Deleted

Asus laptops: which one to buy for WoW

I WOULD CHOOSE BETWEen these 2 laptops to play WoW at averagely 60 fps (mid-high details)
    Please choose the one for me
    (sorry for italian language)

Marca Asus
    serie X554LJ-XX106H
    colore Nero
    Peso articolo 2,4 Kg
    Dimensioni prodotto 52 x 32 x 8 cm
    Pile: 1 Litio Ioni pile necessarie. (incluse)
    Numero modello articolo 90NB08I8-M01360
    Fattore di forma Portable
    Dimensioni schermo 15.6 pollici
    Risoluzione schermo 1366 x 768
    Max. risoluzione schermo 1366 x 768
    Marchio processore Intel
    Tipo processore Core i5
    Numero processori 2
    Dimensioni RAM 4 GB
    Tecnologia di memoria SO-DIMM
    Memoria massima supportata 12 GB
    Dimensioni Hard-Disk 500
    Descrizione scheda grafica Nvida Geforce GT920
    Dimensioni memoria scheda grafica 1024 MB
    Tipo wireless 802.11bgn
    Tipologia di periferica ottica S-Multi DL
    Sistema operativo Windows 8.1
    Capacità della batteria al litio 37 watt_hours
    Peso della batteria al litio 250 grammi

OR

Marca Asus
    serie X554LA-XO893H
    colore Nero/Antracite
    Peso articolo 2,2 Kg
    Dimensioni prodotto 51 x 30 x 6 cm
    Pile: 1 Litio Ioni pile necessarie. (incluse)
    Numero modello articolo 90NB0658-M13370
    Fattore di forma Portable
    Dimensioni schermo 15.6 pollici
    Risoluzione schermo 1366 x 768
    Marchio processore Intel
    Tipo processore Core i5
    Numero processori 2
    Dimensioni RAM 4 GB
    Dimensioni Hard-Disk 500
    Descrizione scheda grafica Intel HD 5500
    Tipo wireless 802.11bgn
    Tipologia di periferica ottica S-Multi DL
    Sistema operativo Windows 8.1
    Capacità della batteria al litio 44 watt_hours
    Peso della batteria al litio 300 grammi

10+ Year Old Account
    The first one. Note that none of them are ideal machines (and 1366x768 on 15" screen is a very poor resolution in this day and age) but at least the entry level nvidia graphics chip outperform the Intel HD 5500 by a notable margin.

And as for the processors. Can assume that the second machine has an ultra low voltage i5 due to the HD 5500 chip. Those are ok generally but limited by thermal constraints. I would assume the first laptop has an ULV-cpu as well, but since you'd be using the Nvidia chip for graphics, optimistically you could expect a bit higher turbo clock speeds on the CPU since it doesn't have to budget much power towards its integrated graphics.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-....138763.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H....125586.0.html

4GB RAM is also very little but I would optimistically assume that this is upgradeable later on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    The first one. Note that none of them are ideal machines (and 1366x768 on 15" screen is a very poor resolution in this day and age) but at least the entry level nvidia graphics chip outperform the Intel HD 5500 by a notable margin.

And as for the processors. Can assume that the second machine has an ultra low voltage i5 due to the HD 5500 chip. Those are ok generally but limited by thermal constraints. I would assume the first laptop has an ULV-cpu as well, but since you'd be using the Nvidia chip for graphics, optimistically you could expect a bit higher turbo clock speeds on the CPU since it doesn't have to budget much power towards its integrated graphics.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-....138763.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H....125586.0.html

4GB RAM is also very little but I would optimistically assume that this is upgradeable later on.
    Thank you for your prompt and professional reply. Yes the RAM is upgradable but I agree that 1366x768 is pretty sucky these days. Sadly my budget is around 400-500€ not more. And the full HD is an expensive option
    Do you have any alternative to Amazon?

Depends on what you want to do with the laptop in wow, for basic questing the first one could do, not sure for 60 fps but at least will run semi acceptable but i would not use it do do something demanding as the GPU is basically crap, all things nvidia for gaming are gt(x)*50 and up this one has a 920 which is not realy meant for gaming

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that the Geforce GT920 is now on Nvidia's Legacy drives which I believe are stuck on 304.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Keep in mind that the Geforce GT920 is now on Nvidia's Legacy drives which I believe are stuck on 304.
    This sounds strange to me. Considering it's a Kepler chip and relatively new and relevant, it should not be in any kind of legacy state.

Im not sure what the conversion rate or cost is, but could you bump up to an Asus ROG laptop?

http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-BSI7N24...words=asus+rog

I have this one. I get 60fps pretty solid and only drop into the 50's on large pulls like Kazzak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    This sounds strange to me. Considering it's a Kepler chip and relatively new and relevant, it should not be in any kind of legacy state.
    Never mind I was thinking of the Geforce 9 series. No yea that's fully supported with Nvidia's latest drivers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Im not sure what the conversion rate or cost is, but could you bump up to an Asus ROG laptop?

http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-BSI7N24...words=asus+rog

I have this one. I get 60fps pretty solid and only drop into the 50's on large pulls like Kazzak.
    The guy says his max budget is 500 euros and you link him a 1200$ laptop lol?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    Thank you for your prompt and professional reply. Yes the RAM is upgradable but I agree that 1366x768 is pretty sucky these days. Sadly my budget is around 400-500€ not more. And the full HD is an expensive option
    Do you have any alternative to Amazon?
    Unfortunately I think Amazon is one of the best alternatives in terms of pricing. Mind you I don't know much about Italian electronic stores

While the resolution is a stinker, it's also a nicer match for the graphics chip. In your price range it may just make a bit of sense putting those two together!

10+ Year Old Account
    Resolution is fine for a not expensive laptop, I'd more concerned about the panel quality. I have a Dell here that is simply impossible to feel comfortable using because the viewing angle is seriously awful. It's impossible to use it to watch anything or play.

If you can, go see it personally at a store before buying.