Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Anyone says that this sounds remotely fun or interesting would be the first ones crying on the forums when they die.
    It would be endless whine threads about why should I stay dead because the tanks sucks or the healer sucks or the dps sucks.
    Nevermind if they die to enrage timers, one shot mechanics or heck falling or drowning.
    Quite frankly this would be an utter disaster.

P.s.
    Would pvp be allowed because being ganked would be worse than it ever has been.

Just open a restaurant that serves only anchovy pizzas. There are plenty of people out there who like them. You'll be richrichrich, because I love anchovies!

Also, lag.

It'd just become a gank-fest. They'd have to make town guards more deadly, put a level cap of 60 in, and mounts back to level 40 in order for me to give it a shot.

This sounds bad, and you should feel bad for suggesting it..

HAHA, im enjoying the replies, keep them coming!

Can't you just play like this on the current realms if it appeals to you so much? If you die you delete your character. There's your new game mode right there!

I'd like a "hardcore" server. All rates reduced, leveling extremely hard, no heirlooms, no flying.

But permanent death server? I can't see myself having any interest in that. Oops lag spike... and I'm dead, that was fun.

The obvious issue with this is that lag plays too big a factor. Unless you're on a dedicated fiber connection with literally zero downtime possible, it's just so risky. Even if you play perfectly and such, it's SO easy to wipe even in dungeons. One guy lags for a second, misses a cooldown, and you lose 1000 hours? No thanks. On a solo game like Diablo, maybe it makes sense. You can stack toughness and spec yourself to be much hardier.

They should add an ironman achievement at least.

As if the game doesn't suck enough already. Good thing people like the OP don't make the decisions. WoW woulda died years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Would play a Warlock or Shaman.

Or at least Rogue to avoid everybody.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it could be interesting, but like many others already pointed out, just to my variables for it to be successful.

Deleted
    Sounds fun. But what of the end-game? And what about the bugs? I can't count how many times I fell through the floor or got attacked by invisible mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wdh1974 View Post
    Simple, add perma death, no special anything or blizzard support, no transfer to or from just perma death. When you die you are deleted instantly, tho maybe allow your bank to remain. With the huge gap left for the next xpac im sure there are lots that would enjoy it. Would be interesting to see how far guilds can push content and such. Sure would have huge excitement while playing, the fear of death, taking encounters sooo serious like you never would have before. Gear would take on a new meaning and status symbols
    Horrible, terrible idea that would fail spectacularly.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Ah yes, a griefer's paradise. Sorry OP, not gonna happen, please feel free to switch to one of those shitty f2p MMOs with perma death and full player looting and whatever annoying crap they use to keep players away from their games.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Honestly, it's just not the same unless it's the ruleset for everyone on the server. Because, yes, part of the fun is knowing that when you kill someone you kill that character for good. And everyone goes into it with the knowledge that this can happen so it's not like it's griefing or any sort of anti-social attitude when everyone is consenting. It's the same reason you can't unflag for pvp on a pvp server. And also why flagging for pvp on a pve server is usually kind of lame and dumb.

Perma-death isn't for everyone (or likely even many), but for those who do it enjoy it it's quite a rush
    It isn't for everyone, but it is also not for every game. It worked in the SWG framework because the entire game worked differently. WoW on the other hand is designed around the fact that death is only a minor temporary setback.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It isn't for everyone, but it is also not for every game. It worked in the SWG framework because the entire game worked differently. WoW on the other hand is designed around the fact that death is only a minor temporary setback.
    Yeah, imagine raiding with perma death.

HARDMODE ENGAGED!

10+ Year Old Account
    Permanent death simply wouldn't work in WoW, as it's designed in a way that you are pretty much expected to die in any content past solo play and obviously, PvP. In games like Diablo it works for various reasons, like how loot, fighting/monsters and character building is designed in it.

PvE's reliance in WoW on unescapable and unforgiving bosses, having the need to coordinate with a dozen people (one death resulting in many, arranging raids with guildies who aren't dead/leveling/busy in rl...) and loot being locked away by all this is the greatest problem why permanent death just doesn't work. I can't quite figure out how exactly one could fix all of this (not that I would want developers to waste time pondering/working on this), other than by just playing Diablo.