Deleted

Your opinion to help me choose a laptop

For cheap laptop gaming, especially WoW

My questions:
    1) what's the better graphic card? GeForce 820m or GeForce 920m or AMD Radeon R5 M230? (each 2gb dedicated)
    2) what's the better CPU? I7 4510u (2 gh) or I5 5200u (2.2 gh)?
    3) is CPU an important factor for gaming? (for wow in particular)
    4) which (cheap) producer do your prefer for gaming? ASUS or HP or others?

1- Kind of a wash. None of them are good. All 3 are basic upgrades from onboard video and not meant for gaming.
    2- The i7.
    3- Depends on the game. Some rely more on cpu, some on gpu, some are balanced. Wow is generally more reliant on the cpu but without a decent gpu, your performance will be bad.
    4- It's all personal preference. I hate laptops for gaming. You get a LOT more bang for your buck in a desktop. A LOT. If I was forced to buy a gaming laptop, I would go with the 2015 Razer Blade. I don't like Razer generally and it is STUPID expensive, but it's the only laptop I can think off that has the build quality and performance that I would expect from a gaming laptop.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    1) what's the better graphic card? GeForce 820m or GeForce 920m or AMD Radeon R5 M230? (each 2gb dedicated)
    All are "mehh" GPUs and only marginally better than the integrated one. You'll want x40 or x50 series model numbers minimum for decent game performance in modern 3D games. x20 series are very basic and very slow.

i5-5200u (higher clock speed). Both of those CPUs have same basic features and same number of cores. That i5-5200 is just newer and faster.

For WoW and all MMORPGs yes. For first person shooters no. For WoW you simply want the fastest/newest Intel processor.

Lenovo (Z-series) gives best value for money below $1k in game-able laptops even though they do not make laptops specifically for gaming. They have right balance with CPU/GPU without fluff features, good build quality and often much better warranty.
    Last edited by fixx; 2015-07-18 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    4- It's all personal preference. I hate laptops for gaming. You get a LOT more bang for your buck in a desktop. A LOT. If I was forced to buy a gaming laptop, I would go with the 2015 Razer Blade. I don't like Razer generally and it is STUPID expensive, but it's the only laptop I can think off that has the build quality and performance that I would expect from a gaming laptop.
    I'm pretty happy with my MSI gaming laptop and asus have some good ones too and then there is Sager still, or even more overpriced stuff like alienware, razer would be one of the last brands I would buy hardware from given their bad rep and track record.

10+ Year Old Account
    For cheap laptop gaming, especially WoW

My questions:
    1. Choice between 920m vs M230. It's about AMD vs Nvidia at this point.
    2. They're both dual core with 4 threads but the i5 is clocked faster. Go with the i5.
    3. CPU is very important for WoW.
    5. HP is my worst choice ever. So much bad with their laptops. Same goes with Dell. As for the rest look at their design. Specifically their cooling. If the heatsink is too small or problematic I would avoid it. Cause gaming laptops get hot and heat is usually what kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Same goes with Dell. As for the rest look at their design. Specifically their cooling. If the heatsink is too small or problematic I would avoid it. Cause gaming laptops get hot and heat is usually what kills them.
    Dell has big bonus in good customer service and international warranty. Both could come handy with laptops that are used for actual traveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 - All the listed choices are trash, they give absolutely no advantage over integrated graphics besides having separate dedicated memory. What they do is making your laptop more expensive, so you basically end up paying more for effectively the same thing.

So considering the above, instead of wasting money and getting laptop with that trash - pick a decent Broadwell (I5/7-5XXX) laptop with integrated graphics only - you will have much better selection and price which you can instead invest into getting SSD or extra RAM or better screen laptop.

You might be grabbing your head and screaming now "but mah games!!!", but do realize that your GPU choices suck so much that you won't be doing good any real gaming anyway.

Also to set your expectations straight, you will get around 30FPS on low settings while questing and doing other non-intence stuff, which is okay, but forget raiding really.

Which leads us to:

2 - I7 is stronger because it's boost is good 400Mhz higher than I5 you listed, buuuuut that I5 has better integrated graphics, so I5 is better for you (because you are hopefully not stupid and not buying into "mah laptop has geforce 920 so it's gud" crap).
    3 - Yes.
    4 - I prefer those who give the best bang for your buck, which is usually Lenovo or sometimes MSI.

Asus, HP and Dell seem to think that having their brand on your laptop cover is instantly giving you and all in close proximity to you an instant hard-on, so they have no issues slapping another 20% mark-up on the final price.

By the way, do share what exact models we're taking about and whether you want a nice modern ultrabook or a 17inch monstrosity straight out of 2009... I personally suggest getting a nice nimble ultrabook, I got 11 inch one about 2 years ago and I am very happy with it - can easily carry it everywhere and it does the job well running all the work and studies stuff I want. Certainly not for gaming, but I don't really care about that when I'm not at home.

Oh and get one with SSD, like non negotiable. I got another laptop from work in addition to my 11 inch one and it has seemingly better specs, but HDD instead of SSD and it's frikkin torture sometimes.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2015-07-18 at 07:25 PM.