Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Slashing, Devastation, and a Memorable Assassin

Slashing, Devastation, and a
    Memorable Assassin

by Roy Cronacher on July 16, 2015

Welcome, Tyrians! I’m Roy Cronacher, and today I’m here to bring you information about the last core legend and weapon set for the new revenant profession. In the previous blog, I discussed the staff and the Ventari legend. If you missed it, you can check it out here.

We’ve been discussing this legend and weapon set since we first mentioned the revenant profession and how it called upon legends of the past. Currently we offer a defensive set, a condition set, and a support set as legend options. Now, I think there might be one missing. Oh, right, a physical-damage-focused legend! How about a dark and sinister one? Let’s add lots of slashing and mobility into the mix. Let’s also make sure it’s a name worth remembering. I’m happy to announce the infamous assassin Shiro Tagachi as the next revenant legend!

Since you never see Shiro without his iconic blades, we just couldn’t leave them out. Revenants will gain access to dual-wielded swords to match the Shiro playstyle and complete the full image.

Slashing Destruction
    Slashing, Mist-manipulating attacks, and pure destruction are what the sword set is all about. We wanted to use rapid, flashy attacks to fit the assassin theme of Shiro Tagachi as a legend.

Rift Slash
    “Slash foes, creating a rift on them that explodes for additional damage after a short delay.”
    • The Rift Slash attack will slash at foes in front of your character. Any foe that is struck will have an unstable mist rift sliced into them. After a short delay, this rift will explode, damaging nearby foes. This skill is the third part of the autoattack chain and works great in large groups of foes.

Precision Strike
    “Strike nearby foes with precision, sending out blades that damage and chill them.”
    • Quick attacks are a theme you’ll see throughout this weapon set. This skill will throw blades at nearby enemies, damaging and chilling them. It’s a great way to stay on your target, help catch targets, or just cause some extra damage.

Unrelenting Assault
    “Unleash a fierce attack on nearby foes, shadowstepping to foes in the vicinity and delivering strikes. Gain might each time you strike a foe.”
    • Do you remember the skill in the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ announcement trailer, where Rytlock Brimstone blinks around through the Mists, slashing at nearby enemies? This is that skill. Your character will unleash a rapid succession of attacks while blinking through the Mists to each foe. It can be used for mobility, damage, or just pure awesomeness.

A Memorable Assassin
    Shiro Tagachi is definitely an iconic character in Guild Wars® lore. As with our other legend choices, we wanted to offer a good variety of very notable characters and creatures. For the physical-damage legend, we wanted someone who would make sense for high mobility and have a darker theme. Shiro was the obvious choice. If you enjoy damage, quick attacks, and mobility, I have a feeling Shiro will be a good fit for you.

Enchanted Daggers
    “Enchanted daggers will strike your target as you attack, siphoning life from the damaged foe.”
    • We wanted the heal skill for this stance to have an offensive feeling to it to match the aggressive nature of the playstyle. You’ll summon jade daggers that float above your character. Once they’re summoned, they’ll attack any enemy you strike, siphoning life from that foe.

Phase Traversal
    “Step through the Mists to your target, and make your next few attacks unblockable.”
    • As one of the revenant’s core themes is using the Mists, we figured we should incorporate it into one of the mobility skills that you will gain access to with this stance. Traveling through the Mists sounds cool, right? Your character will step through the Mists from their current location to their foe. They will also gain stacks of an unblockable effect, allowing you to combo into your other skills to bypass heavy defenses.

Jade Winds
    “Call upon the Jade Wind to turn nearby enemies into jade, stunning them for a short duration.”
    • In the Factions® campaign for the original Guild Wars, Shiro released the Jade Wind. This skill is something like that. OK, maybe on a smaller scale—affecting that big of an area might be a bit too strong. You’ll build up power until you release Jade Wind, turning nearby foes to jade for a short duration. We even have a trait that triggers this skill when the player is downed so you can release the Jade Wind when defeated, just like Shiro did.

Revenant Recap
    Now that we’ve talked about dual swords and the last legend, we have a complete set of core weapons and legends for the revenant profession. Let’s take a second to recap:

Core Weapons
    • Mace (Main-Hand)
    • Axe (Off-Hand)
    • Sword (Main-Hand)
    • Sword (Off-Hand)
    • Hammer
    • Staff

Core Legends
    • Jalis Ironhammer
    • Mallyx the Unyielding
    • Ventari
    • Shiro Tagachi

There is one last piece of the puzzle for the revenant in the expansion—the elite specialization for the revenant hasn’t been announced yet, but that will have to wait a bit longer. Make sure to keep an eye out for it in a future blog post, along with the other elite specializations that we still have left to announce.

Anyone who has pre-purchased the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion will be able to try out the full core revenant experience in our upcoming beta weekend events. I’ll definitely be online playing one, and I hope to see you all trying out the revenant as well. I’ll be patiently awaiting your thoughts and feedback.

