Thread: Too hot to work

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    This is all I found... its a general guideline...

Edit 2: It looks like they only mention heat or cold if an employee is at risk of death from heat.. and no, I don't think thats like with the weather in Belgium...
    I said guidelines, yeah, not laws or rules.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    We hung a thermometer once in our open wood grill section of the restaurant once during July and we had it around 110. I think it was higher but I'm going to low ball it.
    Did you see my post earlier in the thread about my probe thermometer going off while sitting on my cutting board? It was set for 120F.

Let's see... I was a pizza cook at a traditional Italian place. I think my IR thermometer registered 1500F on the top of the wood oven. I was standing in front of that thing all day.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Still the absolute best restaurant I've ever worked for. When it closed was when I lost my love for it.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I said guidelines, yeah, not laws or rules.
    I think it'd be tough to have any solid rules anyway.. ya know. Like with what you've posted.. how can you, as the owner, reasonably fight against that heat all the time? Its just not reasonable, and thats why I think the OP is whining too much.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Still the absolute best restaurant I've ever worked for. When it closed was when I lost my love for it.
    I loved that job too. Stepped out to take a sous chef job at a high end steakhouse, then left there to start my own gig. I wouldn't change history, but I'd certainly go back and make some more pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I think it'd be tough to have any solid rules anyway.. ya know. Like with what you've posted.. how can you, as the owner, reasonably fight against that heat all the time? Its just not reasonable, and thats why I think the OP is whining too much.
    Can't. And I can't protect against sharp objects. Or hot pans. Or scalding hot water. Or 375F frying oil. Or someone spilling grease and not mopping up properly.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably write up a waiver form. "YOU ARE ACCEPTING A JOB THAT REQUIRES WORK IN AN INHERENTLY DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT." Etc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thought you were dealing with my problem: Being too sexually attractive to work.

False alarm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you work for a piece of shit manager and/or company that doesn't care about his/her/their employees. This is a weird thread because you really have three options and you've already specifically asked not to hear one of them, so I'll give you two:

1. Stay at the job and deal with the ridiculous work conditions.
    2. Stay at the job and bitch and moan, file complaints, contact management/ownership and be a huge pain in the ass.