Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What's your tip off that an expansion leak is a fake?

Is there any one thing, or group of things, that proves falsehood to you when mentioned in any one of the many expansion leeks? I'd share mine, but since time travel was on my previous list I doubt it's very useful now.

Everything is a leak until it is confirmed by a respectable source.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believed the Cata registration. I was right.
    I believed the Mists registration. I was right.
    I believed the WoD registration. I was right.

But, I also got fooled by the Dark Below registration. Well, fooled-ish. That technically exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seattle, the land where we have good internet.
    The account is a keyboardturner that has about 3 posts all relating to the "leak."

Peope giving way too much detail TBH

No way a blizz employee would risk his job by gabbing that much info online

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonmasher View Post
    The account is a keyboardturner that has about 3 posts all relating to the "leak."
    Well to be fair, would you trust someone like say Hrugner (sorry), who has over 3k posts, came out with one of these "leaks"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont belive any of these garbage leaks until blizz shows the real thing.

They all just sound like fanfictions anyway with storylines literally taken out of shortstories
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    It's usually fake when the "leak" contains too much details, not to mention when it reads like a wishlist from a fan. People who writes fake leaks tend to add way too much of the stuff people want to see in the next expansion.

a new class
    a new race + a new level 1 to 10 starting zone

10+ Year Old Account
    When it's posted by someone who has less than 10 posts and upon investigation shows up to be evading a ban.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Is there any one thing, or group of things, that proves falsehood to you when mentioned in any one of the many expansion leeks? I'd share mine, but since time travel was on my previous list I doubt it's very useful now.
    Don't know, but you do know when a hype train occurs when a forum site is polluted with so many of the same topics!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    When it's posted by someone who has less than 10 posts and upon investigation shows up to be evading a ban.
    Well, that explains why it repeats over and over and over and...........
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

They always fail at some point. Usually there is too much obvious fanfic in those 'leaks', and most of the time they try too hard with images that are always poorly done.

Deleted
    The fact that a poster here might have a thing leaked to before any renowned fansite has...
    I only believe things on respectable sites and from blue posts. nothing else concerning wow was ever more speculation so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt them all on principle, but there's a pattern that emerges--among the sea of fake leaks, one of a few accounts rolls by and leaks the real deal in the weeks leading to the announcement.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Fake - is always what players want xpack to be, but instead, real xpack - is always what game devs want it to be. Example: players always want something completely new and fresh, but devs want to be able to rehash as much, as they can. That's why returning to BC theme is so profitable - you can just simply reuse BC assets and this rehash is completely justified by lore, so players won't have a reason to blame you for it. So next xpack will most likely be BC rehash (WOD is just introduction to it).

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    "It'll launch on July 20!"

If there's a date, it's fake.

Unrealistic classes or races or zones is the biggest clue of fake post. There's not gonna be sea expansion or Sargeras mentioned as an endboss or playable nagas or ogres or demon hunters or dark rangers. Any time you see those mentioned it's a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    That's why returning to BC theme is so profitable - you can just simply reuse BC assets and this rehash is completely justified by lore, so players won't have a reason to blame you for it. So next xpack will most likely be BC rehash (WOD is just introduction to it).
    And which expansion was rehashing old assets? Got any proof or examples of that tinfoilhat theory?

Until it's a blue post it's fake. But really, lore, I'm a nerd, I know my lore.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    It's posted here.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

i assume every leak is fake until blizzard starts posting information on the new expansion.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.