Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

How do you approach people out of your social circle?

TL;DR:
    • I have no real experience with meeting people out of my social circle (especially at their work)
    • Would like advice on how to approach the situation
    • Would also like to hear stories about your experience (if any) with this situation.
    This particular situation relates to a potential date/romance thing.

Hey, so I post on Gen- OT a lot and it's been a great source of insight on some current events going on in my life.

I go to the gym regularly and always say hello to one of the receptionists, she is very pretty and I tell my trainer and a few people at work about her every now and then. I don't bring her up often but I have mentioned that I think she is pretty and despite knowing nothing about her, she does seem to carry herself well and looks like she could be a lot of fun to get to know.

Outside of my trainer I have no real connection with this girl, and being a customer service job her smiling and being friendly is likely due to her workplace. That being said one of the girls at my work has mentioned that I should leave my number with her since I talk about her every now and then and I'm not usually like this with other people.

I was just curious if any of you had any experience with getting to know someone outside of your friend circle and if so how did you go about introducing yourself? Thanks in advance.

My biggest fear is obviously rejection. I'm not trying to score with this girl or date her immediately but I would like to get to know her better and see if the potential for a relationship is there.

My next biggest fear is the fact that she works at the gym that I visit every day. If I were to get rejected from her I don't want every visit to be super awkward when I check in/out. But that's just me being nervous I think.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Easy, I don't believe in social circles, everyone is equal, socially speaking. So there's no (artificial) problem of approaching anyone.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Social circles is a high school construct. If you aren't in high school anymore you need to drop that idea.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I approach them smacked-up and cracked-up with my tongue on my chin and my boys in hand, swinging from the rafters like a real RocknRolla.

Has not failed me yet.

jk

Just say "hi" and go from there.
    You cared enough to post.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Social circles is a high school construct. If you aren't in high school anymore you need to drop that idea.
    Ahh if only this was true!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They exist at work, school, and internet forums.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Semaphore or Morse Code.

Alternatively, just talk to them. Engage in idle chitchat and see if they seem interested in talking to you or just being polite.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cure to fear of rejection is getting rejected.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Roll on the floor towards her, then when you end up at her feet, stare her right in the eyes and say "Sit on my face".

Works every time.

Honestly, I don't. The only people I get to know are people who approach me. Try finding out when she gets off perhaps and ask if she wants to stop for a quick drink (coffee or tea?)? I dunno.

Or maybe try working out with her? I'm bad at this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It definitely is not.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    It definitely is not.
    Well, technically, if you keep getting rejected, eventually you'll either get to the point of "What do I have to lose" or "I'm too afraid to get rejected anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well, technically, if you keep getting rejected, eventually you'll either get to the point of "What do I have to lose" or "I'm too afraid to get rejected anymore".
    Or the "i must be so fugly I should just end it now."
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Roll on the floor towards her, then when you end up at her feet, stare her right in the eyes and say "Sit on my face".

Works every time.

Honestly, I don't. The only people I get to know are people who approach me. Try finding out when she gets off perhaps and ask if she wants to stop for a quick drink (coffee or tea?)? I dunno.

Or maybe try working out with her? I'm bad at this stuff.
    I can vouch for this method working 150% of the time. Hasn't failed me once. Ever.

Okay, okay, jokes aside, my advice, don't try, let it happen, talk to someone, don't think "I have to talk to this person for reasons.", rather think "they seem like a decent person, I'll try getting to know them. If they show no interest, then that's cool."
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

When I speak to new people I speak like I've known them for years, I need like 10 secs and I'm comfortable infront of anyone.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just do the normal "hello", maybe a brief chat about how ball-sweat-inducingly hot it is outside, maybe a mild, witty remark. Maybe one of you will start talking about something that you both enjoy. I stopped trying to make new friends and just let them organically grow on me as I saw them more. I definitely have made more friends without trying. People will talk to who they want to, and if you talk about something interesting to them, they might want to talk more. If they talk about something interesting to you, you might want to talk more. Next thing you know... *oops*, you have a new friend.

7+ Year Old Account
    Most people at the office gave the same advice in that I was over thinking this too.

I've always thought if it didn't happen naturally it felt forced. And since I am the one that will start the conversation then it might just be that.
    I'll just wing it and hope for the best. It's hard to get the first topic started but after that conversations usually just flow with me.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

When I meet new people I usually start by walking up to them, beating my chest several times and urinating on them and/or something that belongs to them in order to assert dominance.

As for this woman, you should follow her, get to know her habits, what she likes and where her family lives so you can get an understanding of what she's like outside of the workplace. It worked for me when courting my third wife.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any social circle, and I prefer not to socialize with the same people for too long, it bores me and creates attachments that are more like hindrances and annoyances. So, I don't know, I just walk up to someone, say, "Hey, how's it goin'?", and then it just goes on. Trying to prepare a "perfect approach" never works, just walk up to that girl and say "Hi". No one will reject you for saying "Hi".

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Not necessarily. It is more of a "it either breaks me or makes me" kind of thing. Some people get rejected so often, it breaks them from inside, and they become social corpses. Others grow immunity to rejection and stop fearing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

just try talking to her for a bit, ask her about normal things like the weather or what does she think of any current events (major things) or things that happened in your town/area. get her perspective on something like that. see if you agree or disagree with her and whether she seems genuinely interested in your conversations. (who knows she might be too dumb for you). if you get to know her better and still like her, when you feel more comfortable with her try asking when she gets off work and if she wants to grab a cup of coffee or something like that.

if not just try following Glorious Warrior's advice and spy on her, but dont get caught lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assert your dominance by being loud and authoritative. Then tell her she's pretty and ask her how her day is.