Thread: GW2 Playerbase

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question GW2 Playerbase

It's been 2 years since I started playing GW2, I still log in it every now and then and find enjoyable things to do but I feel that the game is becoming less populated than before even with the the megaserver thing

I wonder how much players still play GW2 now, is it because players are bored of playing the game or just because they are making world transfer to better WvW realms
    I play in Desolation (EU) btw

Deleted
    Gandara is still popular, havent noticed a decline.

I logged onto GW2 the other day just to see how the new Lion's Arch looked. I hadn't been on GW2 for a LONG time. I was on Tarnished Coast. The place was absolutely dead. Like no one was talking, playing, or doing anything....even in some of the more popular PvE areas (or at least the ones that had people in them the last time I played). Even the big PvE boss battles that give out decent rewards were majorly lacking in players compared to before when I still played.

So I'm not sure what the hell people mean when they say GW2 is still active and going strong. The game is basically dead compared to what it was when I was still actively playing. WvW seems to be the only thing with any decent activity levels any more.

Jade Quarry is always full of players, I haven't really noticed a decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Took these 2 days ago, literally players everywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/aVdZGy6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KXXrwUd.jpg

Still the busiest MMO I've ever played. Dungeon groups form instantly, buy and sell stacks and stacks of anything within minutes if not instantly, etc. The longest wait is for WvW queues but EotM (a WvW overflow map of sorts) took a bunch of pressure off that.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-07-20 at 01:39 AM. Reason: resize images or use thumbnails.
    Valar morghulis

Logged onto Tarnished Coast to get my daily chest and took a walk around, and there were twenty people or so in Lion's Arch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in EU on Kodasch, DR and Lions Arch are full of people. I see plenty of people everywhere in the world.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Overflows still exist people....
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Desolation player here. And I, on the other hand, always find myself positively surprised with the amount of players I see randomly running around or just idling on cities. So I can't say I'm experiencing the same issues as the OP.

Might have been some shitty overflow instance or something.

seems pretty busy whenever I play

On Piken Square and it's pretty packed here.

Deleted
    taken just now in DR, desolation

http://i.imgur.com/RNgkCtSh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GdM0NnSh.jpg

this is actually fairly low compared to what i've seen the past couple of days, but it's not really 'peak hours' yet i think
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-07-21 at 04:55 AM. Reason: resize or use thumbnail images.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where you're gauging populations considering the design of GW2 actually serves to get people out of concentrated areas and out in the world. Looking at people standing around in a city is pretty silly considering there's little reason to be there other than a regrouping and crafting center.

Join a world boss train and see what you think. There are so many people on my screen I almost can't see anything. I had to turn rendered characters down to the lowest setting not b/c of lag, but simply to see the world and boss we're all killing. GW2 feels just as populated as it has for a long time now.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    They introduced some kind of megaserver system a few patches ago, so which server you're on doesn't mattter anymore. The game is well populated.
    Yea, at this point the only thing server really matters for is WvW. How many people there are at any given point on any given maps varies greatly and we never know how many copies there are. Plus overflows aren't marked as overflows either. So yea there isn't really a good way to get a feel for how many people are online at any given time.

Personally I go by the fact I never have to wait very long when I use the LFG tool, but that's also highly circumstantial.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, "out in the world" yes, but in terms of "concentrated areas" it's the exact opposite, it seems to try fairly hard to usher everyone to one spot at a time.
    Not entirely. Beyond the boss train, there is value to being in any zone at any time *almost* regardless of level. While Living story and bosses serve as higher motivators for concentration, that isn't the only value there is. As compared to a design where you stand around in a capital city because the entire game revolves around queues or you are constantly inside of your garrison because it's all there is.

That's not to take potshots at WoW, simply providing the alternate end of the spectrum.
    BAD WOLF

To be honest, I dislike the megaserver system. Instead of shutting down some servers and offering free transfers to others, Anet simply tore the server communities apart, further obscuring the sense of "community" in the game.

I loved to always meet the same people in my FGS farmruns and it's not like my server had a low population.
    Since map placement is supposed to be prioritized by several factors (party, friends list, guild, server), in theory you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I don't feel like that's the case, but I also haven't played much since they implemented the megaserver system. I've been thinking about getting back into the game though.
    Wait....you haven't played much since they implemented the megaserver system (a year and a half ago), and yet feel like the system destroyed communities? Have you ever thought that, due to your absence, you don't notice the community?

I don't feel like that's the case, but I also haven't played much since they implemented the megaserver system. I've been thinking about getting back into the game though.
    It was rather problematic at first but now the system works really well and for the most part it does a good job of keeping you on maps with your party members, guildmates, and people who are tied to your server.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started GW2 and I see players everywhere. Its a nice change from my lonely garrison in wow.

I played like... 100-200h since they implemented it. I don't really remember, but it's been a while since they did.
    There were some issues early on, but they were fixed fairly quickly.