Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the main reasons to reroll a monk is not the playstyle nor the fun or functionality, but the ability to count as melee even if you are specced as ranged/heal and the absurd synergy of class trinket + t18.

In raids, you can effectively ignore 50% of the boss mechanics that can only target ranged/heal players while still managing one of the highest heal uptimes possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Thank you for these awesome replies, I indeed love all these jade-colored spells and everything.

I just rolled my first monk, some minutes ago, hitting 15 soon, wont stop until 100!

Thanks again.
    Ouch, i thought you already got the monk @ lv 100 and ~695 gear + up to date legendary quest otherwise "rerolling" does not make much sense at the end of an xpac ^^

Still, have fun and enjoy your journey.
    Last edited by Yuna; 2015-07-26 at 12:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    At least out of RDruid, Disc Priest, Holy Priest, and MW, which I've all played, compared to MW the other three are fuckin' easy as shit to play decently. With MW there's a bit more of a learning curve before you put out decent numbers. It's not bad once you put in the time to learn how all the abilities interact, which is not that much time to invest really, but it's not as pick-up-and-go-intuitive as the other specs.
    Agreed. I mean have you played a resto shaman lately? Snooze fest. MW has so much to do it can get overwhelming when you're trying to learn. The many buttons!

Deleted
    I actually re-rolled MW for 6.2 and I love it! I switched from a Resto Shaman which I just got bored with and after 4 years, a change of class is a good thing!

Monks are great healers imo. They're interesting to play because they're so fun! You can hit stuff and heal, too. Plus I think their heals have the nicest look, which makes the UI nice haha. Honestly though like I find it way less boring than a druid or priest. You need to get used to using two different resources (mana & chi) but I really enjoy it. That said, they're really good raid heals but not so great single target. I hated monk while I was leveling because it was so bad in 5 man. Once I got to raiding though it was a lot better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    It really isn't that complicated if you know it.
    No sh*t; it'll never be complicated once you know it -- the point is that getting to know it, in comparison to other healers, is rather difficult and has quite a steep learning curve.

I don't main a monk myself (I main Shadow Priest, wehwehweh) but Mistweaver just looks incredibly fun, even if it requires a learning curve to "git gud" etc. The short time i've had with it has been a lot more interactive, in my opinion, than the other healers -- of which i've had experience with all besides a shaman.
    Last edited by mmoc74c0a83d1a; 2015-07-26 at 10:15 PM. Reason: casual blocking out of swear

Quote Originally Posted by Xccentric View Post
    No sh*t; it'll never be complicated once you know it -- the point is that getting to know it, in comparison to other healers, is rather difficult and has quite a steep learning curve.

I don't main a monk myself (I main Shadow Priest, wehwehweh) but Mistweaver just looks incredibly fun, even if it requires a learning curve to "git gud" etc. The short time i've had with it has been a lot more interactive, in my opinion, than the other healers -- of which i've had experience with all besides a shaman.
    Yeah it's quite interactive. But what learning curve is there? The only learning curve is one that applies to all healers, using the right spell at the right time.

Shaman gotta be aware of present and future movement because they have to turret heals. Same with paladin. Druid has to be pro active like disc having hots/shield ticking before the damage hits. MW has to make sure renewing Mist is out on the raid before a mechanic hits to get uplifts going. Can be tracked with add-ons (again, all healers would do) and with pool of mists there really isn't an excuse to not have the raid covered with renewing Mist.

In mop there was a bit of a learning curve but wod has tuned it down with the talents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedarii View Post
    Agreed. I mean have you played a resto shaman lately? Snooze fest. MW has so much to do it can get overwhelming when you're trying to learn. The many buttons!
    I really dont understand this.

I have been playing as a healer since 2006 and now in 2015 I have seen a lot of players say MW is the hardest healing spec, the OP has mained a resto druid and in my opinion you should be able to play any healer spec with ease if you have mained a healer.

As for most buttons, I'm pretty sure shamans still hold that title.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Yeah it's quite interactive. But what learning curve is there? The only learning curve is one that applies to all healers, using the right spell at the right time.

In mop there was a bit of a learning curve but wod has tuned it down with the talents.
    Exactly.
    Monks blanket RM just like riptide, PW:shield, Rejuve..

Technically all healers are the exact same, we all have spells that suit certain situations even if some are more powerful than others such as Tranquility and Revival.

There is no learning curve unless you have never played a healer, which is why all my healers regardless of class have the exact same keybinds for similar spells.
    Last edited by mmoce4fd1a8c77; 2015-07-26 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushu View Post
    Exactly.
    Monks blanket RM just like riptide, PW:shield, Rejuve..

