Poll: Should the UK remain in the EU?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should the UK remain in the European Union

The British government is going to hold a referendum on:

“Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union?”

How would you vote, if you could? Yes, for the UK to remain in the EU. No, to leave.

The British government is trying to renegotiate the terms of the UKs membership. We don't know the outcome of those negotiations yet, so just assume whatever outcome you think most likely.

Only British voters will be able to vote, but I am curious to hear the views of others - both non-British EU citizens and non-EU citizens.

I'm curious to see people's opinions, so I probably should not risk biasing the poll by putting my opinion in the first post.

Deleted
    Smart or populistic decision?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Smart or populistic decision?
    Your personal opinion - presumably, be smart. I can see politicians wanting to be populist, individual voters don't need to be, do they?

10+ Year Old Account
    The UK would have to be extraordinarily silly to leave the EU - they already have an extremely favorable deal vis a vis the rebates while having access to the common market and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

1. we'd need to renegotiate all trade agreements which would be disastrous for the economy
    2. we'd have a much weaker negotiation position which would be disastrous for the economy
    3. half of the City of London would up sticks and move to Frankfurt, which would be disastrous for the economy

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not sure yet.

On one hand I don't want cameron to get more control by leaving the EU and its regulations.

On the other hand some of these regulations would be nice to shake off for when we get a decent prime minister (Like that'll ever happen considering how dumb the british public generally is).

I guess I'll wait to find out more before I decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, we should.

I don't want to get deported.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    1. we'd need to renegotiate all trade agreements which would be disastrous for the economy
    2. we'd have a much weaker negotiation position which would be disastrous for the economy
    3. half of the City of London would up sticks and move to Frankfurt, which would be disastrous for the economy
    4. Many of the overseas companies that wanted a place IN the EU and settled in the UK would move.
    5. UK would lose out on logistic and ware transport from the Americas.

Would do wonders for traffic on the M25 though.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    On the other hand some of these regulations
    Like what, specifically?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The UK would have to be extraordinarily silly to leave the EU - they already have an extremely favorable deal vis a vis the rebates while having access to the common market and the like.
    nope Tony Blair gave up the Rebate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie71 View Post
    Good!

Still lots of other reasons to remain.

London is set to become the financial core of the entire Eu in the same way NY is for the USA, it won't happen tomorrow but it's not much to wait until all the stock market in europe become unified.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    We still have the rebate.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much.

The reason people want to leave the EU as one of the main reasons it so the uk has complete control of immigration. Its true we have an immigration problem here, but that pales in comparison to what we'd go though if we broke from the union. I'm not a fan of EU and its policies, but I don't want to see even tougher times brought on by dumbass decisions and more problems being created then ones solves.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    We have the rebate still, but even including that were the 2nd highest net contributed (behind Germany)

Our net contribution to EU budget is £4b per annum, quite frankly it's a teeny tiny sum compared to the economic benefits we receive. Yes being in the EU hurts certain trade alliances we could benefit more from if we were outside but I highly doubt they'd add up to the immediate value we'd lose from leaving. I don't like the final Supreme Court being EU based instead of UK based, but it looks likely were going to be able to opt out of this.

Personally - UK citizen, vote to remain in. There's nothing wrong with the status quo, particularly if we can repatriate judicial powers (which looks highly likely). We've got a permanent veto for any future treaty change so the scaremongering of being "forced" to enter a federal Europe has very little grounding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post

On the other hand some of these regulations would be nice to shake off for when we get a decent prime minister (Like that'll ever happen considering how dumb the british public generally is).
    what regulations would those be. please be specific, where possible include proper legislative refernces

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post

Personally - UK citizen, vote to remain in. There's nothing wrong with the status quo, particularly if we can repatriate judicial powers (which looks highly likely). We've got a permanent veto for any future treaty change so the scaremongering of being "forced" to enter a federal Europe has very little grounding.
    echr is nothing to do with our eu membership btw, and i think leaving the echr would be a disaster considering its the only thing protecting many rights i hold sacred

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    what regulations would those be. please be specific, where possible include proper legislative refernces

- - - Updated - - -

echr is nothing to do with our eu membership btw, and i think leaving the echr would be a disaster considering its the only thing protecting many rights i hold sacred
    Repatriating the Supreme Court doesn't have to have anything to do with EHRC, we can still be members of the convention while having the UK Supreme Court as our "final" court. It just means a non-UK court cannot overrule the decision of the UK Supreme Court.

I doubt (if the conservatives have any sense) they'll go through with the replacement of ECHR with British Bill of Human Rights, no matter how they spin it I can't see it coming off positively to the electorate and it just gives too much "evil Tory" ammo to the other parties come elections.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2015-07-20 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    4. Many of the overseas companies that wanted a place IN the EU and settled in the UK would move.
    5. UK would lose out on logistic and ware transport from the Americas.
    6. They would lose their seat at the table of the TTIP talks.
    7. They would probably end up having to join the EFTA and end up paying more to do trade in the EU.

Might not be Frankfurt, if we decide to leave Scotland will be gone and attempt to rejoin, they could just move to Edinburgh :P