Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I write "see ID" on mine....... and they still rarely check! /facepalm
    Same. And my signature is also damn hard to write on that small strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Apparently that's not even a good idea anymore or something, since they can just sign it then, and something about you're only suppose to actually sign it.
    I write it in large letters in black marker. Can't really sign over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    In Europe everyone has to show ID for CC purchases or transaction of any value. Nobody died.

Just show your ID and be done with it.
    Imagine if the rule said "everyone" but the clerks only asked people with Greek or Italian-sounding names.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    I just peeled off that thin sticker that you're supposed to sign your name on. Hasn't caused me any problems yet

Has he never gone shopping before? That is pretty damn common and if he thought for a few seconds he would be pissed at the ppl that don't ask not the ones that do.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    blacks will always feel persecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I forgot to include he did sign and he noticed the person in front of him wasn't asked for id for using their credit card for groceries as well
    Did they run it as credit or debit? If it is debt often punching in your pin is more then enough.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Not only did he overreact but he was really showing the world how ignorant he really is and how he not the cashier or anybody around made this into a race thing. That is one of the biggest problems today people looking for a reason to be insulted or upset when a lot of the time there is no reason to be.

The point of signatures on cards is to check they're the same. If the card is signed and they accept them, they are obligated to accept the transaction without ID. If they refuse, simply call visa, amex, master card, etc. to report it and the retailer. I've seen it happen before with people of various races. Same issues with things like electronic transactions like google wallet, apple pay, etc .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    blacks will always feel persecuted.
    You mean this guy's buddy and not all black people? Otherwise, you are not helping...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Don't stores have the swipe it yourself?

When I worked retail, I asked EVERYONE for their ID. Can't discriminate then. You wouldn't believe how many people "forgot" their ID.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by mhdoe View Post
    Not only did he overreact but he was really showing the world how ignorant he really is and how he not the cashier or anybody around made this into a race thing. That is one of the biggest problems today people looking for a reason to be insulted or upset when a lot of the time there is no reason to be.
    If you only apply the universal rule to the people of one race, it IS the race thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Yeah, he's overreacting. A store clerk has multiple reasons to ask for id. I'm white, but I've been asked for id on occasion as well (once when I was buying diapers for my kids). It isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    I write it in large letters in black marker. Can't really sign over it.
    Not over it, next to it. Then they can sign it, and the ID signature will match it or something. Although that sounds weird because most cards have the name on the other side.

Even if they do, unless they enter a pin for debit, you have the right to ask for ID.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Don't stores have the swipe it yourself?
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a thing outside of the US? I've never been asked to see ID if I'm not purchasing alcohol or cigarettes

I wish more places would require ID to use credit cards. Sometimes it's like they don't care who's card you use. ot though if the back of his card wasn't signed then yes it is required to show ID.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    If you only apply the universal rule to the people of one race, it IS the race thing.
    Is that the case this time, or are you making assumptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    Is that the case this time, or are you making assumptions?
    Isn't that what he said, that a white guy in front of them wasn't checked?

You can't sign for credit cards in Australia anymore, it's been phased out. PIN only.

Guy sounds like a total douche, the system is there to protect him (well, moreso his bank, but still).