Technically all healers are the exact same, we all have spells that suit certain situations even if some are more powerful than others such as Tranquility and Revival.

There is no learning curve unless you have never played a healer, which is why all my healers regardless of class have the exact same keybinds for similar spells.
    When I was first looking at all the spells Mistweavers had, it was not at all clear what the "rotation" was until I had seen almost all of the spells. There's a lot of interaction between abilities, both inherent (ReM&Uplift, SooM+SM+EM) and resource-based (need to generate chi to spend it). For example, when I first saw ReM, I was like, "okay, is this like my Rejuv or like my Wild Growth?" Actually, the answer is a little of both. It has a cooldown but doesn't do very much healing. Instead, it's just required for Uplift, but that wasn't clear until I also learned how Uplift works. As a result, I realized I should use it on cooldown all the time (in MoP) so that Uplift would always be available when I need it, but that wasn't clear until I had seen most of the abilities to see the big picture of how the spec works.

Contrast that to reading the tooltip for Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing, Chain Heal, or Wild Growth and you see immediately the kind of healing situations you would use that spell in.
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Hi,

At first, you might find the thread title dumb, but I really need some positive opinions from people who maining a monk.
    Mainly I'd like to continue healing in PvE, nothing serious just dungeons and Heroic raids.

I really like the concepts of the monk, but I'm kinda scared if it is too hard or boring or what not. Going to change my main char from Resto Druid after played it for years. I was thinking on rolling a monk and that's why I'm here.

So please tell me, why do YOU love your monk?
    Nobody can tell you anything that will decide if you'll like something. You must try it yourself. That said, these kinds of threads are popping up left and right. And I suspect it's because classes are so homogenized that people can't really tell what separates classes anymore. So they need other people to point it out for them.

Because classes are starting to melt together. People want to beat all these unique, cool nuances that aren't really there anymore.

Do roll a monk and try it. If you like it, gear. If not, no time wasted. Because everything in a video game is wasting time technically.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

I main BrM and OS WW...

YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME WANT TO PLAY MW!!!!! may start a new toon to try this thing out...

I played a monk in MoP and loved it. I was skeptical with the stuff they announced for WoD and went resto druid.

Rdruid is not bad but it's a lot less interesting.

Sometimes as a MW, interesting can be bad, but more often it's good and keeps things fun.

I went back when the opportunity presented itself somewhere in Highmaul and haven't regretted it. Still play the druid as an alt, just finished 8/8 cm golds on her, so I do kinda work on it and keep the muscle memory there to a point, but I'm very happy maining a mistweaver, and wouldn't have it any other way.

So I dunno, if you need convincing to try it, there it is, but ultimately you should stick with what works for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuna View Post
    One of the main reasons to reroll a monk is not the playstyle nor the fun or functionality, but the ability to count as melee even if you are specced as ranged/heal and the absurd synergy of class trinket + t18.

In raids, you can effectively ignore 50% of the boss mechanics that can only target ranged/heal players while still managing one of the highest heal uptimes possible.

Ouch, i thought you already got the monk @ lv 100 and ~695 gear + up to date legendary quest otherwise "rerolling" does not make much sense at the end of an xpac ^^

Still, have fun and enjoy your journey.
    I have to agree. Too many people reroll nowadays. I see it on my guild and is a burden on the guild. Because not only did we lose a toon that is geared, but now we have to gear this one up.

The grass isn't always greener. Find a class that you like and focus on it.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    At least out of RDruid, Disc Priest, Holy Priest, and MW, which I've all played, compared to MW the other three are fuckin' easy as shit to play decently. With MW there's a bit more of a learning curve before you put out decent numbers. It's not bad once you put in the time to learn how all the abilities interact, which is not that much time to invest really, but it's not as pick-up-and-go-intuitive as the other specs.
    I agree. It really is the most complicated of all the healer classes. That's not to say it's hard to play, but claiming that it's not complicated when compared to the other healing classes is just dumb. I've played Resto Druid, Holy Pally, and MW in raid environments and all of the rest(Disc, Holy Priest, and Resto Shaman) at max level and MW has been the most in depth of all of them. Shaman is really the only one that compares in my opinion, but it's really only complicated because of totem management.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokcihc View Post
    It really is the most complicated of all the healer classes. That's not to say it's hard to play
    Exactly, which I'm sure is what we were trying to get at in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedarii View Post
    It is the most complicated healer class in my opinion, but the best part? You never run out of things to do. Not a lot of damage coming out? Go melee things. Aoe damage everywhere? Massive aoe healing to counter. There's also a lot of room for movement compared to other healers as well. Rolling always comes in handy, and mana tea can be a great way to quickly grab mana back (just don't glyph it).

