Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's the best way to go for Poseidus these days?

So I've always wanted Poseidus. I figured I could buy it off the AH, but it's never up on my server, and when it does finally show up it will probably be hundreds of thousands of gold, which I don't have.

That said, I'm considering camping it. But I have some difficulty figuring out the best approach.

The first option I've considered is using trial accounts. Technically it should be possible to have multiple different trial accounts running simultaneously, and have a low lvl character camped at each spawn point 24/7. The problems here are that, I don't know if it's even possible to get to Vashj'ir at such a low level. Besides that, I'd aggro everything in a wide area all the time, resulting in constant deaths and frustration. And if I could pull it off and I'd finally see him spawn, it would still take time for my high level character to actually get there, and by the time I do get there it's probably gone.

The second option is having multiple high level characters camped at each spawn. Problem here is I only have three high level characters, so I already can't cover each spawn point. Also, I'd have to log in and out between different characters all the time, which would be a pain and might make me miss my chance. And even if I had enough high lvl characters at each spawn, I'd need to have them at each spawn point all the time, preventing me from using them for anything else. But that's a moot point anyway because it would take me ages before I have levelled enough characters.

Or finally, I could camp it all day long with just my main, and swim between the spawn points occasionally. It's the easiest to do, but since I can't cover every spawn point at every moment, it's easier to miss it.

Then there's also the ease of realm hopping these days. With an addon like Cross Realm Assist, it's possible to cycle through tens of different realms in a matter of seconds. Maybe the best option is to check each spawn point, hop realm, check each spawn point again, and rinse and repeat?

Also, what's the best time to start camping for it? I know it has a ±72 hour spawn time, but I'm not sure when the server resets are happening. I play on EU, by the way.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear some helpful advice from people who have camped for this mount and have gotten it (or not).

Create a toon on a Brazilian server like gallywix and just camp it there

Dont take long to level up a dk and most people on that server wont even know that mount exists so your chances will be greatly increased

I got the mount during cata when i was farming ore and got lucky but i know with CRZ on american servers your chances is less than zero.

I play on Argent Dawn EU, and as far as I know we don't have many CRZ zones. Nonetheless it seems like a good idea, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I play on Argent Dawn EU, and as far as I know we don't have many CRZ zones. Nonetheless it seems like a good idea, thanks.
    yeah find a non CRZ server and if possible find a RP server on a foreign language server so there is less people to increase your chances and just hope to get lucky

Unless you're super lucky you're not going to be able to get it unless you make a character on one of the couple realms that isn't subject to CRZ. Someone will inevitably post in here saying that they just stumbled upon it post CRZ but your odds are pretty terrible.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Is there a list of EU realms that aren't subject to CRZ?

I have no idea, but I'm posting to keep track so I can find out.

Don't worry about me interfering though, I'm way too lazy to level anything for a few more months lol

my main account was stuck in BC for years but i still managed to get to Vashj, camp, and kill Poseidus as a level 70 so camping him with low level alts should not be impossible. you just need a 100% speed mount and some water walking to get there or a friend that can fly you over. (if you run there yourself, go to wetlands and walk alongside the mountains until you are behind Ironforge at the farthest tip of the land and water walk from there.) water breathing, water walking, and a sea turtle would be recommended for low levels but not 100% needed. Also if you use low levels make sure to snag the flight path on the little island.
    NPC scan can pick up rares even of you leave the low levels on the waters surface, where they will be far away from hostile mobs.

