10+ Year Old Account

LFG accountability system

(Posted this on the WoW forums, but most of the people there just ended up thinking it meant players had the ability to ban you, because people can't read words good. Wanted your opinion MMO champ)

I was messing around on LoL the other day, and a thought occurred to me, why can't WoW have a similar system for dealing with less than favorable players? In a way that doesn't fill the GM's inbox with complaints?

blizzard can set up a tribunal system, much like LoL, a system that actually works. If you be a jerk in LFG enough times. You get suspended from queuing for LFG. That way if you wanna play the game, you gotta find people the old fashioned way. If you continue to end up on the tribunal, and continue to be a jerk. You lose your LFG privileges.

It's really that simple. This way, jerk players who curse and scream, who bash other players, who harass in whispers across server can still play wow, they just aren't allowed to play with other people.

LoL was able to improve the attitude toxic players through this system. I think it's something blizzard should really look into.

This would improve the productivity of GMs, allowing them to focus on other issues, one on one care. Address the issue of "banning" players from the game, it won't hurt blizzard revenue. A three step system Get reported>unbiast players review and decide if it was an offence>GM briefly reviews the decision and signs off on it

EDIT: Even if you don't like the tribunal system. Allowing GMs to revoke LFG privileges might be a step in the right direction. As a compromise between my rather drastic change, and what we currently have?

Double Edit: back in the day, before LFG, players regulated themselves just fine, servers would stop playing with mean players that's why LFG is toxic, but ye olde days of "LFM Sethikk halls" was better.

This is a throwback, and a system that works much like it worked back in the day. It allows the community to work as a community.

The GM would be the final decision maker in all suspensions and bans (For people not reading the whole thing)

Upon further reading posts in this thread, I feel like my post needs to be further simplified for millennials who don't like reading over 144 characters.

1) understand the point is to weed out offenses that aren't actually offenses, reducing the work load of GMS,

2) all the players decide is whether or not the complaint merits being viewed by a GM

3) that the players don't decide if you get banned, and that the punishment is suspended from LFG

Lol was able to reduce the reports presented to their GMs by 20%

(I had to keep adding, and simplifying the post, because I think the average intelligence is lesser on WoW forums, than MMO champion, but I will leave my edits up just in case)

Remember my post has two ideas. Instead of being suspended from WoW, you just get a cooldown on the group finder tool. And that players can help reduce the workload of GMs.
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2015-07-21 at 06:43 PM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

I wouldn't mind something like this, better than what we currently have. I remember when GMs would actively police servers, and would have whisper conversations with you. And be all RPy and junk.
    Beta club member

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW can't have good things, is why WoW doesn't have those nice neat features other games can have -- as this community will abuse it. -_-

I mean, look at the kick system that was implemented in Cata, that had to add a kick timer on it because so many people abused it.

Add a system like you propose, people will be reporting for nonsensical reasons. I already seen what these guys kick for -- race; gear; outfits ... any fancy.

Which means the best way for players to deal with asshats and trolls, is let the player have the whole battle.net account ignore (even better with phasing ... don't even want to see them in game). So every nasty critter on an asshat and/or troll's account you will not see again in the game. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Kevyne-Shandris; 2015-07-21 at 06:55 PM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how readily tribunals are abused in LoL, the last thing you should want is any modicum of power over one another in this community's hands. I would actually look at LoL's community as what NOT to aspire to.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    WoW can't have good things, is why WoW doesn't have those nice neat features other games can have -- as this community will abuse it. -_-
    I can't imagine it could be abused any more than the abysmal LoL community.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Given how readily tribunals are abused in LoL, the last thing you should want is any modicum of power over one another in this community's hands. I would actually look at LoL's community as what NOT to aspire to.
    The report system is abused in Lol, to my knowledge, not the tribunal system. And the report system in wow is likewise abused. It's just all handled behind closed doors. The idea, according to the OP, is just to reduce the levels of reports given to GMs.

which was the original point of Lols system
    Beta club member

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the key thing to remember, is the GMs always get the final say. The idea is to weed out people abusing the reporting system, buy having the playerbase decide if it's worth the GM's time to look at it.

