Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I think the thing is, at some point in time, almost everyone had an ancestor that was a slave if you look far back enough. Furthermore, other races have experienced discrimination. Japanese for example, were our enemies in world war 2 and many that lived in America were forced to live in "camps" that were more like prisons. When you think of a japanese person moving into your community now though, who really holds reservations against them? They are usually considered smart, good neighbors, and honest citizens.

Ditto with jews, nearly 1/3 of their race was wiped out in World War 2, but jews now are often considered smart, rich, etc.

Unless you are implying that slavery somehow made blacks genetically weaker then other races (which I'd still disagree with), I don't think the argument of oppression really holds much merit.
    My people were slaughtered and enslaved by the Romans. I demand justice.

On a more serious note, it's because the dogma of racial divide has been kept alive well after legal equality to the point where it can be used as an excuse for failings. The Japanese, after WWII, basically fully integrated into American society. The dogma of racial divide was not pursued. Such has not happened with African Americans.
    Last edited by Underverse; 2015-07-20 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Mine were by Greece, I'm just shit out of luck

I'm half Irish and we were slaves right along with the blacks.

To be fair, what you're saying is damn ignorant to. "We white people in power" is a bullshit statement. No one on here is a hedge fund manager. Most people here are probably in the middle class. Most of us in this thread don't have much power at all. Don't act like it's a racial groupthink.
    we white people in power is a bullshit statement?

We're talking about government, finance, banking no? Aren't those things all very white dominated?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Totally not what was said, funny to hear how you interpret it though.
    You're saying there are so many benefits given to minorities that they should essentially be even by now, as if 30 odd years is enough time.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The house that was never on fire doesn't have a problem.
    Lol..........just lol
    You know white people face issues black people do.

"White people" are not some blob or hive mind. Where if a white dude has some police shit happens its all like "welllll, hell get over it cause 5 white people he could care less about didn't have shit happen to them."

- - - Updated - - -

Because there are no times to count.
    how would you know.
    If you didn't get hired cause they didn't like your accent they arnt exactly gonna tell you that.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

I'm half Irish and we were slaves right along with the blacks.
    There were also many Irish slave owners, not to mention the fact much of it was indentured servitude. In some states Irish people were forced to serve a set number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    we white people in power is a bullshit statement?

We're talking about government, finance, banking no? Aren't those things all very white dominated?

- - - Updated - - -

You're saying there are so many benefits given to minorities that they should essentially be even by now, as if 30 odd years is enough time.
    I didn't say that, I said they have more benefits given to them then white people. They just choose to ignore them.

Deleted
    The house example is wrong.

Lacking accountabillity and transparency is a problem same for police brutallity and it hits all people only black people disrproportional (commiting a disproportional ammount of violent crime too).

Both houses are on fire one is just bigger.
    The analogy fails and is in essence sick as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There were also many Irish slave owners
    There were many black slave owners, one of the first American slave owners was black.

Deleted
    There were many black slave owners, one of the first American slave owners was black.
    The irony of complaining about the deflection attempt.
    "There were also many Irish slave owners"
    This is themius #whitelifesmatter 1:1 reflected everything that is wrong with it.

God it must be so hard to lack so much in selfreflection.

I don't have an accent.
    You don't need one, you may have an Irish last name or look of Irish decent.

I don't have an accent. That's the point. There's nothing to distinguish me as having a fully Irish grandmother for people to discriminate against. The entire "Oh but Irish people were slaves too!" thing is yet again missing the point.
    You know just because your white life is all peachy and great doesn't mean everyone's is. Glad you are doing well but to shrug off the possibility of issues, or lack their of from a single persons experience is kinda naive and short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
    How does "all lives matter" detract from black people?
    Because the statement isn't being made in a vacuum, it's being injected into a discussion about the seemingly rampant disregard for black lives by the police, and the rationalization of it by people indifferent to anything they don't personally encounter. It also implies that someone is making the opposite case; that all lives (or white, depending on which variation of the meme is being used) don't matter. No one is saying that, the fact that all lives should matter is so axiomatic that you're effectively saying nothing.

The comic about the house on fire is a really good example of this, although people seem intent on deliberately misunderstanding it through pedantry and semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
    It's dumb really, if you have to be told that lives matter you aren't worth speaking to. If you want equality it starts with what you say and do. "black lives matter" implies WHICH race matters, which is inherently racist. Just replacing "black" with "white" proves this to anyone looking at it objectively. If it's not "all lives matter" then it's racist by definition. That's where the issue is to me at least. And of course i don't mean you personal. You, as in generally speaking.
    I'm sorry but implying that this is the result of black people just not integrating properly or being too obsessed with race is ridiculous. They're not perpetrating the injustice, they have no responsibility for it, they're the victims. I'm sure black people would love to not have to worry about and consider race, but they don't have that luxury, they have to be vigilant. We are not living in a post-racial society. When we are and the playing field is level, then we can take offence when one group of people is being held up as superior but while one group is lagging behind and attempting to catch up (note: not bring down the rest) "all lives/white lives matter" is detracting from the very real problems that black people face currently.

I didn't say that, I said they have more benefits given to them then white people. They just choose to ignore them.
    More benefits? If you call starting from a steep disadvantage and having some equalizing measures in place "more benefits than whites" well... that's just funny.

I'm afraid if I facepalm in response to this comment that the sheer force will cause my hand to go straight through my skull.
    Because there is obviously no brain there to slow it down.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-07-20 at 01:26 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the point.
    Point being, I have neither been blatantly discriminated against...........dsnt mean I haven't.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Let's look at 1830... 13.7 percent of blacks (319k) were free, 3776 of them owned slaves, 12907 slaves out of the total 2 million population of slaves in the USA

Black slave owners were few and very very far between.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the thread has mostly devolved (again) into debating whether or not racism exists, I'm going to lock it here as unconstructive.