You'll love it once you get the hang of it properly, guarantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragagrogog View Post
    Most complicated healing class, good def cooldowns and mobility (teleport yey!), melee status(this sometimes sux in terms of fun factor tho), awesome 4set this tier.
    This really depends on the fight, look at hellfire high council for example, the "complicated healing class" is so not true here.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...798&metric=hps
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=19

It is chinese, but 80% of his healing is done by just channeling soothing mist with his class trinket..
    For the other fights its mainly get your renewing mist on the tanks + a other player which gets constant dmg ( orb carrier on iskar.. people with debuffs on socrathar/council etc) and spam uplift. The main "skill" you have to get here, is knowing when to place your renewing mist, and not just blow all 3 charges as soon as they come up.

Mistweaver is the BEST mana management healer around atm. Your best stat after int is spirit. You want to have as much spirit as you can, for reason 1; you wont run out of mana while casting and 2. IF you run out of mana, your mana tea regeneration scales with your ammount of spirit, so the more spirit you have, the more mana you regain per stack. Thats also why you DONT/DO NOT/NEVER WANT/WOULD NEVER TAKE the mana reduction trinket from socrathar(?), but instead go for the mythic spirit trinket from blackhand. i tested myself that ~350 spirit already gave me like 800 mana regen, so a almost 800(?) spirit trinket from blackhand would give you about 2k mana regen.. This vs the 800 mana reduction on the mythic version(?) blows the mana reduction trinket out of concideration.

For me its atm. that when i channel soothing mist, which costs 12k a channel(?) that i actually regen more mana in that time than what i spend on using it.

As you can see here; Mistweaver monk is quite competative to all other healers.

I personally main WW with MW offspec for whenever my guild needs a extra healer in mythic, so far thats been hellfire council (healed the complicated way as i linked above, doing 85k hps myself (with 4 other healers)).
    Last edited by mmoc77fbe947bc; 2015-07-29 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhead View Post
    As you can see here; Mistweaver monk is quite competative to all other healers.
    Why not https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/8/#metric=hps? But of course, meters aren't everything... Disc and HPal are still feeling pretty mandatory, otherwise you just have spike damage deaths or tank deaths, respectively. Except for that, it looks almost balanced due to raid cooldowns and utility. Actually, most raids prefer a shaman for most fights over either RDruid or MW because they have so many cooldowns, despite the lower HPS, so that could be improved. Remember that burst HPS is pretty important for healing, and Shamans can burst (i.e. use one of their FOUR cooldowns) basically whenever you need them to.

- - - Updated - - -

It is chinese, but 80% of his healing is done by just channeling soothing mist with his class trinket..
    This was a bug and has been fixed:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Fixed a number of issues with Sacred Draenic Incense for Mistweavers where it would benefit twice from effects which increase healing taken, and could bypass area-of-effect healing caps.
    For the other fights its mainly get your renewing mist on the tanks + a other player which gets constant dmg ( orb carrier on iskar.. people with debuffs on socrathar/council etc) and spam uplift. The main "skill" you have to get here, is knowing when to place your renewing mist, and not just blow all 3 charges as soon as they come up.
    You guys are still missing the point; read my posts. People aren't saying what they mean, really. Once you figure out how the spec works, it's not too complicated for your average player to play it. It's just hard to pick up when you're first starting compared to other healers.

You want to have as much spirit as you can, for reason 1; you wont run out of mana while casting and 2. IF you run out of mana, your mana tea regeneration scales with your ammount of spirit, so the more spirit you have, the more mana you regain per stack.
    Not really, it's just mathematically good for total healing. That's the #1 reason by far that you want Spirit. The reasons you state are just kind of derivatives of that.

Thats also why you DONT/DO NOT/NEVER WANT/WOULD NEVER TAKE the mana reduction trinket from socrathar(?), but instead go for the mythic spirit trinket from blackhand. i tested myself that ~350 spirit already gave me like 800 mana regen, so a almost 800(?) spirit trinket from blackhand would give you about 2k mana regen.. This vs the 800 mana reduction on the mythic version(?) blows the mana reduction trinket out of concideration.
    Actually, they're very comparable. IDK why you'd say Phylactery is terrible; that's not what the math says. Check the trinket spreadsheet (by Slakos) in my signature, and there's a link to my theorycraft reasoning on the right in the spreadsheet.
    Last edited by Geodew; 2015-07-30 at 06:38 AM.
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

I love my monk for tanking & dps, but I do prefer resto druids as my heals.