Page 1 of 51
... LastLast

Legacy Servers - Nows the time

Legacy Servers - Nows the time

Surely now its the time for blizz to introduce legacy servers and capitalize on all that nostalgia the playerbase wants and some of the player base would like to experience.

I was very cynical about legacy servers IE servers that would be Vanilla WoW, BC WoW etc but i recently rerolled on a new server and nearly every guild is a twink guild that only wants to do 60 raids, 70 raids etc and i was thinking the playerbase has been wanting this for years and it wouldn't cost blizz much money im sure of it and it would bring back all the, Rose tinted nostalgia and those who just want a walk down memory lane.

The thing about wow unlike any other game is i cant experience it the way i used to for example if i put in sonic the hedgehog i cant play it like i did in the early 90s cause the game has changed so much.

Nostalgia is a huge, HUGE cash cow just waiting to milked and blizz is missing out.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2015-07-24 at 04:20 AM.

Deleted
    Do want.

Probably won't happen because Blizzard is filled with pride of their current work and will see it as a sign of failure if they go back to something old, despite how absolutely bad the recent expansions has been.

Nope. It's way too much work to implement in the current client. Imagine what a pain it would be to have multiple version of the game in the same client. It would be easier to just have a legacy client, but I don't think they would want to do that.

Deleted
    The only reason I would roll on a 'legacy' server is to just do the questing experience again. But I'd probably get annoyed by the small inventory size, small quest log and lack of mount (Not to forget the means (Gold) to obtain them). I remember during AQ40 times I still didn't have my epic mount, main tanking was hard on your cash back then.

Do level 60 raids? Fuck that. Raids nowadays are a lot more fun, only downside is the 3-4 difficulties.

Deleted
    If they take their time to release the next expansion, Blizzard can entertain the current player-base through the drought with a staged release legacy server.

Imagine Hellfire Citadel is 4-6months through it's lifespan and the next expansions release is set for a further 6 or 8 months from then. A staged legacy server, where content is unlocked every couple of weeks or months would work wonders to keep players entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what happens to the people who have no interest in walking backwards? We get 6.2 and 5.3 again?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Blizz has already given us legacy content with this timewalker bullshit so why not go the whole hog.

Bottom line is this could be a great way for players to do something while not raiding and it wouldnt cost them much.

A question i ask myself is would i do it? I would definitely do the quests again but i wont do the raiding but thats me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    So what happens to the people who have no interest in walking backwards? We get 6.2 and 5.3 again?
    1 server is vanilla and another server would be BC and would be locked with just that content.

Maybe patches could be circular or they would just have the full content i dont know.

Only reason I'd like to test a vanilla or tbc server is to see if it actually was harder back then or we all just sucked more and nooby at the game. I remember we spent 3 weeks of raiding (3-4 raid/week for 4-5hrs a piece) to get Razorgore (first boss BWL) down for example... I really think that a decent guild would get him down way faster now and not the insane guildbreaker/c**kblock he appeared to be in the past.

Oh and I'd also would love to be able to finish Naxx40 in a proper way, we just started it when TBC came and immediately moved on...

10+ Year Old Account
    There is one thing people who suggest classic server always forget. Okay, so, one of the arguments (not here, but in general) is that there are so many people playing on private servers that Blizzard just HAS to see the potential. Now, how many of those people would actually pay money to play the game? Also, how many new realms would you open up? One PvE Server? One PvP Server? So two in total? You do know that if Blizzard would only open up one or two server, most likely an english one, that the backlash from all other language regions would be gigantic. So Blizzard would need to open at least one Server per language and region. Which would come to, what, 10+? Or 20+ if it's PvE and PvP. And exactly how many people do you expect? "Oh, there is this one classic server with 6k-10k people online!" Yeah, well, those come from all over the world. Now change it to only include people from their respective region. What would you get? Maybe 500-1000 people at max per language? And you really think this is a good idea? You would create a dead server from the get go.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never the time. "Legacy" or "Old School" or "Vanilla" servers just make things worse... look at any gane they've been introduced to.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    yeah after the rage and cry's of molten core 40 man anniversary i say no, its not fun, you just enjoyed it because its "new" "fresh" but if they brought it now, few people will play, then they will disappear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1hXGXJ7Tg

how is that fun? seriously? stop the nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    There is one thing people who suggest classic server always forget. Okay, so, one of the arguments (not here, but in general) is that there are so many people playing on private servers that Blizzard just HAS to see the potential. Now, how many of those people would actually pay money to play the game? Also, how many new realms would you open up? One PvE Server? One PvP Server? So two in total? You do know that if Blizzard would only open up one or two server, most likely an english one, that the backlash from all other language regions would be gigantic. So Blizzard would need to open at least one Server per language and region. Which would come to, what, 10+? Or 20+ if it's PvE and PvP. And exactly how many people do you expect? "Oh, there is this one classic server with 6k-10k people online!" Yeah, well, those come from all over the world. Now change it to only include people from their respective region. What would you get? Maybe 500-1000 people at max per language? And you really think this is a good idea? You would create a dead server from the get go.
    We already have a ton of dead servers.

People already pay to play this game and legacy server is no different from rolling onto another server. It just would be another form of content. Ok maybe it would die a death but from what i have seen there is a huge appetite for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    They can't just add servers, they either have to make legacy WoW client or add legacy support to the current client. The game went trough so many changes over the year that adding legacy support into the client would be a massive time investment. It seams like way too much work.

Deleted
    tbh there's plenty of private servers if you wanna play an older better version of the game

they're sometimes a little buggy but most of the content works just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    yeah after the rage and cry's of molten core 40 man anniversary i say no, its not fun, you just enjoyed it because its "new" "fresh" but if they brought it now, few people will play, then they will disappear.

I would agree but like i said the amount of guilds that only do level 60 raids tells me there is a demand for it.

How many do you think will stay once the nostalgia settles and everyone realise how truely awful it was back then without all the things we are used to, today?

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    tbh there's plenty of private servers if you wanna play an older better version of the game

they're sometimes a little buggy but most of the content works just fine
    Thats like saying why not just watch a bootleg version of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BCFC34 View Post
    [...]it wouldn't cost blizz much money im sure of it p[...]
    I don´t think this is actually true. I´ve read a blue post once (you can take my word on it or search on your own) in regards to this very topic in which is was stated that they didn´t keep any of the old patches for that very purpose, they rewrote alot of the code so "classic" would have to be reinvented anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Nope. It's way too much work to implement in the current client. Imagine what a pain it would be to have multiple version of the game in the same client. It would be easier to just have a legacy client, but I don't think they would want to do that.
    Pretty sure you are wrong.
    They have all builds ever released and source codes. They just have to compile it and viola.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post

I fail to see any difference with the raids from today?... I actually got lots of nice WoW-feelings from watching that kill.. and did u even see the chat exploding in HAPPINESS,,, nowadays after a first kill it's "meh that was decent.. ok, loot and move on.. gogogo!"