I would actually love more discussion about having a group finder cooldown, be the punishment for bad behavior. Since Blizzard doesn't really ban people from the game for harassment
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but I have had 3 reports for 'Offensive Language' in LoL recently and I NEVER use the chat unless I absolutely HAVE to. I have seen match long fighting, flaming, threats, feeding and general ass hattery and I get reported for not saying ANYTHING ?! Nope, just not going to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Yeah, the key thing to remember, is the GMs always get the final say. The idea is to week about people abusing the reporting system, but having the playerbase decide if it's worth the GM's time to look at it.
    Maybe if three-day bans were handed out for abusing the tribunal system, it might work after a rough first couple months.

I would actually love more discussion about having a group finder cooldown, be the punishment for bad behavior. Since Blizzard doesn't really ban people from the game for harassment
    This feels like something that could be addressed by making the vote-kick system a little smarter. Force players to list the reason they're initiating a vote-kick, and set the system to highlight certain phrases (hostility, ninja, trolling, ninja-pulling, and other unsavory behavior). If someone gets XYZ vote-kicks against them with red flags in the reason-why bar, they get an enforced 24-48h cooldown (volcanoing up to a week for repeat offenders). By the same token, people who abuse the system (again with certain words or phrases highlighted within the system) get increasingly-long cooldowns on their ability to initiate a kick, up to a week if they're kicking everyone willy-nilly.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivana View Post
    Sorry but I have had 3 reports for 'Offensive Language' in LoL recently and I NEVER use the chat unless I absolutely HAVE to. I have seen match long fighting, flaming, threats, feeding and general ass hattery and I get reported for not saying ANYTHING ?! Nope, just not going to work.
    I'm not really advocating for a cut and paste system.

Remember, your "reports" were reviewed by a game master on Lol.

And currently in WoW, I bet you get reported a lot too. The idea here is to reduce the amount of bullshit reports that end up on the GMs desk. It's a productivity increasing venture

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if three-day bans were handed out for abusing the tribunal system, it might work after a rough first couple months.

This feels like something that could be addressed by making the vote-kick system a little smarter. Force players to list the reason they're initiating a vote-kick, and set the system to highlight certain phrases (hostility, ninja, trolling, ninja-pulling, and other unsavory behavior). If someone gets XYZ vote-kicks against them with red flags in the reason-why bar, they get an enforced 24-48h cooldown (volcanoing up to a week for repeat offenders). By the same token, people who abuse the system (again with certain words or phrases highlighted within the system) get increasingly-long cooldowns on their ability to initiate a kick, up to a week if they're kicking everyone willy-nilly.
    sorry, autocorrect messed with the post you responded to. Idk if you got the intended message out of that, lol. The system's intent is to just act as a filter for what reports are worthy of being reviewed by a GM.

Deleted
    No, thanks, that means diverting resources to GMs that do nothing but watch and verify millions of reports every day. If the system become automated, it will be abused the shit out of. Guild groups wanting to troll some random, bros wanting to troll some random, hell just random people wanting to troll some guy because he plays the form class or some shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is nice. The only problem I have with it is this: What happens when (not if, because it WILL happen) someone reports someone else for no reason, or for a stupid reason that's not worth reporting (A healer asking for a tank to slow down, etc). In an automated system, the innocent player gets negative points for no reason. If a GM has to review such a report, it's a waste of time.

I don't know what this tribunal system is, but I assume it would work like a jury in a court case. How would that work? Would tribunal members only see chat logs? A full replay of the last minute or so before the report? Jerks will find a way to game the system to screw innocent players over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Disclaimer: *Soon* is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. *Soon* may not actually occur soon. *Soon* will occur sometime between right now and the heat death of the universe...probably... We COULD make *Soon* occur sooner, but it would cost you a raid tier.