Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    It's very important that people realize things like these still happen today, in name of democracy, capitalismus and the USA trying to throw it's weight around.
    You are quite delusional, if you think the U.S does anything remotely close to what happened in the Gulags. From 1929 to 1953 alone, roughly 14 million people were held in Gulag camps. 6–7 million were deported and exiled to remote areas of the USSR, and 4–5 million passed through labor colonies, plus 3.5 million already in, or sent to, 'labor settlements'. Considering they started in 1918 and the last of them only closed in the 1980s, I would say you are full of BS.

A total of 1,053,829 people died in the Gulag from 1934–53. Some estimates go beyond 10 million deaths, overall.

Feel free to enlighten us how anything the US has done even remotely approaches any of these figures.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2015-07-17 at 01:16 PM.

The number matters how?
    That's what I thought. You are just full of crap. Last time I checked, the US does not imprison people for their political views.

Deleted
    Yes, why, are people surprised? UK, France, USA made a pact with this country to win WW2 and even gave it a part of Europe, including countries that were not on Axis's side, like Czechoslovakia. Yet, in the end, the USSR was actually worse than Nazi Germany. Though Imperial Japan in WW2 still takes the first prize in worst country.

As for today, Putin is indeed a child of this. He did work for the Russian KGB...

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    100K Poles were declared "enemies of the state" and sent to gulags. This would be from WWII on. And those 100K poles were only one group of the Soviet Eastern Block countries. You'd have Hungarians, Romanians, Bulgarians, etc.
    You mean the poor Poles who were doing the same to Czechs a couple years prior to that?
    As for Molotov's pact... USSR was the last European country to sign it with Germany. By the year 1938 similar pacts were signed by the majority of European countries.

So, stop bashing USSR. It wasn't perfect, but the rest of the world wasn't any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    That's what I thought. You are just full of crap. Last time I checked, the US does not imprison people for their political views.
    Nope, they just drop a fucking Nuke to you

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Yes, why, are people surprised? UK, France, USA made a pact with this country to win WW2 and even gave it a part of Europe, including countries that were not on Axis's side, like Czechoslovakia. Yet, in the end, the USSR was actually worse than Nazi Germany. Though Imperial Japan in WW2 still takes the first prize in worst country.

As for today, Putin is indeed a child of this. He did work for the Russian KGB...
    Gave it? Who were they to give sovereign states away? USA still occupies most of the Europe, yet USSR is long gone.

lol

Not recently "perhaps". I also do not recall when the US recently had to deal with capitalist anti-revolutionaries.
    The US has never imprisoned people in forced labor camps for making a joke about their gov't, or for petty crimes. Russia did.

Deleted
    See a thread about russian crimes a pitty if all we would do there is talk about the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Nope, they just drop a fucking Nuke to you
    Hint: There is quite a large difference between waging war and oppressing your own population.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTophat View Post
    Christ the second fucking post in the thread is 'Yeah but America!'

People can't even look at the tragic events of history without trying to politicizing them to fit their agendas anymore. At least I can take heart in knowing that most Europeans aren't like Dime Store Anarchist, just like most Americans aren't freedom-waving hicks. It's not much of a consolation but at least it assures me that we're not entirely lost as a species.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll there is a section in those drawing where they would get people to admit to basically ANYTHING with enough torture. Isn't that exactly what the Senate torture report said???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivermark View Post
    Gave it? Who were they to give sovereign states away? USA still occupies most of the Europe, yet USSR is long gone.
    Wrong. If the Americans were a occupying force, they would not be paying Rent for the land, ports they use and would not be obeying local laws. Furthermore they were invited into the region.

Meanwhile Estonia for example still has to deal with Russian Settlers, who were brought in to destryo local culture, who are still refuseing to integrate even after the fall of the USSR.

Deleted
    Lots of soviet remnants and fossils around here. Its disgusting...

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Wrong. If the Americans were a occupying force, they would not be paying Rent for the land, ports they use and would not be obeying local laws. Furthermore they were invited into the region.

Meanwhile Estonia for example still has to deal with Russian Settlers, who were brought in to destryo local culture, who are still refuseing to integrate even after the fall of the USSR.
    I guess native americans still have to deal with Europeans, Chinise, African immigrants...oh no...most of them were killed long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Now we have dozen Soviet apologist incoming with how this is all fake and gulag was actually more like summer camp.
    Do you know what's really sad and just fucked up? Russian people in their 40-70's will never accept this reality. I grew up in environment where adults were talking about USSR like it was a really nice place. And yet everyone knew about these concentration camps. They just still believe that only "really-really bad people" were sent to GULAG's. "Bad people deserve bad things." Yeah, I know it sounds terrible, but that's exactly what they think, as it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by trollercoaster View Post
    Do you know what's really sad and just fucked up? Russian people in their 40-70's will never accept this reality. I grew up in environment where adults were talking about USSR like it was a really nice place. And yet everyone knew about these concentration camps. They just still believe that only "really-really bad people" were sent to GULAG's. "Bad people deserve bad things." Yeah, I know it sounds terrible, but that's exactly what they think, as it seems to me.
    USSR was indeed a really nice place to live. And your personal expirience just showed that you are quite young. People who lived in GULAGS era either are very old in their late 80 or dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malgin View Post
    I guess native americans still have to deal with Europeans, Chinise, African immigrants...oh no...most of them were killed long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivermark View Post
    Read carefully. I underlined the important parts for you. Unless you know of some American indigenous group living in Europe.
    Last edited by mmocaa0d295f44; 2015-07-17 at 02:21 PM.

You're very disgustingly, in my opinion, trying to dismiss or ignore all the horrible atrocities that happened in South-America in name of democracy by the USA.
    Everything the US did from the end of WWII to 1989 was in response to the Soviets. I thought you said you grew up?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    By that reasoning everything the Soviets did was in response to capitalists and bourgeousie. See where this is going?
    Holdomor was in response to capitalism?

They created their gulags in the image of concentration camps because of capitalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Everything the US did from the end of WWII to 1989 was in response to the Soviets. I thought you said you grew up?
    Doesn't make it much better though, innocents were killed in droves in the name of ideology,such things have and will continue to happen.