10+ Year Old Account

Kyrgyzstan tears up cooperation accord with US (GGT)

http://news.yahoo.com/kyrgyzstan-tea...162938284.html

Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) (AFP) - Ex-Soviet Kyrgyzstan on Tuesday announced it was tearing up a long-running cooperation agreement with the United States after Washington awarded a rights prize to a jailed ethnic minority campaigner.

Central Asian Kyrgyzstan and the United States inked a cooperation deal in 1993 and the strategically located nation hosted a key US military base supplying the war effort in Afghanistan until 2014.

Kyrgyzstan, however, has pursued a strongly pro-Russian foreign policy since incumbent President Almazbek Atambayev was elected in 2011.

Washington warned Monday that any move to sever the agreement "could put assistance programmes that benefit the Kyrgyzstani people in jeopardy".

Kyrgyzstan's foreign ministry last week slammed the US State Department's decision to give its Human Rights Defender Award to Azimjon Askarov, an ethnic Uzbek.

Askarov was sentenced to life imprisonment for his alleged role in inciting clashes between Uzbeks and Kyrgyz in the south of the country five years ago.

A number of foreign governments and civil rights advocates inside and outside the country have spoken out against the jailing of Askarov, who was noted for regularly exposing the excesses of local police in the ethnically divided region.

The bilateral cooperation agreement is expected to be officially terminated from August 20.

The less we interact with countries whose names are unpronounceable the better.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm constantly amazed at the "loyalty" to Russia some of their ex-Soviet states have. It amazes me how anyone, especially a grown man like Atambayev can be so profoundly stupid. Hey, he has every right not to work with the USA if he doesn't want to, but it amazes me that he'd chase after Russia. Likely, there's shady shit going on on the sides as usual.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Dude, the country's name ends in -stan. That's slang for "nobody cares".

Well woohoo for Kegelstan.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Kyrgyzstan

wat? where?

who?

Quote Originally Posted by Juke Boxer View Post
    Dude, the country's name ends in -stan. That's slang for "nobody cares".
    Pakistan? It could support ISiS with radioactive materials.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm constantly amazed at the "loyalty" to Russia some of their ex-Soviet states have. It amazes me how anyone, especially a grown man like Atambayev can be so profoundly stupid. Hey, he has every right not to work with the USA if he doesn't want to, but it amazes me that he'd chase after Russia. Likely, there's shady shit going on on the sides as usual.
    Similar to Ukraine, the leadership of this country may be getting some kind of benefits from Russia. It is also possible that they see what is going on with Ukraine, and have decided to be friendly with Russia so bad stuff doesn't happen to them. Russia is much closer than the US and other countries aren't doing much to help out Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by malgin View Post
    Pakistan? It could support ISiS with radioactive materials.
    I can't imagine the Pakistani government supporting ISIS.