Smile Spriest help available :)?

Hey all! I'm fairly newish to shadow and am looking for any and all help I can get. I ran norm HFC last night and did fairly decent on some fights, but not so much on others (Gorefiend, got rekt by something that hit for 288k). I know I don't have the expensive or even middle tier enchants/gems, but am curious if I could get any feedback on my logs? Is my priority system terrible? Should I be doing something else during specific fights? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Cahp/advanced
    Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...1kh2R/#fight=2

I unfortunately didn't grab the entire assault fight so it marked it as a 'wipe' in the logs.

If the Gorebound Construct touches you it's 1-shot, which is what it looks like you died too. I'll let someone else analyze the damage portion of the logs.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    If the Gorebound Construct touches you it's 1-shot, which is what it looks like you died too. I'll let someone else analyze the damage portion of the logs.
    Oh! Thanks for that, I was confused what the hell hit me. Was my first time in there since being back.

The biggest problem I see is your DOT up time is extremely low on almost all those fights. You should easily be able to keep 95%+uptime on ve and 100% uptime on pain so that's a huge thing that will make your dps spike.
    A more subtle thing I saw was on a lot of fights you weren't abusing twist of fate on the adds or deathing them for free orbs->free dps there.
    An even smaller thing is your cascade dps should be a bit higher on council and gorefiend and kilrog. It spikes up a bit in your priority rotation on those fights and on council and kilrog you want to make sure you cast it on dia and the orc/blood respectively to ensure it bounces the most. [its like a 5k difference on council]

This might be nit-picky but you are wearing a spirit cloak too. Don't do that. (it has a crit enchant so im assuming its your shadow set)

Quote Originally Posted by Xraychicken View Post
    The biggest problem I see is your DOT up time is extremely low on almost all those fights. You should easily be able to keep 95%+uptime on ve and 100% uptime on pain so that's a huge thing that will make your dps spike.
    A more subtle thing I saw was on a lot of fights you weren't abusing twist of fate on the adds or deathing them for free orbs->free dps there.
    An even smaller thing is your cascade dps should be a bit higher on council and gorefiend and kilrog. It spikes up a bit in your priority rotation on those fights and on council and kilrog you want to make sure you cast it on dia and the orc/blood respectively to ensure it bounces the most. [its like a 5k difference on council]

This might be nit-picky but you are wearing a spirit cloak too. Don't do that. (it has a crit enchant so im assuming its your shadow set)
    Awesome! Thanks a ton! And that's not nit-picky at all, I had the choice between the one I'm wearing now and a 640 with awful secondary stats so I chose the 670 for the int + crit it'll be replaced as soon as I can for sure!

I was trying to watch my DoTs as much as I could (grabbed SPTimers). I'm just not entirely sure when I should refresh them? I was letting them almost fall off or just fall off to avoid clipping any damage, but I could be entirely wrong here. I'm definitely REALLY bad about swapping to death adds (they die so damn fast it's hard for me to get a death off!)

Question: Is cascade the single best talent for that tier? I feel like I use it more often than not, but other places say that halo is best for ST?
    Last edited by Dogchow; 2015-07-18 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogchow View Post
    I was trying to watch my DoTs as much as I could (grabbed SPTimers). I'm just not entirely sure when I should refresh them? I was letting them almost fall off or just fall off to avoid clipping any damage, but I could be entirely wrong here. I'm definitely REALLY bad about swapping to death adds (they die so damn fast it's hard for me to get a death off!)
    Any time you have about 30% of the duration of a DoT left (Warlocks have a bigger window, I think it's 50%), it's safe to refresh without losing any damage. It will add the remaining duration to the new duration. Avoid letting them actually fall off as much as possible, and always keep a separate set of bars for your focus target on multi target fights to make sure your DoTs stay on them. When you have a bunch of targets to multi dot, you're bound to let them drop off here and there, but try to never let them fall off your focus target.

Dot clipping is no longer a thing thanks to the newly added pandemic affect for most classes! (If you refresh a dot at 30% or less duration it will add the dot instead of replace it) so try to refresh in that window when a higher priority spell isnt up.

http://summonstone.com/priest/shadow/

There is a great guide for spriesting that gets updated very quickly (missing the boss guides cause hes in mythic progression atm but he will have em up soon)
    You are only at 20% crit so you should have a ton of dead space in your single target rotation to refresh them but generally only let them fall if if MB/death is up (realistically this should never happen with the pandemic affect because you can refresh them early)
    Cascade on any fight where there are spread out adds (majority of the fights in hellfire) halo for single target/adds are all clumped (fel lord/tyrant/iskar)

Quote Originally Posted by Xraychicken View Post
    Dot clipping is no longer a thing thanks to the newly added pandemic affect for most classes! (If you refresh a dot at 30% or less duration it will add the dot instead of replace it) so try to refresh in that window when a higher priority spell isnt up.

http://summonstone.com/priest/shadow/

There is a great guide for spriesting that gets updated very quickly (missing the boss guides cause hes in mythic progression atm but he will have em up soon)
    You are only at 20% crit so you should have a ton of dead space in your single target rotation to refresh them but generally only let them fall if if MB/death is up (realistically this should never happen with the pandemic affect because you can refresh them early)
    Cascade on any fight where there are spread out adds (majority of the fights in hellfire) halo for single target/adds are all clumped (fel lord/tyrant/iskar)
    Halo is better only if you can get into that sweet spot, if not (due to raid strat or any other reason) Cascade will be better then Halo.

Thanks for all of your help everyone! I jumped into a norm Deadeye group yesterday to test my dps (and try to work in the fixes and it jumped up SIGNIFICANTLY). Watching my damn DoTs gets a little overwhelming when I'm dotting 5 people on screen, but it worked out for the most part and I was between 32 and 36k every pull (before going into dream) and around 55-60k after the dream buff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogchow View Post
    Thanks for all of your help everyone! I jumped into a norm Deadeye group yesterday to test my dps (and try to work in the fixes and it jumped up SIGNIFICANTLY). Watching my damn DoTs gets a little overwhelming when I'm dotting 5 people on screen, but it worked out for the most part and I was between 32 and 36k every pull (before going into dream) and around 55-60k after the dream buff!
    you might find platebuffs easier