Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    I have always wondered, what is so great about Spartacus? It just looks like it's about boobs & sex without any serious storyline or whatsoever.
    Actually it has a great plot and was a blast to watch. And the boobs and cocks were just an added bonus. Plus it has Lucy Lawless.

Deleted
    Even though the opening poster has already seen it, I'd recommend Borgia: Faith and Fear to everyone who loves realistic and brutal renaissance shenanigans. It is much better than the mediocre The Borgias.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    Even though the opening poster has already seen it, I'd recommend Borgia: Faith and Fear to everyone who loves realistic and brutal renaissance shenanigans. It is much better than the mediocre The Borgias.
    Glad someone has seen that too! For me it's the best historical drama I have seen. Although it has some budget-related flaws, but that's forgive able as they already did so much with the budget they had.

Deleted
    I have found a new show that I am going to add to the list and I figured some of you might like this too.

Bbc's has made a show that is an 'answer' to game of thrones, it's called The Last Kingdom and based on Bernard Cornwell's the saxon chronicals. (the same guy that made the 'sharpe' series)

It is set after the story of -vikings- in the England of 872 b.c, looks awesome.
    Last edited by mmoc91d120d86f; 2015-08-04 at 10:08 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ripper street

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I always thought the Tudors was way ahead of its time, as afterwards, spawned things like Vikings and Rome! Tudors was an awesome series that doesn't get enough credit!
    HBO's Rome came out way before The Tudors, unless there's a newer modern one I'm not aware of. The two seasons of Rome were amazing though, wish they'd have been able to stick to the 5 season plan with that one.

All of the ones I'd mention have already been mentioned, I'll give special notice to Deadwood since at least in the first two seasons it was an incredible show, they started to lose sight of the big picture in s3 but there were still plenty of moments making it worth watching. Season 1 was incredibly strong.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    HBO's Rome came out way before The Tudors, unless there's a newer modern one I'm not aware of. The two seasons of Rome were amazing though, wish they'd have been able to stick to the 5 season plan with that one.

All of the ones I'd mention have already been mentioned, I'll give special notice to Deadwood since at least in the first two seasons it was an incredible show, they started to lose sight of the big picture in s3 but there were still plenty of moments making it worth watching. Season 1 was incredibly strong.
    Rome was great, sadly the second season (because it was canceled) was a letdown. So I have begun to read Colleen mccullough's books instead, does give a great rome fix.

Such a shame no good roman era series have been made ever since. There was some talk about hbo producing I, claudius with the BBC but I have heard nothing about it ever since.

Deleted
    Rome was great, sadly the second season (because it was canceled) was a letdown. So I have begun to read Colleen mccullough's books instead, does give a great rome fix.

Such a shame no good roman era series have been made ever since. There was some talk about hbo producing I, claudius with the BBC but I have heard nothing about it ever since.
    I actually think season 2 of Rome was the vastly more interesting of the seasons. Even though Ciaran Hinds's Ceasar was great, I felt the series properly took off only after he was killed. (holy shit spoilers!)

Another thing I liked about Rome is its authenticity. A year or so ago I started reading lots of history books about ancient Rome, and inspired by those I watched Rome for the second time, and it actually managed to be more interesting than the first time with the new knowledge I had. Usually it appears that the more you know about a subject of a movie/series, the more you see all the flaws, but Rome managed to avoid that nicely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    I actually think season 2 of Rome was the vastly more interesting of the seasons. Even though Ciaran Hinds's Ceasar was great, I felt the series properly took off only after he was killed. (holy shit spoilers!)

Another thing I liked about Rome is its authenticity. A year or so ago I started reading lots of history books about ancient Rome, and inspired by those I watched Rome for the second time, and it actually managed to be more interesting than the first time with the new knowledge I had. Usually it appears that the more you know about a subject of a movie/series, the more you see all the flaws, but Rome managed to avoid that nicely.
    Season 2 was too rushed for my liking, they wanted to tell that story in 3 seasons originally. That would've been much grander.

Such a shame no one attempted it again after that, would love to see a series about Gaius Marius & Sulla or the Social Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought of another one. Three Musketeers, the new one from BBC1.

Now, I feel the need to add a note... This IS a good show, but there are some pretty huge flaws, mostly in casting... and the whole first season is super average.

HOWEVER the second season is boss as fuck and well worth pushing through the terribad first season for. Even the badness of season 1 is somewhat offset by Peter Capaldi being awesome as the bad guy.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I thought of another one. Three Musketeers, the new one from BBC1.

Now, I feel the need to add a note... This IS a good show, but there are some pretty huge flaws, mostly in casting... and the whole first season is super average.

HOWEVER the second season is boss as fuck and well worth pushing through the terribad first season for. Even the badness of season 1 is somewhat offset by Peter Capaldi being awesome as the bad guy.
    What is so good about it? And it is a historical show or an authentic show? (or just random historical stuff.. but hasn't really got anythign to do with any historical thing)

10+ Year Old Account
    What is so good about it? And it is a historical show or an authentic show? (or just random historical stuff.. but hasn't really got anythign to do with any historical thing)
    It's historical fiction, based (rather loosely) on the book by Alexandre Dumas.

As for what's so good about it(talking about season 2): GREAT characters, a surprisingly intricate plot, REALLY good action and some great acting (balanced out by some REALLY shit acting).
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Spartacus was mentioned previously, but it's the one that comes to mind to me. I loved that show, the way they portrayed the Roman times was so stylistic and interesting. Would recommend it any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did not list that one, because it's not 100% a historical show even though every single historical show is compared to game of thrones. But I have watched that one
    Well, none of the shows you have listed are 100% historical...

Anyhow, may I suggest John Adams?

EDIT: I must add that I don't like today's trend in historical shows. The producers seem to believe that the addition of dirt, gore and butt fucking will make the story more "authentic". That is boulderdash.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2015-08-21 at 12:42 AM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I came to watch a TV-show on the Romans invading Britannia. I was so appalled... Roman legionaries from Italy reenacted by blonds/redheads... historic facts twisted... most daft clichés affirmed... the tv show aimed at suspense and thrill (to present viewers a nice show)... controversies amongst historians are totally neglected (as they could harm the populist narrative of the show)... and so on...

After seeing such TV-shows, which are commonly regarded as true/correct, and make the impression to be so (as if history was fully known)...
    I really despise semi-historical, "docutainment" TV-shows with scripted, infotainment scenes played by (mostly bad) actors and steered by incapable, histroy-wtf!-producer-dudes that aim for a maximum viewer-rate.

A good (scientific) book is so, so much better..
    Last edited by bestellen; 2016-01-29 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Anyhow, may I suggest John Adams?

EDIT: I must add that I don't like today's trend in historical shows. The producers seem to believe that the addition of dirt, gore and butt fucking will make the story more "authentic". That is boulderdash.
    While I liked John Adams, I think that there's a difference between Biographical and Historical.

AMC's doing a good job of showing that you can have a compelling show without pandering to sex & violence.

I'll toss in Hell on Wheels too, as (like 90% of the shows mentioned) its largely fictitious, the setting is reasonably accurate to history. I really enjoy the 'historical settings', but sadly the first ones that came to mind have already been mentioned (Marco Polo & Black Sails, yay for ones people never mention)