See you all on the battlefield!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/s...able-assassin/
    Valar morghulis

I guess off hand dagger that was datamined was scrapped for off hand sword.

I loved Factions so I'll def be using shiro
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

So Shiro isn't the elite? OMG I wonder who it can be!!!

It's Glint.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    So Shiro isn't the elite? OMG I wonder who it can be!!!

It's Glint.
    Like they are 100% aware of woodenpot and shaman data mining the crap out of the client yet they still put things in there like elite specs pre maturely in the client and it gets spoiled early. Just wait till it's time Anet sheesh

10+ Year Old Account
    So.... revenant gets to be an awesome assassin instead of thief, cool ANet oh and fuck you.

It'll probably get boring in a day anyway, oh well

Played revenant and honestly I will probably not play one when they release them. I am aware they aren't finished, however the class felt way too stale/limited on what it could do.

EDIT: After today's POI of shiro's F ALLL PROFESSIONS! I'll play revenant just to play shiro
    Last edited by Jinxz; 2015-07-17 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    So.... revenant gets to be an awesome assassin instead of thief, cool ANet oh and fuck you.

It's about the Revenant channeling the spirit of the memorable assassin - Shiro Tagachi. The Revenant is the only profession that can channel legends of the past, so far they've revealed dwarf king Jalis Ironhammer, the legendary demon Mallyx the Unyielding, the legendary centaur Ventari, and now Shiro Tagachi. A thief cannot channel the spirits from the past, the Revenant channeling Shiro is not a thief!

Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what the rev is about and I know who Shiro is.. I've wanted an assassin spec for thief, pretty much exactly what this hero is.

It just doesn't feel right to me, but I don't rly care at this point anyway.

I think thief will go the same path as rogue in WoW, it's safer to keep their mechanics and skills the same.

I would give anything for a GW1 assassin 2.0 with chain attacks that actually take effort to land, it would actually fit perfectly with initiative.

If necros can turn into a reaper I should be able to turn into the shadows dammit

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I know what the rev is about and I know who Shiro is.. I've wanted an assassin spec for thief, pretty much exactly what this hero is.

It just doesn't feel right to me, but I don't rly care at this point anyway.

I think thief will go the same path as rogue in WoW, it's safer to keep their mechanics and skills the same.

I would give anything for a GW1 assassin 2.0 with chain attacks that actually take effort to land, it would actually fit perfectly with initiative.

If necros can turn into a reaper I should be able to turn into the shadows dammit
    Since you continue to post, and post with high amounts of emotion, clearly you do care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to make a Revenant and name him ROY.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...enant-Changes/
    Valar morghulis

Those are some pretty huge changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Those changes sound amazing on paper. Weapon swap being added and legend invoking being instant is HUGE on its own.

I definitely think I'll go ventari and Shiro for the contradiction

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally i like dark themed classes (like, thiefs, necromancers etc.). But the revenant doesn't cought me, idk why. Unsure if he could pull me from my warrior. The double sword legend sounds interesting, but i doubt the playstyle feels like real dual wield.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    Normally i like dark themed classes (like, thiefs, necromancers etc.). But the revenant doesn't cought me, idk why. Unsure if he could pull me from my warrior. The double sword legend sounds interesting, but i doubt the playstyle feels like real dual wield.
    Is Revenant really a dark themed class?

I think he isn't even meant to be, in my opinion he is supposed to be somewhere in the middle. I mean it depends on a Legend you are channeling, Mallyk and Shiro are evil while Ventari and Jalis are good. Sure we might consider it "evil", weaving powers of the mists, but is it really evil rather than unknown?

I personally like the class, will play it for sure. However Reaper is where my interest lies!

It's not dark themed like a reaper, it has dark elements like channeling the dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It's not dark themed like a reaper, it has dark elements like channeling the dead.
    I think it is right in the middle.

For example I can't imagine Ventari himself being angry about someone channeling him to heal wounded and this generally being seen as something bad. While on the hand, Mallyk and Shiro...

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the recording of yesterday's POI with Roy Chronacher going over the Shiro skills and a number of changes to the Revenant.

Valar morghulis

Can rubi be fired? Shes a horrible host and a fucking bitch

- - - Updated - - -

revenant sword off hand blocks all attacks for 2 seconds aoes damage and imbo

can like mesmer off hand sword block stuff for 2 seconds too?

Well based off datamining and what the revenant lacks. It's safe to assume the glint line isn't going to change the revs mechanics. Which is expected since it's a new proffesion and all (maybe one day we will get ritualist spec...). I think glint is going to be about boons and condition removals because there is a serious lack of support boons and cond removal for the rev.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Since you continue to post, and post with high amounts of emotion, clearly you do care.
    You seem hurt in the anal area sir, 1st off I rarely post and 2nd I don't give a shit about this game I was just conveying my thoughts, don't see a problem with that. Sorry for late reply but I am busy not giving a fuck