in general, i would say this:
    - render distance on max.
    -get npc scan, npc scan overlay and silver dragon. (remember to clear your catch before you start up the game!)
    - if you are not a hunter you may as well stock up on Tracker Snacks so you can track beasts.
    - there are a few ways to camp rares like this one. you can make a route and constantly path between them all or just choose one and camp it religiously. unless your camping on an empty server its probably best to just pick a spot and camp it. the naga ruins would probably be best strategically since if you are a hunter/shaman you can use farsight to check the two other spawn points nearest to you or you can just swim over every now and then to check.
    - camp on a low pop server. preferably one that caters to a different time zone/country than yours. I have a few alts on Aman'thul and the place can be a glorious ghost town. The hours when i am active often translate to being late at night for the Aussies.
    - play on two screens or in windowed mode so you can go do other stuff.
    -i don't know if things have changed, i got mine in cata, but back then it was a pretty dependable rule that he showed up almost exclusively on Friday/Saturday. usually late night on fri or early on sat. if he didn't then he usually rolled around by Sunday. every corpse, confirmed kill and eventually my own kill, all landed on a Saturday between the early morning and early afternoon. It was never worth it to camp during the rest of the week.
    - being able to camp when its late at night for the server has a slightly higher chance of paying off.
    - look him up on places like wowhead and do lots of research.
    - if there are other campers make them your friends and BE. NICE. TO. THEM! If you act like an asshole they will go out of their way to make your own camp harder. if they started camping a spot first try to find an uncamped spot. chat with them and exchange info. if one of them gets him they will usually contact you so you have a time stamp and don't have to waste the rest of your week waiting on the unknown.
    - use LFG/btag friends (the cross realms assist addons is nice.) look for garrison groups, server hopping groups or even the stray pvp group with auto invite on so you can pop in and check other servers.
    - don't give up. rare mounts usually take a few months to find and almost everyone who camps them have stories of seeing someone else kill the rare in front of them more than once.

also, i think you are overthinking the whole spawn point thing a little too much. these mobs were designed so that you could never cover all the bases at once is an effective manner without using multiple high level accounts. (which can really lag you out.) you need to accept that there will always be a very high chance of you missing him no matter what you do. i missed my first one by seconds because i was pathing between spawns and decided to go left instead or right once. another time i had to go afk mid path because my washing machine was acting up and i needed to go fix it. came back and he was right under me. i would have missed him if i had not had to go afk. i have all the rare spawn mounts and they all came with similar stories. there is a % of luck that goes into finding one. just remember that by the natural law of things, he will HAVE to spawn in each location eventually. you just have to have the luck and the resolve to be there when it happens.

so i would say pick a main spot to sit in, check the spots next to you every now and then and if you have some higher level alts then stick them in the spots farthest away from your main and just check in on them a few times a day if you feel like it. but if there are other campers in those spots don't even bother logging between toons.
    Last edited by SylviaDragon; 2015-07-19 at 02:54 AM.

Deleted
    The first option I've considered is using trial accounts. Technically it should be possible to have multiple different trial accounts running simultaneously, and have a low lvl character camped at each spawn point 24/7. The problems here are that, I don't know if it's even possible to get to Vashj'ir at such a low level. Besides that, I'd aggro everything in a wide area all the time, resulting in constant deaths and frustration. And if I could pull it off and I'd finally see him spawn, it would still take time for my high level character to actually get there, and by the time I do get there it's probably gone.
    I got several Poseidus (Poseidi?) this way, but it was some time ago (before CRZ and NPCscan not working on cache anymore).

Just fly your trial accounts there with a 2-seat flyer. If you don't have any... I'm not sure. Perhaps by leveling them to level 20 you could cross the fatigue area from Dun Morogh on the Water Strider mount ?
    A character below lvl 5 can also stay underwater indefinitely due to crazy health regen beating the drowning health loss, but then your character is constantly making drowning noises. NPCscan does work without the in-game sound effects, but I like having them to hear people whispering me, just to reply to them and prove I'm a human being and not a bot (some addons like I Hear You Whisper help with hearing the sound).

Aggro range isn't an issue because you can just park them on the surface (if you're worried about people seeing you, make Undead rogues for infinite breath+stealth and camp a bit below the surface), objects and mobs still appear no matter the vertical distance.

