does it matter which I use or is it if I'm going to be using 2 screens?
    You'll need to do the below first. But in essence it doesn't 'really' matter.
    I tried to get the nvidia stuff going before but it quit before System Check, saying "requires an NVIDIA GPU".
    This means that your GFX card is not recognized by the system. Open the case and make sure it's properly fixed into the motherboard (a LITTLE bit of force won't harm it, just make sure you don't use force on parts that break) and all power is connected from the PSU to the GFX card.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PC I mean, unless a Samsung S2 is a PC. (heads to google).

You'll need to do the below first.

This means that your GFX card is not recognized by the system. Open the case and make sure it's properly fixed into the motherboard (a LITTLE bit of force won't harm it, just make sure you don't use force on parts that break) and all power is connected from the PSU to the GFX card.
    I "built" it myself, but I got reccommended which pieces to buy and how to install an OS/drivers by a friend.

My graphics card is steadily connected, how will I notice if the power isnt connected from the PSU to the GFX card? (Screen black/blue/tells me?)
    Last edited by Krekal; 2015-07-16 at 11:40 AM. Reason: It got edited
    im cool pls respodn

I can't believe nobody has said this to you yet, but:
    If you have HDMI ports on the monitor, you want to be using those and not the cable you have now. You probably won't be able to get the full 1920x1080 resolution the monitor was designed to display at. Is this an old monitor or a new one? Because usually if it comes with HDMI or DVI ports on it, it will also come with one of those cables. Also, if the monitor has HDMI it should also have DVI I would think? (The biggest rectangle plugs on the back of the video card) Buy a DVI or HDMI cable from the store if you have to, just be aware that if they charge more than $10-20 you're being ripped off. I like to buy cables from MonoPrice.com for example, as they have good quality for a reasonable price. Or is this just a TV you're using, and that's why it only has HDMI and VGA?

Secondary important question: Did you build this PC yourself or did someone build it for you? More to the point: Did you put the graphics card in the computer? If you don't see anything at all under the device manager other than Intel Graphics, I'm guessing you/whoever forgot to plug the auxiliary power into the graphics card from the power supply inside the case. That would explain why the Nvidia driver can't detect the card. The top back of the card should have 1-2 ports that take 6 or 8pin power plugs from the computer power supply. If your power supply doesn't have those, in the graphics card box it usually comes with 1-2 adapters for those, or you'll have to buy some. The graphics card will not function without auxiliary power.

The plugs look like so:
    http://techreport.com/r.x/970-cards/...wer-plugs2.jpg
    Last edited by stellvia; 2015-07-16 at 11:40 AM.

I "built" it myself, but I got reccommended which pieces to buy and how to install an OS/drivers by a friend.
    Take a picture of your video card inside the case, you're probably missing a power cord.

Deleted
    Oh look people who have no idea what they're talking about lucky for you his GPU have both DVI-I and DVI-D connectors. Guess which one works with DVI->VGA. Does not matter is single or double link.
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e8fd9f1; 2015-07-16 at 11:42 AM.

Deleted
    Krekal can you open the case and take a good picture from inside?

Deleted
    By the sounds of it your card isn't installed properly. Check all the cables are plugged in to power it and that it is properly set in your motherboard.

If your friend knows more about building PCs than you it might be an idea to call him and get him to come help you.

Otherwise: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-Graphics-Card

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Secondary important question: Did you build this PC yourself or did someone build it for you? More to the point: Did you put the graphics card in the computer? If you don't see anything at all under the device manager other than Intel Graphics, I'm guessing you/whoever forgot to plug the auxiliary power into the graphics card from the power supply inside the case. That would explain why the Nvidia driver can't detect the card. The top back of the card should have 1-2 ports that take 6 or 8pin power plugs from the computer power supply. If your power supply doesn't have those, in the graphics card box it usually comes with 1-2 adapters for those, or you'll have to buy some. The graphics card will not function without auxiliary power.
    Exactly, was going there.

Though the HDMI part, last I checked there's no HDMI to VGA converter provided by the box set, so I would stick to the DVI advice for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much to reply to

sec

(imagine it in caps, mmo champion wouldnt let me type in caps)
    im cool pls respodn

Deleted
    Exactly, was going there.

Though the HDMI part, last I checked there's no HDMI to VGA converter provided by the box set, so I would stick to the DVI advice for now.
    He can always buy HDMI->VGA converters.

The others solved your problem, so i'll just ask this:
    Why the hell do you build a computer when you don't know how to plug in a monitor?! I can't imagine what else could be messed up inside that poor computer...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    The others solved your problem, so i'll just ask this:
    Why the hell do you build a computer when you don't know how to plug in a monitor?! I can't imagine what else could be messed up inside that poor computer...
    Everyone needs to start somewhere. I'm sure you had to troubleshoot many issues when you built your first PC too.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    Oh look people who have no idea what they're talking about lucky for you his GPU have both DVI-I and DVI-D connectors. Guess which one works with DVI->VGA.
    It's 6am and I was on my way to bed. Excuse my not checking more thoroughly. Generally speaking though, it's a good habit to familiarize yourself with using proper/modern cabling. Rather than expecting someone who appears to be very much a layman, to use a "jury-rigged" solution that involves knowing the intricacies of DVI port types, etc. And they are probably already familiar with HDMI cables if they using any game consoles or other devices into a TV.

OP should go back to the friends that advised them on parts and ask to be set straight on proper cabling IMHO.

Also, with a nice graphics card and amazing game like The Witcher, your next purchase should be a 120hz refresh rate monitor IMHO. You will be artificially hampering the performance of your card being stuck at 60hz.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2015-07-16 at 11:48 AM.