Night Elf RP Concepts!

I would like some advice on how potentially I could do a RP on night elves and/or night elf races (moonkins and shit), but my concepts seem terrible on paper. I need help thinking of roles, storyline and where I could host the RP.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter which kind of night elf you are. Old or young, adaptive or traditional, kind or rude, cookie cutter or unique. Remember you can still RP a basic sentinel and be unique. So you can either choose to create a unique concept of a character or take a basic concept and then shape your own character to be unique based on his/her mindset. Remember, the most important part is not that your character is super unique, but rather that it has potential for you to truly immerse yourself in her/him. My suggestion if you're going with young and adaptive is nelf male sentinel or priest, or nelf female druid, or nelf mage (do remember that far from all the nelf mages are highborne, a fair number are kaldorei learning the ways of the arcane), however if you're going with older and traditional, try out a female priestess or sentinel, or a male druid.

In the end it's up to you. Repeating myself here, it's more important to create a character with a personality you can immerse yourself into, rather than a super unique character that's made to be interesting and cool, because characters like that quickly get dull, because you spend more time developing skill-set and such, and less time on an interesting personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Avoid the pitfalls of being a stereotypical night elf RPer, as in dramatic, cliché (oh woe is me war of the ancients) and ultimately boring. Focus first and foremost on making an individual, not some cut from a mould Night Elf, but rather one who is aware of her or his heritage but open to learning about the greater world and adapting to it from the perspective of a Night Elf who may be a few centuries or even millennia old. Don't be tragic and arrogant, people who do that just suck at RP in general, but especially night elf RP on account of no night elf in the story has been portrayed as such with the exception of Highborne (who need to jump off a cliff)
    You seem to be able to give an original character examplary, adressed to the OP's need. Would you pass a character sheet of your own N.E?

Deleted
    Yes, that's what he meant.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/917101950

Hope this helps. Do not listen to what anyone of these so called roleplayers say, follow a proper guide and you may one day play a kaldorei properly.

The best personal suggestion I can make is to find a normal Kaldorei concept you would like to go with and shape your character in roleplay from there. Let it grow up. You cannot instantly have this refined character who is X's son and of house "blargh" - all that bogus human RPers come up with.
    Last edited by Lillyth; 2015-10-12 at 07:35 PM.

Might also help to know what class you're thinking of picking up.

Ok here are the two main rules of Night Elf RP which I see many people break over and over again which I must say in Tyler Durden fashion.

The first rule of Night Elf role play is you are not born in Darnassus or on Teldrassil
    The second rule of Night Elf role play is YOU ARE NOT BORN IN DARNASSUS OR ON TELDRASSIL

Deleted
    Well, congrats for actually wanting to try something new! Most folks just roleplay humans as its arguably simpler, so non-human roleplay is wonderful. Now, for my thoughts...

First thing I would suggest is; it's very important to remember that you're a Night Elf. Not a human. So many night elf roleplayers I see are just purple humans with a hard-on for trees. It's absurd I'm pointing out the obvious, I know, but you need to always keep the mindset that you are not Human. So any Human customs you'd automatically do in real life, you should hesitate and consider whether or not a Night Elf would do that. Always keep the Elf mindset - not a Human one.

It's impossible for us, as IRL humans, to comprehend being able to live for hundreds if not thousands of years. But to roleplay a Night Elf you have to try to imagine. Night Elves can run through their forests, blindfolded, knowing each and every turn and step and leap before they're even considered an adult. What they would see as an Elven child would likely have more awareness of their surroundings then any grizzled Human. As I said, it's impossible to be perfect at Night Elf roleplay, but you can definitely aspire to it.

The fact that Night Elves are so very capable of being overpowered in roleplay means you have to be careful. It's a challenging race to roleplay and balance, but it's an incredibly rewarding experience. What other folks have said and linked here should help you out.

Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently started to role play as a Shen'dralar Highborne male mage. I really like them, i find them very interesting and mysterious / creepy.
    Also, male night elves mages are super rare to find, which make me somehow unique and i love it.
    I have a question though, it is possible to say that my Highborne is, let's say 11302 years old? Are they actually that old?
    I mean the Shen'dralar were alive back then when Azshara was their still queen right?

And yes Moon Blade, Highborne are very hated among the night elves roleplayers as i've witnessed so far. It seems that most of them would indeed want me to jump of a cliff .

Deleted
    NatureDrake, you have to remember one specific thing... Humans learn at a faster rate than night elves. It's pretty much described in the way that the high elves dealt with human mages, having taught them and they being natural spellcasters and their entire people with a lifespan that's a 100 times shorter than the average nelf's and they completely mastered the arts of arcane spellcasting within a single generation. The night elves were also BEATEN by the warsong clan when they first met them, it took Cenarius to turn the tide of the battle and even then they still lost (with demonic blood flowing through the orcs granted, but still). Night elves are not naturally overpowered, living longer does not give you a natural power bonus against anyone. The draenei learned that pretty quickly against the orcs, millenia of experience will do nothing if you do not know the way your enemy does combat. The night elves were overwhelmed by the warsong style of doing war, despite having seen a very similar one fighting the demons during the War of the Ancients.

With night elves there is a clear schism between two philosophies. One which want to stick to tradition, some who are quite fanatic about tradition (Like Maiev aka the crazy nelf bitch), and one who wants to see the world, break tradition in order to overcome the new things out there.
    The old philosophy are the people who are against male priests and sentinels and female druids, the ones who are against their people having anything to do with arcane. The people who wants things to stay like they were, the female sentinel refusing to take orders from her male sentinel superior, the male druid reluctantly accepting a female thero'shan, and the female Priestess of the Moon who looks down upon the male night elf dressed in the robes of a priest learning how to be one.
    The new philosophy are the male sentinels, the male priests, the female druids, the night elf mages, the night elf hunter or ranger using a gun rather than a bow, the night elf engineer learning how to build and repair a cannon or even a tank. They're the people who believe that adapting to the world rather than sticking to tradition is the best way to live.

And no, not all night elf mages are Highborne.
    Last edited by mmoc661de564ba; 2015-10-17 at 12:42 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Be unique, not snowflakey.

Learn your lore.

Observe others.

Then see why you SHOULDNT RP like them.

1. Name your character Xxillidanxx.
    2. Get a blindfold.
    3. Follow around female night elves and ask them why they like your brother more.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just have to know your history, and how your character sees it. I would look at the two Archetypes; Illidan and Malfurion. One regrets the War, and seeks to atone themselves by living in seclusion and pursuing peace. The other seeks to fight fire with fire. They are power hungry, they are an elf and proud, they ruled the world and want everyone to know it. You should use these attitudes as sprinkles to go on top of your character's personality, however. Both are only general guidelines as to how your character would see the world.