But yeah, you DO have to get there with your main. Depending on your server pop, Poseidus may or may not be dead by then. What I did to survey Vashj'ir population was adding campers to my "friend list" and using a /who "Abyssal Depths" (or Shimmering Expense) macro every now and then, with Starter Edition accounts on both factions. However, I don't think the /who thing works with CRZ now...

Also, what's the best time to start camping for it? I know it has a ±72 hour spawn time, but I'm not sure when the server resets are happening. I play on EU, by the way.
    Not sure when it happens exactly either, but it's from Wednesday 3:00 am onwards. My method involved camping from very early Saturday morning until very early Monday morning (got one around 5 am on Monday once), and then again on Tuesday up until the realm restart during the night (in case someone killed it early on Saturday - that makes a new 72 hour cycle).

Edit : added a demonstrative picture to my first line for fun
    Last edited by mmoc28280ad8ec; 2015-07-19 at 02:55 PM.

The problem with NPCScan is it doesn't pick up Cataclysm and older rares automatically anymore, only when you mouseover them. So I'd still have to continually spam /tar Poseidus macros, and I don't even know if you can target him from the surface.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BCFC34 View Post
    Create a toon on a Brazilian server like gallywix and just camp it there

Dont take long to level up a dk and most people on that server wont even know that mount exists so your chances will be greatly increased

I got the mount during cata when i was farming ore and got lucky but i know with CRZ on american servers your chances is less than zero.
    What do you mean with the bolded?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    What do you mean with the bolded?
    Generally speaking, the Brazilian servers seem to attract a lot of very new players who aren't "in the know" on a lot of stuff. And I don't mean to insult anyone by saying that - but I've seen it myself. Probably because 1) fewer players overall in low level zones, compared to the massively CRZ'ed US servers, and 2) sometimes I think the language barrier slows the spread of information. (Like, they do get pooled with US players for queued instances and such, but unless the person has some English, they usually have no idea what anyone's chatting about; you haven't lived until you've tried coordinating tanking swaps with a newbie tank who speaks no English).

It's a shame I can't access brazillian servers on EU

Deleted
    The problem with NPCScan is it doesn't pick up Cataclysm and older rares automatically anymore, only when you mouseover them. So I'd still have to continually spam /tar Poseidus macros, and I don't even know if you can target him from the surface.

This is the Abyssal Depths spawn point (yeah getting there was a little stressful, especially since there was an ore farmer doing rounds at 5 am haha), so yes, you can target everything from the surface, even on the lowest graphical settings (just look at my screenshot in the other post, my computer is kinda old and I had 5 WoWs running) just try it with any NPC under you !

But yeah that is a problem with the new NPCscan system, so the only solution now is spamming a macro. (which is exactly what is going on in the chat box here)
    Last edited by mmoc28280ad8ec; 2015-07-20 at 03:53 PM.

So do you like spam macros on one character at a time, or do you alternate between them

Deleted
    Alternating between them. But yeah this was back when NPCscan still worked with cache, so I didn't have to spam a macro (here my macro had a /tell baked in so I spammed it to notify my friends of the spawn), just used it/moved my characters every 25 minutes or so to stay online. (there are AFK addons that tell you when you are about to get dc'd so you can move your character in time)

But now I guess it's a lot more annoying and stressful since you HAVE to use the macro to notice Poseidus. Ugh.

Get the cross-realm assist addon, camp a spawn, click addon, cycle through all realms. repeat at each spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post
    Get the cross-realm assist addon, camp a spawn, click addon, cycle through all realms. repeat at each spawn.
    I tried this for one spawn point yesterday, but I'm not sure how effective that is. Eventually you run out of realms and there's a pretty big chance that he won't be up on any of the realms you try at that specific point in time.

Or just get Silverdragon instead of NPCscan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharum View Post
    Or just get Silverdragon instead of NPCscan.
    Pretty sure SilverDragon also only works for rares in MoP and later. It talks about skull icons on the minimap, that wasn't implemented until MoP.