Poll: Should the UK remain in the EU?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Not sure yet.

On one hand I don't want cameron to get more control by leaving the EU and its regulations.

On the other hand some of these regulations would be nice to shake off for when we get a decent prime minister (Like that'll ever happen considering how dumb the british public generally is).

I guess I'll wait to find out more before I decide.
    If they exit EU, they won't have to follow regulations, but here's the hitch - EU would only trade with them if they do. So they will have freedom to dump the regulations and what? Seek a new market? Like what, China? US? Eh, I'm not sure it's a great idea.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's no question in my mind that the EU needs a certain degree of reform.

It requires more transparency, more accountability, more democracy, better anti corruption systems...

It needs to get rid of ego mechanics such as thd yearly move between cities.

And yes....arguably it needs a better balance between the rights and obligations and duties of the individual, the state and the EU.

But overall....the EU is a good thing and the UK would be stupid to leave. That would leave it outside the EU but with a requirement to still follow EU laws to trade there. Worse, it would likely lead to the break up of the UK as such a vote would likely be rejected by Wales, NI amd especially Scotland.

EJL

British citizens Do you think the results of a referendum would make any difference anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    British citizens Do you think the results of a referendum would make any difference anyway?
    Depends which way it goes and the circumstances surrounding it. A narrow No majority in England with Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland returning Yes votes will be chaotic. Any kind of Yes majority will get the ukip nutters up in arms, but hopefully by that point, after a long campaign, there will be a wealth of readily available information and plans for achieving reform within the EU that will leave only the really hateful xenophobes upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Depends which way it goes and the circumstances surrounding it. A narrow No majority in England with Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland returning Yes votes will be chaotic. Any kind of Yes majority will get the ukip nutters up in arms, but hopefully by that point, after a long campaign, there will be a wealth of readily available information and plans for achieving reform within the EU that will leave only the really hateful xenophobes upset.
    Scotland won't vote to leave the EU.

As for the majority, they can simply say "qualified majority" (i.e. 67% or higher) is required to make a "yes, we're out" decision legitimate. That would nail the coffin on the possibility of leaving shut before anybody voted.

Deleted
    Better reform the EU instead is what I would say.

Yes, UK should remain in EU. Leaving it would only cause more problems for both sides.

Deleted
    On the one hand its a stale neoliberal breeding ground with Germany at the center haunted by a democratic deficit.

On the other I enjoy the freedom of movement, its a cash cow and brings in decent regulations.

Tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

As for the majority, they can simply say "qualified majority" (i.e. 67% or higher) is required to make a "yes, we're out" decision legitimate. That would nail the coffin on the possibility of leaving shut before anybody voted.
    Oh I know, the problem only really arises if other constituent parts of the UK vote No when Scotland votes Yes, although I can't see Northern Ireland or Wales voting No considering the aid they receive from the EU. Another poll came out recently showing a solid 60% in Scotland in favour of staying in the EU, after a few polls had suggested that it was tighter than that. So no worries there, my only concern is the how badly the campaign might be run if Better Together is anything to go by.

Pretty sure the question is going to be Yes to stay, No to leave as the experiences from the Scottish Referendum showed that it's easier to run a positive campaign on a Yes ticket. Not sure what kind of stipulations they'll make wrt a majority or even voter turnout (precedent being the devolution referendum in the 70s)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

Also, ban everyone over like 75 from voting in that referendum since it isn't their future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I wish they would leave, they want it both ways and that isn't fair to everyone else.
    no we dont.

Every poll ever taken shows the majority of the British people want to stay in the UK.

Please don't pay too much attention to FailFarage and his band of UKIP xenophobes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    There's no question in my mind that the EU needs a certain degree of reform.

It requires more transparency, more accountability, more democracy, better anti corruption systems...
    You say this like Westminster was a paragon of virtue. Duck moat any one?

Deleted
    I will most likely vote to stay within the EU, however, there are parts of the whole EU mega train that annoy me - like the fact it has never had an audit, it really needs to be more transparent and clear as to what it is doing and why it benefits the people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Nope, cos we're gonna be a police state either way.

Deleted
    No, if anything we need to get more involved, stop electing fools like UKIP to the MEP, and elect people who will actually look out for and promote Britains interest instead of making us look like retards to the rest of Europe. Instead of trying to change the things we want to change by threatening to leave, we should get in, get on an equal footing with Germany and France, and then start changing things for the better.

Deleted
    We've all seen what happened with Greece. A Brexit will plunge the continent into recession again.
    We're just too interconnected at this point to pick up our toys and just leave, there will be massive consequences.

Deleted
    Brit, here. I think we should stay in the EU but carry on not using the Euro. I like the free movement of peoples throughout the Union. I'd prefer if Britain weren't an opt-out from the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union too (though I think the UK is obliged to follow a lot of it), as I find our lack of a modern written constitution clearly laying out the rights of citizens to be distressing, especially if the Human Rights Act 1998 gets changed or dropped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a non-british member of the EU, I think they should stay within the union. Mostly due to the fact that I don't believe they can pay their debt without causing more trouble for their own, as well, cba having to get some more paperwork just to visit my girlfriend's family.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Also, ban everyone over like 75 from voting in that referendum since it isn't their future.
    Or let them, since they have a deeper understanding of how it was before joining.

I think the UK will be better off if the remain in the EU and even better if they took part a bit more. The populistic contrarines their politicans and papers often like to foster is not helping anyone but their rivals outside the EU. Yes, there are always points they won't agree absolutely with but compromises always require that both sides are ready to move a bit.