Deleted

Let us remember.

Dear fellow gamers,

I roam the forums alot and see alot of negativity around.
    Let us remember the good days ( for everyone personally a other timeframe Vanilla,TBC,ect).

When I started I was always thrilled to log back in. In the days I played Social media wasnt mainstream and I didnt know if my friends were online. So when I go online I would see that my reallife friends were in Tyre's hand farming stuff, so I mounted up and joined them after 10 min traveling.
    As a gamer back then I just enjoyed the magic of this game, so much stuff was unknown cause the internet wasnt that big yet.

Well guys what did you still enjoy or have enjoyed of WoW?

Growlite

Deleted
    Really? Another vanilla nostalgia thread?
    I personally enjoy raiding current content with my guildies. Just like I've done since vanilla. HFC is pretty awesome.

I remember the early days. And I'm happy they're in the past. I wouldn't want to go back to those days.
    I can enjoy the game as it is today.

WoD, despite what these boards would seem to indicate, has been pretty decent expansion for me.
    Last edited by mmocdd602b3b80; 2015-07-17 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    I personally enjoy raiding current content with my guildies. Just like I've done since vanilla. HFC is pretty awesome.

I remember the early days. And I'm happy they're in the past. I wouldn't want to go back to those days.

WoD, despite what these boards would seem to indicate, has been pretty decent expansion for me.
    You are in the minority.

Deleted
    back in Wrath pvp was actually fun

season 8 was where the real pvp was at (or still is on AT lol) 3.3.5 <3

Personally, I would rather get more bang for my bucks than the bare minimum. But I suppose it's not entirely in the wrong to just settle for what we got, so good on you, I suppose?

I think that even the average player among raiders, which managed to pull the 'longest straw' (by a rather large margin!) in this Expansion Pack, can see that this expansion has been overall thinner than the usual WoW expansion pack.

-

On topic though, I really enjoyed the sense of danger, which came from the sense of exploration and from the entire world being new to me (things that sadly won't be brought back).

I won't forget my first days in WoW, making friends left and right, sometimes out of necessity, other times out of simple naive social youth. I feel that plenty was lost on this subject. Sure it's my fault for not socializing more with the other players, but there is simply not a need to and, over the years, it has shaped me into a more closed, quiet person within the World of Warcraft.

One thing that I genuinely enjoyed - and can actually see making a come back into WoW at some point - is story driven daily content, bonus point if gated with community progression\zones. Isle of Quel'Danas mainly, Isle of Thunder close behind, followed by several of MoP Factions, which even though less engaging that the previous mentions, still managed to hold it's ground Story-wise.

You blame this to be a vanilla nostalgia thread when he's just asking what did you like in the past (not specifically vanilla) and then talk about how cool it was to raid with your friends back then AND THEN say you didn't miss those times...WHAT ?! xD

Deleted
    Yep.. because vanilla was unfun and horrible, and nostalgia is all that exists. I dread to invoke Godwin here, but people didn't get all nostalgic for Hitler in the 50s, if you catch my drift - nostalgia just doesn't occur on merit - it comes with reason.

When we talk about nostalgia, we're usually talking about things a vast minority enjoyed - the fact WoW garnerned 8 million subscribers into a completely new genre in the space of 2 years, proves that in fact people did enjoy that game experience, if we bother to put nostalgia to one side for a second.

It's also true that when you get such a disappointing product, past iterations are brought into favor - what isn't mentioned is that Vanilla was always in favor - the only things that people bring it down for are bugs and inconvenience - elements that in fact acted as catalysts to form the adventure that once existed, but now does not.

Nostalgia is in full effect - but nostalgia alone, doesn't dwarf the conceptual greatness of the adventure that was Vanilla WoW. Is it to say that that experience was perfect? Far, far from it. However, it's the closest we've ever been in connection to that core form of MMORPG, in many peoples' opinion.

Considering the majority of the total subs came from Vanilla, TBC and Wrath I would say those still playing are the actual minority.
    Taking into consideration the fact that WoW has done nothing but stagnate for upwards of 5 years, I'd say the current game isn't doing much to excel into what it continues to market itself as - an MMORPG. As long as WoW continues to be developed as WoW, as the vision of Warlords of Draenor presents, and continues to classify itself as an MMORPG, frustration will remain a constant amongst fans. Especially fans of the adventure that was lost.
    Last edited by mmoc3277a835d2; 2015-07-17 at 09:02 AM.

I think the problem people have with nostagia, including myself, is that their memories of the 'good old days' only include the things they enjoyed. The further back something you experienced is the more you forget the shitty stuff, but the good stuff sticks. Like people that say that music was so much better in the past than it is now, it's not, you just don't remember the shit.

I enjoyed WotLK most because it was then that I could finally play the game while actually understanding it. I enjoyed that far more than fumbling around in TBC as a 12 year old. Also I agree with OP that the magic has disappeared a bit. The world is smaller, tech is more commonplace and I think those people that started gaming during their early teens when the internet was just becoming a thing are somewhat 'used' to it for lack of a better word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Considering the majority of the total subs came from Vanilla, TBC and Wrath I would say those still playing are the actual minority.
    Even in the heyday of Wrath with 12M subs, the people actively playing and paying were minority compared to the people who had played and quit at that point.
    But the point isn't belonging to either camp.

It's about subjective value to you, to me, to everyone else, personally, not collectively, because we're not a hive-mind that needs to like the same stuff.
    I still find plenty of value in WoW, others don't. *shrug* there's no real argument or discussion there, just statements of personal opinions and taste.

What I do find annoying is these threads which are started with statements like "this is not a troll thread" or "I'm not here to bash" - but the question is slanted that way anyhow just because the very basis of the question implies "then" was way more fun than "now" or that we didn't use to have negativity back then, like it's a weird, new phenomena brought on by recent changes. These threads don't counter negativity, they breed it by creating more polarisation. And then we go on and spend 20+ pages arguing about if some detailed feature really was fun or wasn't and get angry and agitated in the process. Job done for the thread creator.

It's a zero sum discussion and doesn't really lead to anything constructive, hence my reservations in my reply.